SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, not posted for a while (had to scrap my old V70 as it was not a healthy girl and neither was my wallet) but recently acquired an S60 2.0T for free and have done about £1300 down the sodding thing to get it ready for a session with my mates Civic Type-Rs at the track.

Fitted 17" t5 alloys, new tyres, 336mm XC90 brakes, EBC discs and yellowstuff pads, she's had a muffler delete and induction kit/airfilter, a brand new clutch/flywheel and fuel pump, as well as new fluids, EXCEPT trans fluid. Have been experiencing some odd behaviour from the gearbox since last week, jumping out of 2nd sometimes, but mostly just refusing to bite in 2nd above 2000rpm or so (heavy duty starts from 1st through the box). It doesn't seem to do it all the time, and there are no clutch slips or loss of power, it just either goes into gear or doesn't.

I know I should probably just suck it up and buy another m56 gearbox, because I suspect the synchro is dead between 1st-2nd, but if I'm doing that I don't need to be buying fresh fluid for this one, I just need to get the bastard on a ramp and drop the box so my enquiry is pointless.

If anyone has any insight into a more heavy-duty/track/performance based trans fluid, any help would be greatly appreciated. My mate who is a qualified mechanic (as opposed to an idiot with a Volvo like me) says there is a chance oil with better heat dispersion might do the trick, despite being louder (which wouldnt bother me at all, the girl makes a decent racket anyway). Anyone got any ideas??

Thanks for reading, if you got this far

Cheers all, WarBastard

TL;DR- I need a performance trans oil and don't know what to buy, don't care about noise, just want better heat dispersion

·
Registered
512 Posts
Could the shift linkage need some adjustment? As for the oil, since this is a North American forum where - unfortunately - manual transmissions are not as common, I'd recommend asking on a European forum if it's not already done, this UK is a good one https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Ultimately, may try a Sweden forum, those folks know these cars inside out, the trick is to translate the page, subscribe, then ask in english (may get an idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-z4XesUxTU)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently you were correct, gear linkage plastic housing/sheathe has snapped and whilst the cable is still connected and not apparently damaged, it has gone baggy and isn't selecting 2nd, 4th or reverse properly. Have begun checking breakers round my local area for a replacement pair of cables, but apparently might have to have some shipped from Ireland. Still, £35 isn't too bad so can eat that one ok, better than £120 for a new gearbox and a good ol' roll around on the driveway for an entire day fixing it.

Will be replacing with race trans oil week after next for remap as well, provided there are no other little treats she's got hidden up her sleeve.

Thanks for your help 👍

1 - 3 of 3 Posts