SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dilemma... I have a 2005 S60R with 70,000 miles on the odometer. I installed an IPD R style boost gauge a while back and it's only reading around 6-7 pounds of boost at WOT. If I let the gas off quickly it will spike to around 10-12 lbs. I re-ran new vacuum tubing yesterday and still had the same results. The next step I took was to unplug the TCV and drive with that to see what would happen. The results were interesting to say the least. I actually showed more boost (around 9 lbs) and I didn't have any check engine light come on.

I guess my next step would be to see what the wastegate setting is? I know a decent bit about cars, but I'm still semi Volvo illiterate :mad:

Any help is greatly appreciated, as taking my car to Volvo is a last resort!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
You already know what your wastegate is set at. When you unplugged the TCV, the amount of boost you got is the wastegate setting. 9lbs is too high. Turn it down to around 7. I'm guessing you're running in limp mode and that's why the boost is only going to 6-7.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car feels a little sluggish and under WOT it will falter and pick up occasionally. When I unplugged the TCV it felt even more sluggish. I am planning on heading somewhere like Autozone today to pick up another cheapie boost gauge just to test it and see if the IPD one has any issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
usgiorgi- I didn't see your post until after I had already posted mine. I didn't know that unplugging the TCV would let me know where my wastegate was set! I watched the IPD youtube video on how to adjust it so I'm going to attempt that this weekend. Will a bike pump really give me an accurate reading as to where it is set once I adjust it? And if my car is in limp mode, would it have thrown any codes I could read?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
usgiorgi- I didn't see your post until after I had already posted mine. I didn't know that unplugging the TCV would let me know where my wastegate was set! I watched the IPD youtube video on how to adjust it so I'm going to attempt that this weekend. Will a bike pump really give me an accurate reading as to where it is set once I adjust it? And if my car is in limp mode, would it have thrown any codes I could read?
I'm not sure if limp mode throws codes for the OBD2 readers. I'm sure it would show up in vida though. The quickest way to see if it is limp mode is to reset the ECU either by unplugging the battery for a few minutes or if your R is an 04, you can pull fuses #6 and #23 from the engine compartment fuse box, then try to start the car, but it wont start. Put the fuses back and start the car. The ECU will be reset and take it for a test drive. The car will be very fast for the first few moments. But if all of a sudden it starts slugging, the limp mode is back.

If the boost holds at ~14-15 after ECU reset, you know that you don't have a major leak and it's a sensor that's bad. Could be tcv, maf, the boost sensor on the intercooler, etc.. but since you're showing 9 lbs with the tcv unplugged, i'm betting limp mode due to the wastegate being set too high.

Also try driving with the MAF unplugged. That's gonna throw a CEL after a few miles, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try resetting the ECU and see if that has any effect. I will post results after I do this. I have an 05' R and I'd like to avoid disconnecting the battery because I'll lose all the EQ settings on my head unit (I installed a Pioneer Avic X-930bt in-dash screen/nav unit). Are there any fuses I can pull to reset the ECU?

I should have mentioned this earlier, but I'm not showing any negative boost (guage never swings below zero). Any idea what that could mean?

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I should have mentioned this earlier, but I'm not showing any negative boost (guage never swings below zero). Any idea what that could mean?
Faulty gauge - you should be -20ish at idle

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I'll try resetting the ECU and see if that has any effect. I will post results after I do this. I have an 05' R and I'd like to avoid disconnecting the battery because I'll lose all the EQ settings on my head unit (I installed a Pioneer Avic X-930bt in-dash screen/nav unit). Are there any fuses I can pull to reset the ECU?

Where did you tap into to get the pressure reading? If you tapped into the vac line from the intake manifold, then you will see vacuum readings. If you tapped into the "red" line from the TCV (the vac line that runs to the compressor housing) then you won't see negative pressure levels.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
#6 and #23 fuses also works on 05 not on 06/07 tho.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where did you tap into to get the pressure reading? If you tapped into the vac line from the intake manifold, then you will see vacuum readings. If you tapped into the "red" line from the TCV (the vac line that runs to the compressor housing) then you won't see negative pressure levels.
I just took a look... I tapped into the line with the yellow ring around it. Is that the correct one?

I also reset the ECU and saw no change in boost pressure

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Ugh no, use the line coming off the intake manifold, this will show proper boost/vac values:

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I just took a look... I tapped into the line with the yellow ring around it. Is that the correct one?

I also reset the ECU and saw no change in boost pressure
You tapped into the control line for the wastegate actuator. The TCV controls the amount of pressure that is applied to the "yellow" wastegate vac line in order to control how much pressure is applied to the actuator, thus opening and closing the wastegate.

In other words, you were reading the control pressure that was being applied to the wastegate actuator, not the actual manifold pressure being created by the turbo.

You need to tap into the manifold vacuum line (see BlazinBob's photo)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Other Boost Isues????

You tapped into the control line for the wastegate actuator. The TCV controls the amount of pressure that is applied to the "yellow" wastegate vac line in order to control how much pressure is applied to the actuator, thus opening and closing the wastegate.

In other words, you were reading the control pressure that was being applied to the wastegate actuator, not the actual manifold pressure being created by the turbo.

You need to tap into the manifold vacuum line (see BlazinBob's photo)

So i guess since this is a boost problem thread you guys could give me some help, i was driving home today and started to notice on my 2004 s60r it was feeling dragged down and i went to go look at my boost gauge and it was reading -1 pound of boost at idle or running or at highway speed it would spool some but i didn't want to push it in case something was wrong, i figured that it would be a vacuum leak, so i checked all my hoses and everything and everything appears to be good i tried resting the ecu and all that good stuff but nothing is seeming to work and i would like to get this stuff fixed any input or advice would be much appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts