SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking to purchase an R (specifically an 04 because I found a really clean one), and had a couple of questions?
- What things should I be looking at when doing an inspection?
- What questions should I ask the seller?
- Are there any costly problems that occur on a majority of R's?
- Any problems that plague the 04 model specifically?
- What is an average cost of maintenance per month?
- Any comments and/or advice would be helpful :)

If you all could please help me out, I would sincerely appreciate it :)

Thanks

Here is the listing that I'm really interested in:
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volvo/S60/RICHMOND HILL/Ontario/19_6294753_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
Welcome to swedespeed. There is great information in these threads. Looks like a well kept car with all the right equipment, ie, manual and atacama interior.

First, I would recommend taking it to a shop that is familiar with the R and have them give it the once over.

High dollar items to look out for are the angle gear and slave cylinder.

Maintenance costs vary greatly from car to car. The past three months I have done brakes all around, alarm siren module, and a new battery. All told that was around $900 but then I haven't spent much on it the past year. I would say $1,000 per year on the low side and $2,000 per year on the high side for repair/maintenance costs. That will also depend on whether you plan on doing your own work. I do most of my own work.

Good luck with purchase. When properly sorted and running right they really are great cars.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your help Wayne :) By the way, what would be a good asking price for this car? I know he's charging a bit high, and I'll definitely try to bring it down

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
OP, are you in the Toronto area? If so, you might reach out to SS members in that area for some help.

To the others, the car is located in Richmond Hill, ON, which is a northern suburb of Toronto. Cars are more expensive in Canada, so don't be misled by the $15,900 CAD asking price.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did reach out to one member..DevolvR :) Still looking out for fellow members in the Toronto area. If you know any, please do list them :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm also in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) and would like to get to know fellow R owners in the area. I've got plenty of questions to yak their ears off with. :p

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I did reach out to one member..DevolvR :) Still looking out for fellow members in the Toronto area. If you know any, please do list them :)
Did you end up buying that R?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Have a full leak down and compression test done before you buy it make sure everything is good to go.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That R was sold a while ago. My R now doesn't seem to have any compression issues :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts