SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, well I love my T5, but I just can't get enough for VOlvo! I got my T5 over a year ago, but I was wondering when is the best time to trade in my T5 for an R? My finance company offered even a lower rate for a new trade car... hehe.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Re: S60 T5 to R when to trade? (myVolvoS60T5)

Well, you better before the 2008 model year because the current S60 goes bye bye.

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
don't TRADE it at all.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: (phuz)

Why shouldn't he trade? I'm in the process of upgrading from a T5 to an R once I sell my T5. I've got a great lease rate on the S60R MT that I want.....once I sell my T5!

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>myVolvoS60T5</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys, well I love my T5, but I just can't get enough for VOlvo! I got my T5 over a year ago, but I was wondering when is the best time to trade in my T5 for an R? My finance company offered even a lower rate for a new trade car... hehe.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Unfortunately I think you're going to get totally hosed on the depreciation if you get rid of your car after a year.<p>That is unless you've put about 10 miles on it. <p>So this is a bad time to trade (or even get rid of) financially.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: S60 T5 to R when to trade? (needsdecaf)

That's right...I'm now just over 2 years into my T5 and if I get the right offer from a private sale I'll break even, but if I did a trade in I'd be in the hole.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>myVolvoS60T5</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys, well I love my T5, but I just can't get enough for VOlvo! I got my T5 over a year ago, but I was wondering when is the best time to trade in my T5 for an R? My finance company offered even a lower rate for a new trade car... hehe.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>There's rarely a "good" time to trade since depreciation will always be steep in the initial years. If you put enough down on the T5, you may have an equity position but it is ultimately up to you on whether you want to take the bite. As a reference, I was offered $27K on a straight sale (to the dealer) for my 2004 R w/14K miles. I paid $38K for it two years ago.<p>Phuz....a trade in may make sense if the state has a sales tax benefit to the trade and that benefit is enough to offset the price difference to retail. Its also more convenient if the numbers are close.<p>

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

In his profile he has an '01 T5 that he has owned for a year so hopefully it had already taken a huge depreciation hit before he bought it. <p>The best time to trade really depends on a few variables, such has- 1) what you have into the car; 2) what you can get for it; 3) what the new car is costing you; and 4) how much you are willing to pay to move up, i.e., the cost differential.<p>In my case, the cost differential was around $20 to trade my '99 T5 and get a used '04 R. It was worth it to me because I got a 5 year newer car with 50,000 less miles, and, well, it's an R. YMMV.<p>Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: S60 T5 to R when to trade? (Wayne T5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Wayne T5</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In his profile he has an '01 T5 that he has owned for a year so hopefully it had already taken a huge depreciation hit before he bought it. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Ah, he should have said that. Makes a huge difference and yes, the depreciation hit should have happened before he got the car.<p>

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
a car is the WORST depreciating asset EVER. There is never a good time so if you want to step up to an R and have the means GO FOR IT!<p>I use my car to set goals for myself. When I meet professional menchmarks then I buy mods. That is how I justify it. The car before my R was a one year old Mercedes with 4K miles on it when I bought it. For me to reach that goal I achieved so many other things along the way, the car itself is a bad investment but if i is something that will improve your quality of life and motivate you then do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts