SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello , first Volvo and I'm trying to learn as I go , love the car , it's my first car with a turbo in it. So I'm not sure if this is normal.

2002 s60 t5 5 speed

Lastnight I was driving it and I opened it up some. From 1st to 3rd pretty good. I came off the throttle and heard some air coming from behind the dashboard. Like a whoosh for a few seconds. It went away and the car never seemed to mind. I decided to do it again and the same thing happened.

Car feels strong , is there an air valve or something that let's off pressure after giving it full throttle ?

Or is this an issue that I need to look at.

Any help would be great as I love the car.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Short answer, yes, that's normal.

There's a valve that releases pressure if you get off the throttle, otherwise it'd have a very high level of back pressure that could do bad things in the motor.

It is a closed system so it doesn't vent to the atmosphere (like an aftermarket blow off valve would do), but it does dump it back into the intake. Several parts work in conjunction, but the turbo control valve solenoid (TCV) and the wastegate are two major components.

The whoosh should be momentary though and not extended, but if the car pulls well and doesn't flash any lights, you're good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Short answer, yes, that's normal.

There's a valve that releases pressure if you get off the throttle, otherwise it'd have a very high level of back pressure that could do bad things in the motor.

It is a closed system so it doesn't vent to the atmosphere (like an aftermarket blow off valve would do), but it does dump it back into the intake. Several parts work in conjunction, but the turbo control valve solenoid (TCV) and the wastegate are two major components.

The whoosh should be momentary though and not extended, but if the car pulls well and doesn't flash any lights, you're good.
Thanks alot , that does sound logical. I added a boost gauge over the weekend. Pretty simple to do , it's reaching 10 psi so I'm guessing that's right on the mark for a 2002 t5. Holds it well till I either shift or let off the gas.

Pretty easy to get caught boost gauge watching and look at the speedo and see 70+ 😅.

Again thanks for the reply!

So far it's a pretty fun car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts