SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2004 s60 and the trunk release via the key fob or when unlocked and pressing the pad on trunk lid does not open the trunk but I can hear the motor make a faint noise as if attempting to open! Have to use the key! Anyone know of issues, can adjustments be made or way to fix without buying a whole new latch assembly??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same Here!

I have this same exact issue. I always mean to have it looked at when I'm at the dealer but time and some other, more pre$$ing issue always make it a "next time" issue. :)

On first hit of the unlock button or hitting the trunk lock button when locked produces a clunk sound from the trunk but it is still locked. Button on the trunk does nothing. No thing at all. locked, unlocked whatever, button just sits there.

Halp! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any resolution? I have the same problem.

I have this same exact issue. I always mean to have it looked at when I'm at the dealer but time and some other, more pre$$ing issue always make it a "next time" issue. :)

On first hit of the unlock button or hitting the trunk lock button when locked produces a clunk sound from the trunk but it is still locked. Button on the trunk does nothing. No thing at all. locked, unlocked whatever, button just sits there.

Halp! :)
Any resolution? I have the same problem.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Try lube.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a problem similar to your but i heard no noise from motor, i noticed when the trunk was open the button would work, closed it the nothing. it would work half way open, so i started messing with the wire. Finally got it to stay working by turning the end that goes into the lid about a quarter turn and it has worked fine ever since.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I have this problem. Never figured it out. Now trunk stays unlocked bc I disconnected the mechanism.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a problem similar to your but i heard no noise from motor, i noticed when the trunk was open the button would work, closed it the nothing. it would work half way open, so i started messing with the wire. Finally got it to stay working by turning the end that goes into the lid about a quarter turn and it has worked fine ever since.
Wow, I think that this is the closest that I have got to figuring this out. I just tried what you described. Trunk open, button works. Trunk half-way open, button works. Trunk 1 inch from being closed, button stops working.

Sorry to be dense, but what do you mean by "turning the end that goes into the lid". There are a lot of wires in there, but I couldn't figure out by what you mean by "lid". I should have taken a picture of it when I had the trim off so that you could direct me. If this forum allows pictures, and you think it would be helpful to jog your memory, let me know and I will try to post one.

I am very excited because I really want my trunk functionality back. Normally opening a trunk with a key is not such a big deal, but it is when you basically need to use a flashlight if you want to open your trunk at night to find the keyhole.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay, I really want to solve this. I went and got some pictures.

If I had to guess what you mean by "going into the lid", I would guess that you mean the wire in picture A. But isn't this just a rubber conduit surrounding the actual wire. I don't see how it can be twisted?
Perhaps if you take a look at these three pictures, you can guide me better to what wire (and where) you turned half a turn.

Thanks!

A
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/12661881693/

B
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/12662228694/

C
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/12661884193/

·
Registered
39 Posts
yes. the wire in photo A with the big oval grommet is the one i got mine working with, i just left the gommet in the trunk lid (part that opens and shuts) and twisted the wire a little at a time. i guess there is a pinched wire in there somewhere so just manipulate it till it works for you or buy a new wire harness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yes. the wire in photo A with the big oval grommet is the one i got mine working with, i just left the gommet in the trunk lid (part that opens and shuts) and twisted the wire a little at a time. i guess there is a pinched wire in there somewhere so just manipulate it till it works for you or buy a new wire harness.
Problem solved!

Thanks for the last advice of turning the grommet. By doing that, it worked for a minute or so, but then stopped.
But I came up with a better solution. Before and after the lower grommet, I cut the cable ties, unravelled the friction tape on the outside if the wire, and then pulled up about 6 inches of new wire and pushed the broken wire up into the trunk lid. Now what is bending is "virgin" wire. There was plenty of slack wire to be able to do this.

Maybe when I get home from work I will use a foot of duct tape and make a "cast" for the broken section I stuffed up in the trunk to keep it completely straight.

Yes, I realize the proper fix is a new wire harness, but this just saved me $50.

Thanks to all!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts