SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. So now that my R is dead, I'm back to driving my 2002 S60 T5 until I can afford to fix the R. One of the glaring issues with the T5 is the passenger side axle seal is leaking, causing it to be about .75qt low all the time. I already replaced the seal once, and it's leaking in the same spot. It's been a while since I replaced it, so I can't remember if it's leaking from the axle or the case side of the seal, but is this a common issue? I was extremely cautious when replacing the seal to not damage it, and the surface of the axle/case seemed smooth so this shouldn't be a problem. Before I go spend money, and more importantly the annoyance of replacing the seal again, is there any suggestions on what I should look for? I'm kinda lost.

Also as a side note, it's not a slow leak. It literally pisses out like the seal has a hole in it.

Here is an album of the car, pic of how fast in leaks is at the bottom of the photos.

https://imgur.com/a/kbdzb2p

·
Registered
53 Posts
Um.....the first question I’m asking is are you sure you bought the correct seal? Can you get a better look at it with good lighting? How many miles did you put on it before this leak started?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Um.....the first question I’m asking is are you sure you bought the correct seal? Can you get a better look at it with good lighting? How many miles did you put on it before this leak started?
It had the leak on it when I bought it. Of course I didn't know that until I changed the fluid (about 300 miles after I bought it) and tried to fill it up. I got the seal(s) from FCPeuro, I doubt it was the wrong seal, because I bought both the passenger and driver and replaced them both since I was in it anyway. Drivers one doesn't leak. I can try to get a better pic, but that would require jacking the car up, and I don't have time to do that right now.

You know what, forget it. I'll do it today, give me a couple hours as I'm out atm and won't be home until later tonight.

[Edit]: I also did a lot of research to make sure it wasn't the wrong seal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you done the PCV check - the glove test - where you put a plastic glove over the oil filler hole and if it inflates (engine running), you know you have to fix the positive pressure by renovating the PCV? That issue can blow seals! Leave the oil dipstick raised an inch as a short term measure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have you done the PCV check - the glove test - where you put a plastic glove over the oil filler hole and if it inflates (engine running), you know you have to fix the positive pressure by renovating the PCV? That issue can blow seals! Leave the oil dipstick raised an inch as a short term measure.
The transmission is separated from engine pressures so I don’t think this could be the root cause.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I am thinking that the diff case bushing that supports the axle is shot. Most of the fluid is held back by the bushing.The seal prevents excess fluid that gets past the bushing from leaking.There is a reliefe cut in the case for the excess held back by the seal to drain back into the case. Check for wobble on the inboard cv joint. I never saw this on a Volvo trans but have seen this issue on other FWD transmissions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts