SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer said to always expect to replace rotors at 30K miles. Said something about the metallic pads being off-kilter and causing grooves. Seems ridiculous since that means I have to spend $750 every 17 months. I do live in the mountains with lots of winding roads - lots of braking. Switching to Sport mode seems to help. Any other ideas?

Thank you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Road trip.
Come see my guy at San Diego Volvo. Knowledgeable and busy.
That a lot for labor.

Or call someone nearer. (SOCAL is a big place)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Replace just the rotors or pads and rotors? And which rotors, front, rear or both?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replace just the rotors or pads and rotors? And which rotors, front, rear or both?
Just the rear, rotors and pads. The rotors were seriously grooved.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Road trip.
Come see my guy at San Diego Volvo. Knowledgeable and busy.
That a lot for labor.

Or call someone nearer. (SOCAL is a big place)
I work in San Diego sometimes. Perhaps I will look them up.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
30k miles isnt too bad for rear pads on these cars. We got 54k out of ours, but they were down to the metal plate and destroyed the rotor. I have heard of some rear pads needing replacement at 18k. We were told at 40k they could just do the pads and our rotors were badly grooved. I think I have a pic. I think its time for a second opinion. Our rear pads and rotors, although not for an RD, cost us $525 incl tax. I cant imaging RD rotors are $225 more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
30k miles isnt too bad for rear pads on these cars. We got 54k out of ours, but they were down to the metal plate and destroyed the rotor. I have heard of some rear pads needing replacement at 18k. We were told at 40k they could just do the pads and our rotors were badly grooved. I think I have a pic. I think its time for a second opinion. Our rear pads and rotors, although not for an RD, cost us $525 incl tax. I cant imaging RD rotors are $225 more.
Thank you for the info. I went in for routine service and an oil change. If I'd suspected the brake issues earlier I would have gotten estimates elsewhere for better pricing. I was at work when the dealer called and it was easier to just cave in and pay for the ripoff.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
If you purchased the car new the brakes should be covered under Safe and Secure
(I would think that is the case for a 2013).

I'm at 42K and my rotors are wearing well. I think the driving conditions and
driving habits make a big difference.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts

Its not covered if purchased after 1/1/13. Since she has owned it 17 months, it was after that.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Safe and Secure does transfer to new owners if the car was originally sold (but it does not transfer
if it was originally leased or was a demo). OP can send Volvo the VIN number and ask if it is covered
by Safe and Secure here:

http://www.volvocars.com/us/forms/owner-questions

Worth a shot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My last two sets of rotors (xc60 has under 40k miles) were replaced by dealer under warranty since they warped and created shudder during braking. Should not have happened but the dealer took care of them. I think they were the fronts. Happened at 30k miles and 38k miles. Ask dealer to handle the replacement under warranty.

·
Registered
989 Posts
New at 9,800 mi. Replaced by dealer. Warped.

I'm easy on the brakes. Had one panic stop on the highway (70 mph) and they were done. Slight shimmy after. Should not be.

·
Registered
826 Posts
My rotors showed some grooving from the beginning (<3K miles since new). I don't really abuse the brakes at all. Dealer says it's within norm, although I havent seen it with my other cars, not to this extent. Doesn't seem to affect braking performance at this time, so I am not too worried. But when they finally wear out, I will be replacing the whole setup with Centric or Zimmerman cryo-treated rotors and Akebono low-dust ceramic pads. With top quality parts, all four wheels should run around $900, including install by a reputable independent shop (I don't have Safe-and-Secure).

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Local dealer did my rear rotors and pads for $540 including parts, labor, and tax. I probably could have gotten it a little lower, too, honestly I forgot to even try.

$750 is a lot.

From what I've been told, grooving is normal with semi-metallic pads, so it is normal to have to replace the rotors with the pads on these cars. Rotors are a wear component, particularly on premium performance brakes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Safe and Secure does transfer to new owners if the car was originally sold (but it does not transfer
if it was originally leased or was a demo). OP can send Volvo the VIN number and ask if it is covered
by Safe and Secure here:

http://www.volvocars.com/us/forms/owner-questions

Worth a shot.
Thanks, I will do this today. I got a great deal on this 2013 model in May of 2014 because the person who ordered it changed their mind. The dealer discounted it and sold it to me "used" with 53 miles on it which gave me the 7 year/100,000 miles pre-owned warranty. Too bad the warranty doesn't cover consumables.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Local dealer did my rear rotors and pads for $540 including parts, labor, and tax. I probably could have gotten it a little lower, too, honestly I forgot to even try.

$750 is a lot.

From what I've been told, grooving is normal with semi-metallic pads, so it is normal to have to replace the rotors with the pads on these cars. Rotors are a wear component, particularly on premium performance brakes.
Thank you. I really appreciate the info.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I think you are right about driving habits. I went through brakes often on my last car which was a Crosstour. It seems if I use Sport mode, I'm braking less.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts