SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
IMO, soft pedal feel, brake "bite" and brake "fade" all describe different aspects of the brake system. Also just my $.02, but I think the stock calipers/rotors are solid and there's plenty of stopping power there. Brake feel is a pretty subjective thing, ymmv.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
IMO, soft pedal feel, brake "bite" and brake "fade" all describe different aspects of the brake system. Also just my $.02, but I think the stock calipers/rotors are solid and there's plenty of stopping power there. Brake feel is a pretty subjective thing, ymmv.
If you drove a 2011-2012 S60T6AWD/S60RD with the smaller 316mm brakes you'd know the soft brake feeling he is experiencing; I had the same experience with my 2012, they stopped but the pedal travel was bit more than I would have liked (I had a 2007 S60R with Brembo's so a huge difference in pedal feel). Your 2012 XC60 and 2013 S60RD have the larger 336mm rotors with larger calipers so the pedal feel is a bit better; I noticed a difference when I stepped into the 2015 V60RD I have now.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sure it's a subjective thing, I just wish the brake pedal was as touchy as the throttle .
Maybe I'm spoiled from previous BMWs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
613 Posts
Sure it's a subjective thing, I just wish the brake pedal was as touchy as the throttle .
Maybe I'm spoiled from previous BMWs.

The brakes on my S60 were waaay better than my previous C30, and I have to agree. I had a 135i with 6 pistons up front and it felt like the car could stop on a dime. I felt like I could tailgate anyone and stop before them.

Hope to change this soon with a BBK.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Car and Driver tested a V60 T6 RD recently and were pleasantly surprised by the stopping distance with the standard (larger) brakes - only about 10 ft longer than the last PoleStar they had tested vs 30 ft longer with a T5 and the smaller brakes.
Will probably wait and just try SS brake lines, Akebono pads and Centric drilled rotors.

What was the difference in weight between that car and the last P* they tested? The P*'s are all fully loaded so are very heavy which doesn't help with braking.

For anyone who is considering adding the P* Brembo rotors, understand that they require at least 19" wheels and not just any 19" wheels. You can look at this thread to see the issue people have had trying to find 19" wheels that fit over these brakes, http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?215184-Winter-Wheel-Thread. There is a reason the P*'s come with 20" wheels stock and specially designed 19" wheels for winter.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
What was the difference in weight between that car and the last P* they tested? The P*'s are all fully loaded so are very heavy which doesn't help with braking.
They tested a 2015.5 V60RD base (Premier) with BLIS/Full Climate Pkg and it weighed in at 4003lbs and they compared that to a 2015.5 S60P* (which weighs in at just over 3800lbs). So it looks like the V60RD was at a weight disadvantage lol!

http://m.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-volvo-v60-t6-r-design-instrumented-test-review

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
My understanding is that for a single stop (or a few stops) from speed a BBK system won't stop
any faster then most stock components. So as long as the brakes are not overheating and fading,
the stopping distance is determined by the tires. A BBK's advantage is it does not overheat as soon as
stock parts so with a BBK the braking distance the tire is capable of is maintained under track conditions.

I would think sticker/performance tires would be the first thing to do to reduce stopping distance and
braided hose for pedal feel. Then BBK (maybe pads first) if you experience fade. StopTech has a pretty
good white paper on this:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/brake-system-and-upgrade-selection

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks krn for the link!
By now a BBK is out of question for me, as the car will rarely see some track time.
I second you on the tires though, you will only stop as much as the tire friction coefficient will allow, no matter what braking power you've got.

·
Registered
889 Posts
My understanding is that for a single stop (or a few stops) from speed a BBK system won't stop
any faster then most stock components. So as long as the brakes are not overheating and fading,
the stopping distance is determined by the tires. A BBK's advantage is it does not overheat as soon as
stock parts so with a BBK the braking distance the tire is capable of is maintained under track conditions.

I would think sticker/performance tires would be the first thing to do to reduce stopping distance and
braided hose for pedal feel. Then BBK (maybe pads first) if you experience fade. StopTech has a pretty
good white paper on this:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/brake-system-and-upgrade-selection
If you can activate ABS then more braking won't do you one bit of good. Better tires will. However there is better braking to be found in playing with the balance. After repeated stops pad compound and fluid start to play in as most street pads don't do well as they get hotter and they will begin to fade. You also have the issue of most street fluid will eventually boil from the heat and then you get a soft pedal as you get air in the system from it boiling. You also have caliper flex on a single piston caliper. As you squeeze the caliper it will flex as it gets hot and start to wear the pad at a slight angle. Back when I raced showroom stock and I had use stock calipers I would replace the front calipers every few weekends as they would flex to the point of no return and wear the pads very funny causing a very long pedal 1/2 through the race. You also have issues with the slider pins flexing under hard braking essentially causing the same issue. Some companies sell bushings to sure up the slider pins to bring back good brake feel.

On the S60 RD I've gone back and forth between my BBK and the stock stuff. The stock brakes work great. On track they fade a bit and you start to get a long pedal from the pad wearing at an angle. But on the street they are fine. SO why have I not sold the BBK yet? Well I always wanted a street car with big baller brakes. Now I have one. That is all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
^^good info there^^

The comparisons between vehicles and equipment notwithstanding, good braking technique seems to be the thing lacking in most cars I see on the street these days.

·
Registered
889 Posts
^^good info there^^

The comparisons between vehicles and equipment notwithstanding, good braking technique seems to be the thing lacking in most cars I see on the street these days.
I'll be honest, it's nice walking up to your car and looking at them. Pardon the dirty wheels this was after 20 mins on sebring.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I'll be honest, it's nice walking up to your car and looking at them. Pardon the dirty wheels this was after 20 mins on sebring.
Does the 19" Ixion II wheels clear the Brembo GT BBK?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Does the 19" Ixion II wheels clear the Brembo GT BBK?
I don't have one to test fit. If someone near by has one I'll happily test fit.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Can't wait to have this! Looks damn good!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
That setup is downright beautiful mrsideways!

·
Registered
889 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)

·
Registered
613 Posts
I pulled the trigger...just need to set up an appointment. Brembo BBK soon...

21 - 40 of 71 Posts