SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, how are y'all doing?
Since day one I've felt the OEM brake setup on my car somewhat lacking in brake bite, it sure stops good... But I feel it can be improved a lot still!

I'm currently on the 18 inch rims wrapped with Bridgestones Potenzas Pole Position so grip is not an issue yet.

I'd like to know what options have you tried and how good they were. I'm up for aftemarket brake pads to swap on some Polestar or R calipers (if possible) all the way to BBKs.

One thing though as I dont want to get 19 inchers. Is clearance an issue with a BBK on the 18 Ixions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hi, how are y'all doing?
Since day one I've felt the OEM brake setup on my car somewhat lacking in brake bite, it sure stops good... But I feel it can be improved a lot still!

I'm currently on the 18 inch rims wrapped with Bridgestones Potenzas Pole Position so grip is not an issue yet.

I'd like to know what options have you tried and how good they were. I'm up for aftemarket brake pads to swap on some Polestar or R calipers (if possible) all the way to BBKs.

One thing though as I dont want to get 19 inchers. Is clearance an issue with a BBK on the 18 Ixions?

I have the brembo GT kit. Yet to find an 18 that fits over it.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Brembo GT BBK Kits are supposed to fit 18" wheels and most others require a minimum 19" wheel (which runs 235/40 size tire and has the same sidewall as your 18" wheel; unless you have a 2014-2016 then it is a 235/45). If you have a 2012 S60RD then you could upgrade the rotors and calipers from a 2013-2016 model because they have larger rotors 336mm vs the 316mm that came on the 2011-2012 S60 T6awd/R-Design models. VIVA Performance has some brake upgrade options http://www.vivaperformance.com/brakes/

Here's and other aftermarket brake company that another member used on here; though he used 20" Polestar wheels on his RD, he didn't goes as large as the Polestar BBK in terms of rotor size. This company allows you to make the kit that will fit your application: http://www.r1concepts.com/bbk_interactive

I had a 2012 S60RD and the only complaint that I had with the vehicle was the braking was a little softer than it should be for the weight/power, but they solved the issue in 2013MY by upgrading the brakes and I have no issues with my 2015 V60RD.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brembo GT BBK Kits are supposed to fit 18" wheels and most others require a minimum 19" wheel (which runs 235/40 size tire and has the same sidewall as your 18" wheel; unless you have a 2014-2016 then it is a 235/45). If you have a 2012 S60RD then you could upgrade the rotors and calipers from a 2013-2016 model because they have larger rotors 336mm vs the 316mm that came on the 2011-2012 S60 T6awd/R-Design models. VIVA Performance has some brake upgrade options http://www.vivaperformance.com/brakes/

I had a 2012 S60RD and the only complaint that I had with the vehicle was the braking was a little softer than it should be for the weight/power, but they solved the issue in 2013MY by upgrading the brakes and I have no issues with my 2015 V60RD.
Thanks for your reply! I think mine is a MY13 since it has the funky translucent shifter, but measured the rotors and they are 316mms. Some time ago I asked my dealership if they could get me the 336mm ones, they said it couldn't be done.
It sucks a bit having one of the only 2 S60s RD in your country.

·
Registered
889 Posts

Here's and other aftermarket brake company that another member used on here; though he used 20" Polestar wheels on his RD, he didn't goes as large as the Polestar BBK in terms of rotor size. This company allows you to make the kit that will fit your application: http://www.r1concepts.com/bbk_interactive

Well I tried 3 different sets of 18's on mine and none were even close. It's a 365mm rotor. I bought the polestar dust shields and they fit like the rotors are made for them. I'm wondering if I could interchage the polestar rotors too.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Well I tried 3 different sets of 18's on mine and none were even close. It's a 365mm rotor. I bought the polestar dust shields and they fit like the rotors are made for them. I'm wondering if I could interchage the polestar rotors too.
Just going off what Brembo suggests using a minimum 18" wheel so no clue what offsets they are calling for to clear.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Thanks for your reply! I think mine is a MY13 since it has the funky translucent shifter, but measured the rotors and they are 316mms. Some time ago I asked my dealership if they could get me the 336mm ones, they said it couldn't be done.
It sucks a bit having one of the only 2 S60s RD in your country.

Hmm thought the 13-up were all 336mm off the V8 rotors; unless it's not in all markets.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hmm thought the 13-up were all 336mm off the V8 rotors; unless it's not in all markets.

Maybe the USDM got that update earlier, just asked my bud to check his car (same MY) and it has the bigger rotors. Is it just rotors and pads then? The 336mm rotors with some Carbotech (like mrsideways setup) pads sounds good for me.

Btw. Thank you for your replies, keep them coming in!

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Maybe the USDM got that update earlier, just asked my bud to check his car (same MY) and it has the bigger rotors. Is it just rotors and pads then? The 336mm rotors with some Carbontech pads sounds good for me.

Btw. Thank you for your replies, keep them coming in!

Does your buddy live in the US? Maybe someone updated your shift knob to the illuminated knob which is very easy to do; almost did it on my 2012. You need new calipers, brackets and rotors; surprisingly the pads are the same exact P/N.

If you have this style 6 than its definitely a 2013-up

The 2011-2012 "6" was curled down instead of sharp up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it's a 13 . He's the owner of the other S60RD, just that his manufacturing date was later.
I'll check with the parts guy tomorrow, tbh some of them don't even know what VIDA is, so I might end up shipping the parts directly from the US.

·
Registered
889 Posts

I also went one step further and called my buddy at tirerack and had him run through all the 18 inch 5x108 wheels with the brembo template to see if any fit inside. He came back with none.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I also went one step further and called my buddy at tirerack and had him run through all the 18 inch 5x108 wheels with the brembo template to see if any fit inside. He came back with none.
VIVA needs to change their product description then. That is probably why KPAX recommends 19" Wheels (BBS wheels they sell) to go along with the Brembo GT kit they sell.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So bad news for anyone wanti g to run these with 18s. I have 3 sets of 18s and just tried all 3 and not one fit. The modas were the closest. 10mm apacer and those might fit. Oem and the asa were miles off.
I knew the GT kit was a def no-no with the 18 Ixions when I saw this
About your current setup mrsideways, I see the pads you chose overwhelm the ABS. Is there another pad you would recommend?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
VIVA needs to change their product description then. That is probably why KPAX recommends 19" Wheels (BBS wheels they sell) to go along with the Brembo GT kit they sell.
+1 !!!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I knew the GT kit was a def no-no with the 18 Ixions when I saw this
About your current setup mrsideways, I see the pads you chose overwhelm the ABS. Is there another pad you would recommend?

Yes, as they bedded in and I also put more aggressive pads on the rear it started to brake normally. I took it to Sebring and had no issues with the ABS on track.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OP- Can you clarify what you mean when you say they lack bite but the car stops well? Soft pedal feel or are you talking about the pad/rotor? Or for street or track use?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OP- Can you clarify what you mean when you say they lack bite but the car stops well? Soft pedal feel or are you talking about the pad/rotor? Or for street or track use?
I mean the brake feel, at least on the street (have yet to take it to the track) it doesn't have that urgency to stop during the initial one third of the brake pedal travel, also fade is VERY noticeable on winding roads. For daily driving there's no problem, but with it being a heavy powerful sports sedan you would expect more.

Obviously if you smack the pedal to the floor it will stop on a dime or quarter idk, but it needs better braking power modulation at the first half of pedal travel.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Car and Driver tested a V60 T6 RD recently and were pleasantly surprised by the stopping distance with the standard (larger) brakes - only about 10 ft longer than the last PoleStar they had tested vs 30 ft longer with a T5 and the smaller brakes.
Will probably wait and just try SS brake lines, Akebono pads and Centric drilled rotors.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm sourcing 336mm slotted rotors from EBC, the different caliper carriers for the bigger rotors and to top it all up these brake lines.
Still I'm having second thoughts about which pad to use, any word on that?
Heard some good things about EBCs Yellow Stuff pads...

1 - 20 of 71 Posts