SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I just got myself a 2012 T5 R Design Manual and really loving the car but I got a problem and before I go to the dealership I would just like to get some feedback from you guys.

I have noticed what can only be described as a clunky noise when changing gears. It sounds like noisey mechanical parts working. I hear it when I press the clutch in and when i select a new gear and release the clutch again. Is this normal? I have also noticed the car is not very smooth at slow speeds, say for example around a parking lot.

I called my dealership and was told to bring the vehicle around and let the mechanic sit and drive with me but before I go I would just like to get your opinion. Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
It sounds like it could be a number of things. The behavior that you're talking about sounds a bit like the dual mass flywheel starting to get out of spec, so to speak. Too much runout between both of the disks. It could also be a sticky throw out bearing. I'm pretty sure they're still using the M66 or derivative transmission in that car, and those TOB aren't particularly robust a design.

On a much, much more simple level, it could be as simple as the transmission/engine mounts. The lower transmission mount is fairly renowned on a lot of Volvo's for taking a dump fairly quickly, especially with spirited driving. But since it makes most of the clunking when engaging the clutch (releasing the pedal) I'm more inclined to think it's the flywheel or TOB.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
May I ask how on earth you got a T5 with a manual transmission as well as getting it in "R-Design trim?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wow... I go to Volvo's UK site all the time but I must have forgotten that you could get the T5 with a manual.
Keep in mind that that's a different T5 engine. It's a 4-cylinder 2.0 turbocharged engine putting out 240hp. This is a carry-over from the days with Ford - the engine is built by Ford and available in other cars in the US labeled EcoBoost 2.0.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ooooh, this is the EcoBoost beast. My bad. =) Sorry, I had a moment of dumb. Those prognosis still stand, however! ;)

I wonder what type of tranny is in the new ones, though. Hrrm!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts