SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm a new member but have had my 06 S60R for a few years. Last year, I ponied up and put in a hybrid turbo, snab intake, 2.5 inch downpipe, 2.5 inch exhaust, front mount intercooler, and got an ARD tune.

The peak target boost according to ARD is set to 19psi. I repeatedly had some very strange 5th gear overboosting then the typical pull back from the ecu.

It was recommended that I adjust the wastegate actuator. What I am discovering though may be a faulty wastegate actuator (and not excluding that it may also be the tune??) .

In any case I've searched multiple threads in this forum, and took the measures to connect the yellow line to a gauge and small pump. However even with the actuator arm fully disconnected, it appears the arm only starts to move at nearly 6.8-7psi. Im suspecting it maybe faulty. Does that appear a correct assessment?

Also, Im looking to replace the actuator if thats the case, and given the above information is it even possible to get a stock wastegate actuator? or a replacement?

Im open to suggestions, as this issue (even following the ARD boost learning process,and even replacing the Pierburg TCV results in same issue.)

Ideas?

·
Registered
628 Posts
It is probably the ARD tune, although you may have other issues as well.

Here is someone else with a hybrid turbo that had issues with their ARD tune: kTa's ARD story

Regarding the wastegate, here is a useful comment from Gustav/Contrast in the above thread: Wastegate preload is correct if third gear WOT pull gives 7.5-8 psi boost with TCV unplugged.

Best of luck!

YUP.

Went Hilton and all the problems went away!

Another thing to note OP, ARD will tune your car without any other recommendations, Hilton would not even touch my car until I put in the RS4 MAF and Bigger injectors. He stated the hybrid turbo would out flow both, or at least make it unsafely close to the limits and he would not stand behind the tune without those parts...

Ditch the tune, go somewhere else, understand you lost money and never look back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply

YUP.

Another thing to note OP, ARD will tune your car without any other recommendations, Hilton would not even touch my car until I put in the RS4 MAF and Bigger injectors. He stated the hybrid turbo would out flow both, or at least make it unsafely close to the limits and he would not stand behind the tune without those parts...

Ditch the tune, go somewhere else, understand you lost money and never look back.

This is sadly what I was dreading as a response, but i had my suspicions.

In any case does it sound about right that with the wastegate actuator completely off the car and applying air to it, it starts to move at about 6psi? - if so then i think my wastegate actuator is just fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
YUP.

Hilton is amazing! We talked for weeks before I ordered it and when I flashed it and had some concerns, he helped me understand the answers he gave me, not just here is the answer okay bye. He made sure I had no further comments. People say he’s overpriced but I had no problems fishing the money out. Once I slapped on all my downpipe and intercooler the car idle was horrible, as it should have been. Flashed the stage 2.5 when I drove it off the mechanics lot in some parking lot, and it was like a new car. +1 for Hilton tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
628 Posts
This is sadly what I was dreading as a response, but i had my suspicions.

In any case does it sound about right that with the wastegate actuator completely off the car and applying air to it, it starts to move at about 6psi? - if so then i think my wastegate actuator is just fine.
that sounds about right, unplug the tcv from wire harness and do a third gear pull, make sure you have a credible boost gauge. Should see around 7 psi.
I think Hilton wanted mine set at 7.2 with the hybrid.

I used a mighty vac hand pump to test it as well, and it's kinda hard to see it move, but it seemed to move about 6-7 psi.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Because when you add a bunch of crap to a car, and the car wasn’t meant to run like that, it needs to adapt. I added a big front mount and a catless 3” downpipe at the same time and drove it a mile to a parking lot. It wasn’t happy until I flashed Hilton’s tune that said hey this is supposed to be there now. Was perfectly fine after. Perfect 7.5k rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts