SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,743 Posts
Why would you want to?

I don't actually know if you can, but it's one of the weaker blocks of Volvo's 5cyl motors.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would you want to?

I don't actually know if you can, but it's one of the weaker blocks of Volvo's 5cyl motors.
I didn't know that🤔, well long story short the car I just recently picked up with "head issues" actually had a melted piston on cylinder number two and was filled with coolant so I'm trying to replace the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,743 Posts
I'm sure a lot of Rs are sold with head issues, that wind up being a cracked #2 or #3 cylinder.

I'm not 100% sure, but I've got to imagine the block may have different mounting points? It'd probably be best just to get another block/engine from another p1 car.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I've got to imagine the block may have different mounting points?
Yes, the R engine (an RN engine) has different mounting points to the P1 engine (an RNC engine). The R's engine is held up from underneath, whereas the P1's engine is hung from above.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
It's the exact same block casting (from 05 up), but it has different ports machined in it for the cooling and PCV systems, and the motor mounts.

Here's an example of an 08 T5 motor, notice the P1 thermostat casting features below the #5 intake, and the P1 oil filter housing features on the bottom center? They're just not machined on this engine.

So it's not worth it to try and make it work unless you got it super cheap and have a machine shop to open up and block off features.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So my next question is how do I remove the engine from the car without taking it out the bottom since im doing this on my drive way and don't have alot of room to drop it out the bottom.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Definitely need a load leveler. It's pretty tight but can be done. I recommend removing the harmonic balancer for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts