SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, a newbie here so I hope I am posting in the right place.

I have a new Volvo S60 T5 FWD. It is drinking gasoline like a Lamborghini and the dealership isn't sure why (though they suggested break-in period. Is that a real thing? Does the fuel management software need a break-in? How does the engine know to snap out of its gasoline addiction in 1,000 miles? I don't see how this affects any of this).

Has anyone experienced this? I went through a whole tank for 150 miles. I am at 400 miles now and finishing my 2nd tank of gas. The app and the car show 13.9-14.2 MPG in city driving. I mostly use Eco mode and I know how to drive economically. On the highway, I average 15Mpg but went as far as 19Mpg. This is alarming. This car is supposed to give me TWICE as many miles for my gas. On the current 3rd tank I moved to economy 87 and I don't see a significant performance reduction -but the gas mileage is still the same.
Any idea?

·
Registered
121 Posts
There is no such thing as a engine break in as far as fuel economy is concerned. 150 miles in insane. Not to further alarm you but it seems like your car has a serious problem. My very first tank of gas I averaged 27 mpg on mixed highway/city. I usually drive in dynamic mode and have a pretty heavy foot. The lowest I have seen on a tank is 23 and that was when i was on the highway at 80+ mph.

Take your car out on a highway and then swipe left in Sensus and click driver performance. Once you get on the highway, reset it and see what reading you get after about 3-4 miles of highway coasting. It should be 30+ mpg. If you are under 20 mpg, something is way off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 2019 S60 T5, as well, with Polestar option. Just sharing my numbers. I drive in Dynamic Mode ALL the time and have never used the Start/Stop option. I'm almost at 1200 miles.

Morning school dropoffs - 2.5 miles roundtrip, average 14-15mpg
Highway drives of over 20 miles, average 20-25mpg

Per the Volvo app, my combined average this far (got the car with 100 miles, now at 1180 miles) is 18.3mpg (using 91 octane gas with 90% city/local driving). And, again, I have a relatively heavy foot and always drive in Dynamic Mode.

I hope they figure out what's going on with your vehicle's fuel consumption.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I have a new Volvo S60 T5 FWD. It is drinking gasoline like a Lamborghini and the dealership isn't sure why (though they suggested break-in period...I mostly use Eco mode and I know how to drive economically.
:p

These threads remind me of obese folks who claim to eat "normal" caloric counts.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Do you feel anything like brake dragging? Drive a short distance and feel if any wheel or rotor is hotter than others. On freeway 50+ mph, it should be above 25mpg.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Hi all, a newbie here so I hope I am posting in the right place.

I have a new Volvo S60 T5 FWD. It is drinking gasoline like a Lamborghini and the dealership isn't sure why (though they suggested break-in period. Is that a real thing? Does the fuel management software need a break-in? How does the engine know to snap out of its gasoline addiction in 1,000 miles? I don't see how this affects any of this).

Has anyone experienced this? I went through a whole tank for 150 miles. I am at 400 miles now and finishing my 2nd tank of gas. The app and the car show 13.9-14.2 MPG in city driving. I mostly use Eco mode and I know how to drive economically. On the highway, I average 15Mpg but went as far as 19Mpg. This is alarming. This car is supposed to give me TWICE as many miles for my gas. On the current 3rd tank I moved to economy 87 and I don't see a significant performance reduction -but the gas mileage is still the same.
Any idea?

I use Premium and your stats are WAY OUT OF WACK.

Non Eco Mode (17 / 18) Gallon tank I easily pull 30 MPG on Highway
Eco Mode on High easily getting 33-35 MPG

Now if you are doing a LOT of city driving with stop and go traffic, and have auto start / stop disabled, this could really affect your mileage. However, 13.9-14.2 seems very low.

I'd take your car in for a diagnostic.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
:p

These threads remind me of obese folks who claim to eat "normal" caloric counts.
Hey now, as a once overweight individual, there are skinny people who eat like crap and whose innards a heart attack waiting to happen!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

Now if you are doing a LOT of city driving with stop and go traffic, and have auto start / stop disabled, this could really affect your mileage. However, 13.9-14.2 seems very low.

This is my experience as well with our T5. I am averaging 29.7 MPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Hey now, as a once overweight individual, there are skinny people who eat like crap and whose innards a heart attack waiting to happen!
True, but I'm not trying to debate who has the worst metabolic syndrome - "skinny fat" or obese...just pointing out the ridiculousness of these "I get terrible mileage and it's not my fault" threads.

That'd be like a clinician immediately diagnosing a pituitary disorder when presented with an obese individual. 99% of the time, it's the individual's poor decisions.

If you drive aggressively (in ECO mode or not), you'll get terrible mileage.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
True, but I'm not trying to debate who has the worst metabolic syndrome - "skinny fat" or obese...just pointing out the ridiculousness of these "I get terrible mileage and it's not my fault" threads.

That'd be like a clinician immediately diagnosing a pituitary disorder when presented with an obese individual. 99% of the time, it's the individual's poor decisions.

Driving aggressively would not account for the OP's issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Driving aggressively would not account for the OP's issue.
Because the OP says "I know how to drive economically"? :)

If the fuel management system was dumping excessive fuel, the OP would be complaining about exhaust smoke (white or black) and/or check engine light...not poor fuel economy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I posted a similar issue a couple months ago, and mostlyy got unhelpful responses about learning how to drive. 2019 T6 XC60...best I can do is about 15.9 strictly city stop and go, and 24 ish highway. At just over 4000 miles now

·
Registered
8,212 Posts

Agreed...But even if this guy is a stop and go lead food, 13.9 - 14.2 is very poor mileage. Indicative of something wrong. No amount of poor driving should yield this level of mileage on a newer model vehicle. Not unless the OP is taking off like fast and furious at stop lights or idling for hours at a time in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is no such thing as a engine break in as far as fuel economy is concerned. 150 miles in insane. Not to further alarm you but it seems like your car has a serious problem. My very first tank of gas I averaged 27 mpg on mixed highway/city. I usually drive in dynamic mode and have a pretty heavy foot. The lowest I have seen on a tank is 23 and that was when i was on the highway at 80+ mph.

Take your car out on a highway and then swipe left in Sensus and click driver performance. Once you get on the highway, reset it and see what reading you get after about 3-4 miles of highway coasting. It should be 30+ mpg. If you are under 20 mpg, something is way off.
Thank you! I'll do that!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you feel anything like brake dragging? Drive a short distance and feel if any wheel or rotor is hotter than others. On freeway 50+ mph, it should be above 25mpg.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
Thank you! - No, breaks feel totally normal. Yes -I would expect it to be around 25-30 mpg. You are confirming my suspicions here...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I will happily do city driving on dynamic mode once I get a sense of my MPG but so far I've been doing about 50% city driving and used Eco mode. I don't even want to know what this will do with Dynamic mode. I will take for diagnostics this week. Totally strange.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know the XC60 has significantly higher gas mileage than the S60 but still, your gas mileage is totally off the EPA advertised numbers. Did you talk to Volvo about this? I will not keep this car if its fuel consumption is off by 40% from the advertised numbers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, MyVolvoS60!
Lamaguy -I think I described my driving, It's about 50/50 city/hwy on Eco mode. Lightfoot family driving so far. I know it's a subjective term but trust me when I tell you I know how to look at my RPMs, manage my fuel, manage my accelerations to avoid stopping so I have less accelerations, avoid overtaking others or sudden maneuvers, and assure that the car is at optimal power on the right gear when climbing or coasting. I have been driving for over 25 years now and I know the difference. I also know how to drive with heavy foot and street race. This isn't it. I had a 5-series BMW with engine twice as big that consumed far less gas on aggressive driving. I always exceed the EPA numbers by 10% or so. I've never been anywhere close to being 40% below with this type of driving. That's not subjective. This one is off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Agreed...But even if this guy is a stop and go lead food, 13.9 - 14.2 is very poor mileage. Indicative of something wrong. No amount of poor driving should yield this level of mileage on a newer model vehicle. Not unless the OP is taking off like fast and furious at stop lights or idling for hours at a time in stop and go traffic.

Dude seriously? If you want to take the clinician metaphor, this is like being 6' tall at 175lbs, nonsmoker with healthy nonstationary lifestyle and work, no allergies or drugs, with a 2500 calorie diet of fruits, veggies, grains with modest intake of dairy and animal protein. You show up at the doctor with a heart rate of 160 and the doctor tells you that this is normal because you probably smoke, take steroids and amphetamines, not to mention your out of control 4,500 daily calories of pure sugar, salt, and animal fat.
I am no doctor but my first instinct would be to give you an aspirin while calling paramedics and put you on an EKG monitor.

When I said I know how to drive economically, I didn't realize I need to take a test drive to prove it to you. You can just assume that I am airing my trouble here because I am seeing an abnormal behavior from a vehicle while my 2 driving remains normal. In the past 25 years, I owned Alfa, Saab, Volvo, Porsche, VW, Honda, and BMW (and drove countless others as rentals and overseas). I know when something doesn't add up.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts