SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of replacing my M56 transmission in my 02 S60 T5. I got a new dual mass flywheel today, and am ready to put everything back in. When I installed my pressure plate last september, the three springs were compressed. Now they're not and im wondering if it is ok to just put it on the way it is. Im using the same clutch and pressure plate since theyre only about 10k miles old.

Thanks,
Seamus

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
you need to drop the pressure plate and disc to your local clutch shop, so they can calibrate all together, sometimes you dont need it, but is better to do it and save second tranny drop.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so if the springs werent in the correct position the clutch wouldnt work right?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
the springs can be like that, my point is that you are using a used pressure plate, it doesnt matter if it has 10k or less, you need to calibrate the springs and arms with the new flywheel just to be sure that everything will work perfect and avoid any hard shifting or slipping on the clutch.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahhh ok i see what you're talking about now. Is it possible to get them calibrated without the PP bolted onto the car? just because my car is torn apart in my uncles garage and he doesnt have the compression tool.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
yes, all the time you drop the flywheel, pressure plate and disc to them to do the job on the shop. Thats the way it works, they should have a maching that make the pressure like the slave cylinder does and calibrate the parts together.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I have a somewhat-related question. Since the DMF doesn't come up that often in M56 discussion, is there an alternative to the DMF for us? I think I heard that the SMF from Gen1 cars won't work. All I really want, when its time to do the clutch, is to drop some weight off the flywheel so that rpms won't hang so much. I don't want a racing flywheel, just maybe 10-15% less hang so it doesn't seem like rpms increase when off gas and the clutch is first engaged.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a somewhat-related question. Since the DMF doesn't come up that often in M56 discussion, is there an alternative to the DMF for us? I think I heard that the SMF from Gen1 cars won't work. All I really want, when its time to do the clutch, is to drop some weight off the flywheel so that rpms won't hang so much. I don't want a racing flywheel, just maybe 10-15% less hang so it doesn't seem like rpms increase when off gas and the clutch is first engaged.
I've heard of people using a solid mass flywheel from the later 90's cars and using an 850-R clutch.

I was able to get the springs loaded. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Well, i spent about month searching that for my car, there is just 2 options out there for the S60 with dual mass flywheel. One is use the single mass from the 850R and their clutch or order a different stage from SPEC. The 850R has the same splines that our car so the disc will work with no problems at all. SM is cheap from any oem shop, also the pressure plate, not cheap if you go with a higher performance clutch like SPEC.

The other option is use the S60R single mass that offer SPEC, tell them that you have a M56 tranny so they will make you a disc with 20 splines, cause the R use 23. So now you can use a R clutch kit and SM flywheel but we are talking about a lot of money here, and you need some power to justify that investment.

Dont know why our DM flywheel is so expencive, if someone has to get a new one, maybe the 2 options above can be a lot better investment. There is one brand KU that make SM too but you will need some spacers to fit de 9mm disc.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone know the torque specs for the flywheel?

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
The later p2 m56 cars have the same spline count as m66 do. So keep that in mind if you are going SMF, you will need a custom disk in the least to get the 850R setup to work. I am using a R clutch/pp on my car right now. It fit seamlessly, but didnt perform quite as well. M66 trans have a different slave so it doesnt work all that great.( soft pedal, clutch slippage when ya give it a good WOT)

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
The M66 has 23 splines, M56 has 20. "lookforjoe" can confirm that, also we were working with SPEC directly to find out what do to and they confirmed that S60R has 23 splines and our cars with dual mass and M56H, L and LK has 20. Our "the K" means internal slave cylinder. Like i said before, SPEC was ready to make a 20 splines disc for me with no charge so i can use the "R" SMF with R clutch, but my local shop did a great job with my DMF and the resurface process and ended of ordering a new Stage 3+ again for my car like i used for almost 8 years with no problem.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
did the shop do anything to the springs in your DMF? i just had to replace mine because there was way too much play in it

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
The 850R pressure plate(clutch kit) is part # 272218 and the slave 31259445, SMF 9454774. Kalmar Union has a single mass flywheel too, but if you want to use a S60R clutch kit you need some spacers cause the disc cut is 7.5mm and the R use 9mm for the spec clutch kit. So you need .050" shims for the PP.
http://kalmar-union.com/parts/volvo-850_s70_v70_c70-transmission/

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
did the shop do anything to the springs in your DMF? i just had to replace mine because there was way too much play in it
too much play?. For a good DMF you need to have a small play which is about 2-3 teeth. Dont remember exactly whats the distance is, i think everything less than 1/4 is ok, cant find the data sheet. Also the springs in my dual mass flywheel never made the front mass return, even from new. Also you dont need to see any play on the sides if you move the surface of the DMF up and down i mean vertical way on the edges of the surface that is in contact with the disc.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
The M66 has 23 splines, M56 has 20. "lookforjoe" can confirm that, also we were working with SPEC directly to find out what do to and they confirmed that S60R has 23 splines and our cars with dual mass and M56H, L and LK has 20. Our "the K" means internal slave cylinder. Like i said before, SPEC was ready to make a 20 splines disc for me with no charge so i can use the "R" SMF with R clutch, but my local shop did a great job with my DMF and the resurface process and ended of ordering a new Stage 3+ again for my car like i used for almost 8 years with no problem.
Sebastian, i understand the 01-02 have the 20 spline. I am using a 2004 R clutch right now. It is the same spline shaft. I ordered the parts, i did the install..I am not bull****ting you. Last i knew lookforjoe was modding an older XC, not doing a clutch/slave install in a p2 T5m.

feel free to cross your eyes permanently trying to count them ;)

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
what im saying is that M56 has 20 splines and M66 from the R has 23, so R clutch will not fit a 01-02 M56 transmission from what i found with SPEC. Lookforjoe was using the R SMF from KU with stage 3+ kit from SPEC which is designed for M66 with 23 splines. We are here on the forum to learn lol, so it will be great to know different options! So np my friend.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
too much play?. For a good DMF you need to have a small play which is about 2-3 teeth. Dont remember exactly whats the distance is, i think everything less than 1/4 is ok, cant find the data sheet. Also the springs in my dual mass flywheel never made the front mass return, even from new. Also you dont need to see any play on the sides if you move the surface of the DMF up and down i mean vertical way on the edges of the surface that is in contact with the disc.
yes, my old one was very loppy and there was too much side to side play, the new one is much stiffer

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
nice!!!, can you do us a favor?, take how much teeth takes the mass to move, also did the new one goes back? seems that volvo data sheet says that you can load the spring and realese the mass and it will goes back to start point, but in my 2 flywheels never saw that since new. It will be great to know if yours does.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts