SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

S60 R Purchase advice

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  volvosRus 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking to purchase an R (specifically an 04 because I found a really clean one), and had a couple of questions?
- What things should I be looking at when doing an inspection?
- What questions should I ask the seller?
- Are there any costly problems that occur on a majority of R's?
- Any problems that plague the 04 model specifically?
- What is an average cost of maintenance per month?
- Any comments and/or advice would be helpful :)

If you all could please help me out, I would sincerely appreciate it :)

Thanks

Here is the listing that I'm really interested in:
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volvo/S60/RICHMOND HILL/Ontario/19_6294753_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

#2 ·
Welcome to swedespeed. There is great information in these threads. Looks like a well kept car with all the right equipment, ie, manual and atacama interior.

First, I would recommend taking it to a shop that is familiar with the R and have them give it the once over.

High dollar items to look out for are the angle gear and slave cylinder.

Maintenance costs vary greatly from car to car. The past three months I have done brakes all around, alarm siren module, and a new battery. All told that was around $900 but then I haven't spent much on it the past year. I would say $1,000 per year on the low side and $2,000 per year on the high side for repair/maintenance costs. That will also depend on whether you plan on doing your own work. I do most of my own work.

Good luck with purchase. When properly sorted and running right they really are great cars.

#6 ·
OP, are you in the Toronto area? If so, you might reach out to SS members in that area for some help.

To the others, the car is located in Richmond Hill, ON, which is a northern suburb of Toronto. Cars are more expensive in Canada, so don't be misled by the $15,900 CAD asking price.

#11 ·
Have a full leak down and compression test done before you buy it make sure everything is good to go.

#13 ·
Nice!! Hope everything keeps going well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.