SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Stumbled upon this recent write up of the S60 recharge. Enjoy:

Impressive (and dumb), cars should not be hitting a limiter in ¼ mile testing. I know it wouldn't matter much at all, at most .1 seconds, but that still would irk me. But dang, that's fast and quick for a 2.0! It is a smidge quicker and faster (even with the limiter) than my 392 Challenger did (6.4 liters) which was 12.6 @111mph.

"reaching 60 in 4.1 seconds and dispatching the quarter-mile in 12.5 seconds at 112 mph. That quarter-mile time would be quicker if the S60 didn't approach its stingy 114-mph speed limiter during the run, causing it to start cutting power at around 110 mph."

Reactions: unagi89

·
Registered
2022.5 s60 recharge inscription thunder gray
153 Posts
I wonder how much inaccuracy there is on that article. For example, it states that the car has a 14kwh battery but it should be 18kwh battery. I believe the fed require 18kwh to qualify for the full 7500 tax credit. Also, dissent volvo state that the car goes 0-60 in 4.5 seconds? I could've sworn I saw a video on YouTube testing it and it was around that number.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
It's a great deal if you can find one under $55k and still qualify for the $7,500 by year end.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The $55K requirement goes into effect on 1/1. You can still get an Ultimate or Polestar and qualify for the full $7,500 until the end of the year.

Reactions: Wayne T5

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's a great deal if you can find one under $55k and still qualify for the $7,500 by year end.
It really is. I'd placed a deposit for a PE trim back in May but still no allocation. So today, I just went ahead and got an Ultimate trim instead that the dealer already had on lot. The $7,500 was just too much money to let slip by while waiting for the PE trim.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wonder how much inaccuracy there is on that article. For example, it states that the car has a 14kwh battery but it should be 18kwh battery. I believe the fed require 18kwh to qualify for the full 7500 tax credit. Also, dissent volvo state that the car goes 0-60 in 4.5 seconds? I could've sworn I saw a video on YouTube testing it and it was around that number.
The 14.9kWh is accurate, 14.9 is the "usable capacity" of the total 18kWh battery. They really should've made a note about the usable capacity and mentioned the 18kWh though as the 18kWh and not the usable capacity is what's used to calculate the EV credit (16kWh is the minimum for the full $7,500 btw).

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
They also have the speed limiter wrong.....it's 112 mph.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Impressive (and dumb), cars should not be hitting a limiter in ¼ mile testing. I know it wouldn't matter much at all, at most .1 seconds, but that still would irk me. But dang, that's fast and quick for a 2.0! It is a smidge quicker and faster (even with the limiter) than my 392 Challenger did (6.4 liters) which was 12.6 @111mph.

"reaching 60 in 4.1 seconds and dispatching the quarter-mile in 12.5 seconds at 112 mph. That quarter-mile time would be quicker if the S60 didn't approach its stingy 114-mph speed limiter during the run, causing it to start cutting power at around 110 mph."
I'm also surprised it hits the limiter in the quarter mile. 112 at the traps is nothing to sneeze at. Anyone who is going over 112 ought to be in a Volvo for safety reasons. It's certainly something that makes me feel safer.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
We are witnessing the slow death of the internal combustion engine.

About three years ago, I was discussing EVs with colleagues over some beers. We were very intrigued, but thought it was a little too early to consider buying.

I think the time has come.
They really are pretty awesome. If not for the greenie push, many more people would have already made the switch.

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M -- 2019 V90CC T6
3,570 Posts
S60 T8 ERs really are great to drive. Had a pretty much brand new one as a loaner for almost two weeks earlier this year, and damn was that thing fun, and seriously quick.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
They really are pretty awesome. If not for the greenie push, many more people would have already made the switch.
I've been in a couple, 2 PHEVs (mine, and son in law's Wrangler 4Xe) and 3 full EVs.
Son in law's previous Tesla Model 3 Performance which was nuts
Tesla Model S Plaid which was totally BONKERS (son in law took me on a ride, dealership he works at has it for sale)
KIA EV6 (Wind?) that my daughter just got. It is a bit more mainstream, but still extremely impressive. Works great as family hauler, she can go a couple weeks between charging (she only drives local) and it drives very nice.
The whole "The Grid Can't Handle EVs" is just nonsense. Just like the gasoline supply can't handle everyone filling up the same day, then it causes rushes, and next thing you know, the south is without gas for a week again.
And other than the best throttle response you ever had, and totally smooth drivetrain with lack of shifting, you'd never know that something is different, the entire experience is better. Other than missing the mechanical nostalgia of beefy V8 thumping away sucking small children into the intake and deafening those that survive, of course.
(I do miss my HEMIs)

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I have this exact same car (only with the additional Polestar tune option). I can confirm the article is correct about nearly everything, with the exception of the Polestar Edition comments. I honestly think most people won't like the Polestar Edition unless they really want to take it on the track, and even then the $10k upcharge is a lot, if you can even find one. I'm sure it helps in the corners a bit, but honestly the drive itself is decently sporty enough for most people. But the problem with really trying to treat this like a sports car rather than a sporty luxury car is really the steering which the Polestar Edition doesn't address. It's all electric which is needed for the Pilot Assist functions, but because of that you get very little if any steering feedback.

I'm not sure when Volvo changed things up though, I've been in past Volvos and they were never really sporty without the Polestar option, but this new refresh definitely feels a lot more sporty that previous non-PE variants, while still maintaining that smooth Volvo drive. My guess is the extra power made them do some suspension changes to handle it.

My only real complaint is the inability to turn off traction control. The electric engine actually gets held back sometimes if you really chuck the car into a corner; I'm sure if you could turn off the traction control you could get the tail to spin even in Pure mode.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
My only real complaint is the inability to turn off traction control. The electric engine actually gets held back sometimes if you really chuck the car into a corner; I'm sure if you could turn off the traction control you could get the tail to spin even in Pure mode.
When the parts book becomes available for the 2023 model quick check of suspension part numbers should tell us if there was a change or not.

in my 2021 T6 with the P* software putting the traction control in sport mode allows for quite a bit of rear end play before the stability control intervenes. In a couple of months I’m going to take it ice lake racing and Im eager to see just how the car reacts and how much rear end rotation is allows particularly with the 5050 power distribution with the software change.

it’s not driven T8 in the snow. Doesn’t that car also have a sport mode for the traction control? Does it behave differently than the gas powered cars?

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Winter range, charging infrastructure have some catching up to do. A 40% hit to a 250-mile range would have you stopping every 100-125 miles. I travel the NYS Thruway and there are currently 18 Level 3 charging stations - with another 80 under construction apparently.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When the parts book becomes available for the 2023 model quick check of suspension part numbers should tell us if there was a change or not.

in my 2021 T6 with the P* software putting the traction control in sport mode allows for quite a bit of rear end play before the stability control intervenes. In a couple of months I’m going to take it ice lake racing and Im eager to see just how the car reacts and how much rear end rotation is allows particularly with the 5050 power distribution with the software change.

it’s not driven T8 in the snow. Doesn’t that car also have a sport mode for the traction control? Does it behave differently than the gas powered cars?
So it does have a Power (Polestar mode if you have the tune) that I suspect might reduce the traction control, but it's really hard to tell because it's actually got enough power that it's scary to try to press the throttle enough in a turn.

It's more that, just like with all traction control systems, it saps power when it doesn't need to.

So far there's only been three instances where it feels like you don't get all the power you paid for:
  • Using the kickdown switch in Pure mode to switch to Hybrid, the car seems to not want to fully rev the engine during the ICE warmup phase, so during the initial switch you seem to only get 50-60% of the engine power, or 75% of the total power overall. It's most likely a reliability feature and that's fine; going full throttle the moment an engine turns on that isn't fully lubricated is not a good idea, so it's perfectly acceptable.
  • During typical automatic gear shift where you hit those magic areas where you may only want power for 4-5 seconds, but don't want full power. Again, it's typical of almost any automatic gearbox, the car will waste a few of those seconds trying to put you in the right gear when really you could have just downshifted and full throttled at 3000 RPM and had gotten further faster. This can be fixed by pressing left (why left and right!?) on the gear selector in B to drop the gear when simultaneously pressing the throttle, then double tapping down to get back into B. A somewhat reasonable fix for people who drove manuals but I don't see most people doing that.
  • During cornering in Hybrid electric throttle only or Pure mode from the traction control. The car in that case is only rear wheel drive, and it seems like it's a bit too willing to sap the power with traction control on. Sure it's probably better when things are not ideal conditions, but on a normal California sunny day with decent roads the engine really doesn't have enough power to really spin the wheels much unless you were forcing it on purpose. So it more feels like the engine just stops giving power randomly during turns at time at the signs of any aggressive driving, not really any traction loss. This is what could be fixed by allowing traction control to be turned off, but otherwise it's just something you have to live with.
There was a video review someone posted here recently where you can see even in power mode how much the traction control can affect an overly aggressive turn; you basically lose so much power and speed while if you could turn off traction control the wheels really wouldn't spin that much in the same scenario, but you'd keep all your power and speed.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
It's too bad, the (possible?) "death" of ESC sport mode! Now my T6 is not a T8, but I have taken it to the limits hehe. Still a Volvo but one thing I like about the systems is they are unobtrusive, at least in ESC Off/Sport with the Sensus, almost never get a palpable "intervention" on a track. The ER T8 power sounds awesome...you have this duality of the product where Volvo is removing "R" branding, paddle shifters, drive modes, sport chassis, lowering the speed limiter. But then they give you this 455hp sorta-monster that yanks it's own leash in the 1/4 mile. I get it, the drivetrain is common and the S60 happens to be the "lightest" model with it. PE is a nice package, now lets be real it's not a track car, higher quality equipment, less compromise and a "sportier" feel. Now all they done is put springs/shocks and brakes on the exact same chassis, no other changes, so it does feel like a missed opportunity in some way. Agree on the steering it's not great, electric can be decent steering other mfrs are doing it better, but we got relatively slow steering with low feel and effort as probably that's what the typical Volvo customer wants. I'd chalk the majoriity of any improvements in the basic car, over previous generations, up to the double-wishbone suspension up front.

There is certainly more more Volvo could do, but it's not in their plan. Funny my first thought at the trap speed was back to my first "fast" car my Buick Grand National, trapping under 110 to touch the 12's in the 1/4 with light mods. It too was limited, to 124mph (with the factory "chip"). For good reason! Not a straight comparison here...but within their era, each a firecracker of a motor with just an "OK" chassis around it...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think this road test indicates that the polestar tune provides substantial performance improvements even on ER models.

car and drivers xc60 polestar test nearly matched the non-polestar s60 numbers, despite the xc60 being heavier and historically being less nimble and less quick than the s60.

also, road and track tested a non-polestar xc60, with much less impressive performance results than cat and drivers test of the polestar xc60 model.

so, I think there is an inference that the s60 would improve performance with a polestar tune.

After polestar on my own ER car, it feels much stronger off the line and through acceleration to highway speed. Before polestar, power mode seemed very “comfort” oriented, such as delay in acceleration and moving through gears too early to maximize output.

I think something as simple as unsuitable gear programming could chop a few tenths of a second off performance at track.

of course, very few people on earth care about fractional improvements on Volvo track performance. I may be the only person looking so closely at the few reliable road tests. 😆 So, unlikely we will ever get a real answer.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts