SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a 1st gen S60. I have come across a couple of visually decent variants with some 100k miles on the clock, 2.4 hp petrol engine, and automatic gearbox.

I know that Volvos are considered pretty reliable if properly maintained, but I'd like to get some advice what to expect, since the car would be more than 15 years old and those miles are not exactly nothing. What are the biggest risks when getting this Volvo?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
With 15-20 year old cars it's going to come down to maintenance and how well the prior owners have kept up on the required services.

A big one that owners look the other way on is the timing belt which should have been done by now. Look for a sticker on the timing belt cover.

Other than that, maintaining and owning an older Volvo is a lot easier if you can do work on them yourself. If you're having to go to the mechanic for every little thing then your ownership experience may turn out to be expensive.

Reactions: vesta

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With 15-20 year old cars it's going to come down to maintenance and how well the prior owners have kept up on the required services.

A big one that owners look the other way on is the timing belt which should have been done by now. Look for a sticker on the timing belt cover.

Other than that, maintaining and owning an older Volvo is a lot easier if you can do work on them yourself. If you're having to go to the mechanic for every little thing then your ownership experience may turn out to be expensive.
Thanks, I'll check that sticker. And yes, I am willing to do some things on the car on my own.

Another question is about the suspension — if you could share your experience, please. Initially I was considering to get either s40 or s60, but after a test drive with v70 (which should feel somewhat similar to s60) I realized that the suspension of the larger car is much more comfortable. At the same time, I have encountered threads in forums saying that s60 actually has quite stiff suspension. Now I'm confused. Is is really on the stiffer, sportier side?

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
Suspension compliance really comes down to your frame of reference and realize by now with a 15 to 20 year old car it may need to be replaced or has already been replaced by a sportier aftermarket set-up. To me it's a personal thing and is subject to folks' varying opinions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Suspension compliance really comes down to your frame of reference and realize by now with a 15 to 20 year old car it may need to be replaced or has already been replaced by a sportier aftermarket set-up. To me it's a personal thing and is subject to folks' varying opinions.
My frame of reference is Audi 100 c3, about which I like most things, including the suspension, but now it is starting to fall apart, and I have decided to give Volvo a try.

So it could be that people complaining about the stiffness of the s60 suspension may have actually got aftermarket components.

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
My frame of reference is Audi 100 c3, about which I like most things, including the suspension, but now it is starting to fall apart, and I have decided to give Volvo a try.

So it could be that people complaining about the stiffness of the s60 suspension may have actually got aftermarket components.
Could be or maybe the car is still riding on original components that are now worn and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I’d generally stay away from first gen 60’s. I know some have their preference and swear by them, but I’ve had plenty of good luck with the 05 and up as they’re far more refined. The transmissions, certain modules and other components are a bit more robust with tweaks sorted out. With proper maintenance an 05+ 2.5T will last you an eternity.

Whichever you go with, I’d take a glove with you to check out the car and ask about the PCV system, recent timing belt, water pump service, inquire about the turbo or any seals that have ever been serviced, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’d generally stay away from first gen 60’s. I know some have there preference and sweat by them, but I’ve had plenty of good luck with the 05 and up as they’re far more refined. The transmissions, certain modules and other components are a bit more robust with tweaks sorted out. With proper maintenance an 05+ 2.5T will last you an eternity.

Whichever you go with, I’d take a glove with you to check out the car and ask about the PCV system, recent timing belt, water pump service, inquire about the turbo or any seals that have ever been serviced, etc.
Thanks for the reply! You say that you've had good luck with 05, but that is still within the first gen (2001-2009) — or did I misunderstood you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When referring to first gen Im talking about 01-04.
Oh, then fine, I indeed was looking for something from 2005+.

My other option was a 2005 s40 — I love the way it looks — but it is my impression that s60 is more comfortable to drive, and that's what matters the most.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts