SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 03 S60 T5 M56LK(124K miles) with ARD tune, 3" downpipe, SNABB intake and was on the highway a couple of days ago with my foot in it pretty good and got a really strange, somewhat violent vibration for several seconds until I backed off the throttle. Check engine light flashed repeatedly for about 30 seconds but stopped flashing and stayed on all the time. check engine light had been on solid before due to airbag light that I haven't been able to reset via VIDA since my craptop won't communicate with car.

New clutch, pressure plate (Luk) installed just over 10 months ago had not been giving me any issues and flywheel looked ok when clutch was replaced (11-14-14). Now under moderate acceleration and from startup I get the vibration until I back off the throttle. Its fine if I baby the throttle and get enough revs from startup but still get a little vibration. I am wondering if it is a bad coil pack or if my dual mass flywheel is starting to fail.

Headed to my indy mechanic to see what codes he can pull today.

TIA,
Ludman

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Seamus. They are the original coils so probably one or more is/are bad

That sounds like a misfiring issue. A bad flywheel wouldn't throw a check engine light

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The check engine light will never come on due to an Airbag fault. That is a supplemental restraint system fault and would be identified in the Drive Information Module as such.
A Flashing Check Engine Light is the warning that there is a Misfire and could have catalyst damage. It means to get it looked at asap and you could have smoked the catalyst.
Sounds like a typical direct ignition coil went South. Scan it and replace whatever coil the misfiring cylinder is. Check the plugs for wear and I would recommend replacing them much sooner than Volvo recommends when running higher boost. They can wear out much quicker.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pulled all the coils and all 5 of them are cracked - new coils arrive tomorrow. Cat is a metal cat so doubt there is any damage as it sounds the same when cold (like a tractor) and quieter when the cat warms up (nice and smooth - at least when idling). Have new volvo plugs to install when coils arrive. Thanks everyone!

\
The check engine light will never come on due to an Airbag fault. That is a supplemental restraint system fault and would be identified in the Drive Information Module as such.
A Flashing Check Engine Light is the warning that there is a Misfire and could have catalyst damage. It means to get it looked at asap and you could have smoked the catalyst.
Sounds like a typical direct ignition coil went South. Scan it and replace whatever coil the misfiring cylinder is. Check the plugs for wear and I would recommend replacing them much sooner than Volvo recommends when running higher boost. They can wear out much quicker.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Theres only one reason the check engine light flashes, That's a misfire. It needs coils, I'd do the plugs why your there. You should have replaced the dual mass flywheel when you did your clutch.
Flywheel was fine when torn down. Only reason clutch was replaced was due to fluid contamination from bad slave cylinder. New coils and plugs going in this am. Pics of bad coils to follow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts