SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I'd give my version of the experience with basic modifications in the order of installation:

Power:
1. R-Kelly CAI w/ K&N filter
2. GSX Todd Turbo intake pipe (Snabb)
3. EST Touring catback
4. GSXTodd ceramic coated DP
5. GSX Todd/Viva FMIC

SUspension/Handling:
1. Trac spec iPD sways & links
2. Bob villa engine strut mod
3. Top front engine strut bar
4. iPD Engine mount

2006 S60R GT now at 95k miles.

Please note I had installed these parts one at a time, drove a few hundred to tens of thousand miles before installing another. For example, I drove with a EST catback for a couple thousand miles before installing the DP. Then about 1000 miles before the FMIC. So I was able to notice any differences in between. However, If I had all the time, I would have experimented different combinations.

I will not go into installation review as most of the folks have covered in other threads, but you can private message me about it.

PLEASE NOTE: ALL THESE MODIFICATIONS WERE INSTALLED ON STOCK TUNE! I am due to meet ARD this month to question a tune, but I can tell you how I felt with stock tune. All ratings are of subjective nature - Subjective Rating of the Difference Felt (SRDF)

POWER:
1. R-Kelly CAI: It was very difficult to comment on the benefit of this modification as gain was slight and R-kelly's data proves it in older posts. I did not feel any different off the line, but I did feel a slight torque push on the freeway during a passing maneuver going 50 or on 3rd gear.

SRDF: 3.5 (could be better adding a 2nd CAI)

2. GSX Todd Turbo intake pipe/Snabb: Bottom line is, I thought this was one of the best mods I ever did. I truly felt a difference. The throttle was much more responsive, lighter, and more predictable...and this is on stock tune. Turbo spool is slightly quicker. I regret not doing this sooner.

You may not experience higher torque or power gain but it is the throttle (and maybe less turbo lag) that is greatly enhanced. I highly recommend it and is cheap compared to other power mods.

SRDF: 9

3. EST Touring catback: I chose the touring edition since I wanted something a bit more mellow than the sport version. Torque gain was slightly noticeable as the exhausts now exit faster, although I was running a stock DP to the cat. However I was told it will be the combination of DP and cat with tune that will reach its potential. If you're running on stock tune, it will be the throatier sound you're spending $700 on, not so much on performance.

SRDF: 2

4. GSXTodd ceramic coated DP: Louder turbo sounds! Throttle is slightly improved, torque is slightly noticeable (still stock tune), car felt a little faster, but at higher RPMs. The car's acceleration and RPM climb is a bit smoother....I think the most noticeable area is 4500+ RPM, though the stock intercooler wasn't working great so I felt a struggle between the engine allowing torque and RPM gains from quick exhaust exit and the stock intercooler trying to dissipate all the turbo heat.

SDRF: 6

5. GSX Todd/Viva FMIC: I always struggled with the decision to buy FMIC since I live in the greater Northwest area where temperatures rarely goes over 70 degrees. Only a few weeks a year it does. It is an expensive $700-800 piece and I felt where I live, the ambient temperatures are cool enough to maintain the power of the R. But science doesn't lie, cold air is more dense and oxygen rich which feeds into the cylinders, and this FMIC kit allows the design dissipate more heat. So I was driving earlier in the morning at 55 degrees, boost felt a lot more consistent and the car still pushes fantastic past 5000+ RPM. Throttle was slightly more touchy. Like the Snabb/turbo intake pipe, I regret not doing it sooner. I would choose this over the DP and exhaust though I'm not sure how the R reacts on FMIC with stock exhaust.

SDRF: 7

SUSPENSION/HANDLING
All I can say is the track spec sways is my favorite mod. I always favored handling improvements over straight line power. This is the first mod I recommend spending on, if any one has not done Stage 0 clean up yet. Then the strut bar, bob villa, and mounts made the steering more responsive especially at higher speeds. I give the track spec a 10, and the rest a 7-8. All were noticeable.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Cool post.
I always wondered what the Snabb would do- so I guess this is getting added to the cart.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Great post. Thanks.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

·
Registered
318 Posts
Great Post ! ! ! Josh is a Huge performance guy. & not afraid to get his hands dirty. His SR is one of my favorites. His TTS is just as big of a blast, Super cool car ! !

Only thing I would add . . . . . .When you think your done go Back over all your hose clamps ! ! ! The Viva FMiC is a Really nice kit. I run the PHMiC, so it's nice to see the dif in kit's.

See you on the 14th Josh ! !

............Dave

·
Registered
318 Posts
I am gonna do almost the same thing except I will probably get the IPD drop in intercooler. That sucka must RIP!

From what I've heard the IPD drop in, isn't so drop in. Viva's 720.00/ PHMiC's 650.00/ IPD 695.00

IPD's should be called a lift in. . . . . not a drop in. I'd be interested to see some side by side comparison's.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanx for the review, I just ordered a snabb intake pipe after reading it.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts