SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
S60 T5 2001 with R-K24 turbo, R manifold and engine rebuild

Well i will start a thread of my engine rebuild and we will work with Lucky with the ecu flash to use a KKK24 (R turbo) with R manifold in my car plus all the actual mods that i have. Hope to post tonight.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Awesome

·
Registered
416 Posts
Subscribed!

I wish the best of luck to you on the build and the K24 setup. I know Lucky will get you squared away software wise.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well lets start with some pics. First the T5,

Here is some parts that i have ordered.
Headgasket and belt kit

cams seals, gaskets, etc

fuel pump and thermostat

Head studs.

Rod bearing and exhaust gaskets.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, we started by removing the valve cover, then the head, after 5 sockets finally the last stud came out, we were really worry cause we could brake it and that will make the head removing a nightmare.

Valve cover and cams out:

Some pics of the head, after 138k miles it looks ok.

The stud, its a 14mm, ended on using a 13mm impact socket to remove it.

You can see all the carbon deposits on the exhaust valves.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally the head is out and we can see the pistons(here it comes the scary part)

Removing the turbo and manifold... getting space for the new toy KKK24

Well you can see the cylinder walls with the cross hatch intact

The surprise, cylinder 1 and 5 broken, we got very lucky on this one cause there is no scratch on the cylinder walls, my machine shop did a inspection and we STILL are in the STD size which is 81mm, yeah thats correct, after all this miles, i guess oil changes and good oil did the job.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, the machine shop is almost done with my head, new helicoils installed on for the valve cover, 2 new valves on the exhaust side, just to be sure everything is in perfect condition. You can see the mirror finish on the surface and how clean the valves are now.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well Turbo is ordered, got a deal for $725 usd the manifold, feed lines, drain lines, turbo, charge pipe, vband clamp and intercooler hose shipped to my door.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Not a bad deal at all. What the turn around for the tuning? How and soon until it's all put back together?

Do you plan on getting some dyno pulls once complete to see what kind of numbers that setup is putting down? Looking forward to seeing this thread come together. Hopefully NJGB reads this and changes his mind with his S60 and goes the same 19T route.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, Lucky is a friend of mine for years, we talked yesterday about which turbo to get, ended on k24 route, seems to be better turbo to tune and smooth curve, also flows much more better. 500 cfm the 19T vs. 537 cfm the K24. Also a way cheaper to get.

Im sending the ECU to Lucky today.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I mentioned the 19T because NJGB was going to throw that on his LPT but was told it was too big of a turbo to run safely ...and yet they say for you it is fine to go with even a bigger turbo. (Yes I know you have the 2.3 not the 2.5 and you are HPT not LPT but like I've heard on any other board that .5 of CR difference especially below 9.5:1 shouldn't matter & we'll save that argument for another thread)

Which injectors are you going to run with the k24? Are you just taking everything from an R and putting it on the 2.3 engine and going with green tops?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
volvos60t5x

I mite have missed it but what was the reason for the rebuild ?

This thread got my attention while doing some research, as I'm doing a cams in my V70. I was almost tempted to pull the head and have it ported and polished. But in the end will leave that for WAY down the road

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i will use my stock inyectors on the T5. Which are Blue ones.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I mentioned the 19T because NJGB was going to throw that on his LPT but was told it was too big of a turbo to run safely ...and yet they say for you it is fine to go with even a bigger turbo. (Yes I know you have the 2.3 not the 2.5 and you are HPT not LPT but like I've heard on any other board that .5 of CR difference especially below 9.5:1 shouldn't matter & we'll save that argument for another thread)

Which injectors are you going to run with the k24? Are you just taking everything from an R and putting it on the 2.3 engine and going with green tops?

the 19t is already on the verge of spooling up too fast on the regular 8.5:1 engines. bump it up to 9.0:1, add some displacement and it IS going to spool up too fast. Too much too fast is the problem, not just too much.

How many miles did ya get on that engine volvos60t5x?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
138k miles Impulse, the machine shop didnt believe how well the cylinder walls was. After all that miles and the cross hatch looks really well.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well finally today sent my ECU to Lucky so he can flash it for my K24 setup and all the mods that i have:

Good news, the new set of 4 pistons arrives with the rings installed. wrist pin and locks.

sorry for the pics...took it with my cell phone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh this should be good subscribed. Are you using oem pistons?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes, oem pistons in standard size cause my block doesnt need any work, stock pistons are rated up to 400 bhp so with a good tune the engine should be fine.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

K24 is no problem for LPT engine. Getting the right tune is the key... I'm at 237,000 miles running this setup. :D

Somehow I don't think 395 blue injectors will unleash the full potential of the K24.
Even BSR goes with the 465 green injectors for their MY05+ T5 stage 3 upgrade.

But always good to see people trying different things. Good Luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
i will send to lucky my data sheet of modes, we will figure out about the injectors. thanks to remember me. Maybe is time to search for a set lol.

1 - 20 of 235 Posts