SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the difference? I am thinking of putting the Focus RS inlet cam in my S60R. Will there be any gain?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Go with the Enem set from Viva. Although you will need to do a custom tune or you will loose power.

Ron

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
So you're asking us if 1: do they fit at all, and 2: is the timing better on them?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go with the Enem set from Viva. Although you will need to do a custom tune or you will loose power.

Ron
That would be first price but don't have the money for them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are there any other cheaper options than the Enem cams?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Are there any other cheaper options than the Enem cams?
You're looking into uncharted territory for the R's. There are very few people that have put different cams on these cars. It's almost a waste of money, with the variable valve timing unless you're going to go for a HUGE timing difference, which then it would probably be best to delete the VVT.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Can anyone tell me the difference? I am thinking of putting the Focus RS inlet cam in my S60R. Will there be any gain?
Do you have the specs of the RS cams? Also, there will be no gains when you simply replace the VVT cams of the S60R, unless you modify the ECU software to take advantage of the new cams' profiles.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
The Focus' inline 5 is based on the S40, and does not use the same block or head as the P2 cars. I would assume that the cams are not interchangeable, as the lengths of the blocks are different iirc.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The Focus' inline 5 is based on the S40, and does not use the same block or head as the P2 cars. I would assume that the cams are not interchangeable, as the lengths of the blocks are different iirc.
IIRC the Focus RS uses the exact same engine as the R

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have the specs of the RS cams? Also, there will be no gains when you simply replace the VVT cams of the S60R, unless you modify the ECU software to take advantage of the new cams' profiles.
No I don't have the specs, I was hoping someone could tell me here and yes the software must be modified.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As already mentioned, RS engine is exactly the same as R (when it comes to internals, apart from block modifications).
Ok so the cams will fit? Just need to find out if fitted and software changed that it actually gives gains...well need to get the specs somewhere and compare them?!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Ok so the cams will fit? Just need to find out if fitted and software changed that it actually gives gains...well need to get the specs somewhere and compare them?!
See, the thing is, even if the motor is the same it makes nearly the same power... So why even bother?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
See, the thing is, even if the motor is the same it makes nearly the same power... So why even bother?
Yup, that car isn't really tuned much differently than the R. If you're going to do cams, this is a waste of money.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The Focus RS does not use the same engine as the R it uses a 2.5 derived from the B5254T3 (C30/S40/V50), hence why aftermarket intake manifold, intake kits, etc... fit the RS and the s40/c30s. The Focus shares the same platform and apparently the R manifold and k24 won't fit in those cars without modifying the firewall, which is why the RS uses a K16 turbo. Lastly, just look at pictures of the engine bays between the cars they are identical.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi guys,

I work at Volvo Cars engine development in Gothenburg and first of all: The cam profiles are identical on RS and R-line. The part no. are different due to different head and VVT layout.

JE jr is correct (he is a former colleague of mine). The cylinder liners are much stronger in the RS, other than that the block is pretty much a RN/R-line.

If you look at a S60R engine you will see some different mountings from those on a 2,3T from same years. This is because RNC (which RS is based on) and R-line uses the same block. The only difference is the machining in the factory. Oil galleries and crank case ventilation differ somewhat, and water path. You could easily use the stronger RS block in a R-line.

The cylinder head uses the same ports, valves etc, but they look different due to other intake, relocated thermostat etc.

For a cam swap, try something more for it to be worth the effort.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts