SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my S60R to a shop to replace my slave cylinder. He informed me that i should also replace the clutch and flyweel at this time. I replaced with stock clutch and a used dual mass flywheel. Clutch slips at 4000 rpm at half throttle. Shop did job twice and cant figure out why its slipping. It was the original clutch with about 100000 miles on it with no slipping. I bought the car used with upgraded parts IPD software, 3 inch exhaust besides that im not sure. Mechanic told me that original clutch wasnt slipping because the bellhousing had brake fluid in it. What should we do?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I brought my S60R to a shop to replace my slave cylinder. He informed me that i should also replace the clutch and flyweel at this time. I replaced with stock clutch and a used dual mass flywheel. Clutch slips at 4000 rpm at half throttle. Shop did job twice and cant figure out why its slipping. It was the original clutch with about 100000 miles on it with no slipping. I bought the car used with upgraded parts IPD software, 3 inch exhaust besides that im not sure. Mechanic told me that original clutch wasnt slipping because the bellhousing had brake fluid in it. What should we do?
Lots of variable at play here. Are you using the correct DM flywheel that you purchased used? What model year is your S60R? Did you reuse your original clutch or buy a used or new clutch disc/pressure plate?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Dual mass is correct. 2004 S60R New OEM clutch kit with pressure plate.
There are two dual mass flywheels used on the R, depending on your engine's serial number. You should make sure you found the right one. One has a deeper recess cut into the flywheel, where the clutch disc mates when assembled.

Also, was the used flywheel resurfaced at all?

Was the clutch disc properly installed using Volvo special tools? You must used a pressure plate compressor and a clutch disc self adjusting mechanism tool.

Credit to Impulse922 for a picture of the self adjusting mechanism tool:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Get ALL parts new. It's not worth it to re-do over and over again. Providing the release mechanism/system is working right and the system is bled properly, irregular wear on the flywheel can cause slippage. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok yah the shop doesnt know what flywheel they used. Being that i don't know the power of the motor should i got with a single fly and a stage 2+ clutch? From what the shop was saying that it is boosting at 24 psi

·
Premium Member
10,799 Posts
Ok yah the shop doesnt know what flywheel they used. Being that i don't know the power of the motor should i got with a single fly and a stage 2+ clutch? From what the shop was saying that it is boosting at 24 psi
24 psi?!? Should be around 15 lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yah thats what he told me. don't know how he got that number since i dont have a boost gauge. So best case get a new single mass flywheel and oem clultch kit and install. I wish my mechanic would have known what he was doing. Im just going to bring it to the dealer

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
There are 2 OEM clutches for the R and they switched when the AWD went to pre-charged rears. Buying the wrong clutch will cause the presure plate to slip like you are discribing.

Look at this photo, 04's and 05's get the one that looks rusted. The 06+ get the one that looks shiny. The different is the clover shape bar on the silver one:

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
There are 2 OEM clutches for the R and they switched when the AWD went to pre-charged rears. Buying the wrong clutch will cause the presure plate to slip like you are discribing.

Look at this photo, 04's and 05's get the one that looks rusted. The 06+ get the one that looks shiny. The different is the clover shape bar on the silver one:

Dude you're like the Human Volvo R Encyclopedia. :)

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
What are your ideas on brake fluid causing old clutch not to slip?
Fluid contamination of any type that is likely to be found in your engine bay will only cause the clutch to slip more! There are wet oil immersion clutches,often used on motorcycles, but this is NOT ONE!

I call bogus on any such claim as brake fluid causing the old clutch NOT to slip.

Others have nailed the problem, you must have the correct components or you will experience what you have.

Also regardless of your mods, a new clutch will not slip at half throttle, 4000 RPM.

I am a fan of the stock clutch assembly myself, but others prefer aftermarket.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Is this true?

I have a 2005 but every parts site shows me the bottom clutch kit when I enter my car info... This is tripping me out. Please advise!!!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Is this true?

I have a 2005 but every parts site shows me the bottom clutch kit when I enter my car info... This is tripping me out. Please advise!!!
What sites are you looking at? Because I believe KillerB is correct.

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
After a couple supplier sites, I was thinking the same thing, they were prob not reputable.... But then on iPd?

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/8841/120114-clutch-kit-2004-2005-s60r-v70r

There is another clutch post that is newer where the poster had installed a Sachs kit... Wonder if this this an issue
I would put less emphasis on the photos and more emphasis that the correct part numbers are ordered.
Since your car is a 2004-2005, you need clutch kit with part number 30783258.

Currently, Sachs does not offer an aftermarket clutch kit that will fit the 2006-2007 models, within their North American distribution market.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would put less emphasis on the photos and more emphasis that the correct part numbers are ordered.
Since your car is a 2004-2005, you need clutch kit with part number 30783258.

Currently, Sachs does not offer an aftermarket clutch kit that will fit the 2006-2007 models, within their North American distribution market.
Thanks George.

Your single mass flywheel fits with this kit correct?

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Thanks for catching this question George. He had PM' me and I just finished sending him over to you before browsing the site. I haven't been here for a while.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts