SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I used the windshield / headlight spray feature on my 2012 S60 R-Design for the first time today.
To my surprise, what must have been the headlight washer fluid sprayer for the LEFT headlight oversprayed covering 1/2 of my hood with washer fluid spray!
The right headlight washer sprayer also oversprayed onto the hood but far less (i.e. slightly).

I rinsed the hood with water and towel dryed the car (in hindsight, probably should have washed the hood with soap before micro fiber towel drying it to remove any fine dirt particles although the car was only delivered 4 days ago so it did not get a chance to get too dirty and I did not rub hard).

Anyway, before I take it to the dealer to have the sprayer checked / adjusted, has anyone else experienced this???
Any ideas?

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Our 2013 does the same, the overspray goes everywhere. The spray comes out hard and hits the angle of the lens and goes in all directions.

I haven't checked yet but I doubt there is a software setting to turn this off, so the only other option might be to pull a fuse to disable the headlight washers completely. The only time I would like to use these would be during the winter when there is a fair amount of road spray that can cover the lights - other than that, they can remain off.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
To my surprise, what must have been the headlight washer fluid sprayer for the LEFT headlight oversprayed covering 1/2 of my hood with washer fluid spray!
And that's why I appreciate my old 1999 V70 XC's headlight washers. Even if they look less sleek. Oh well, I guess reserve that for (if) you ever go off roading or on muddy ground.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our 2013 does the same, the overspray goes everywhere. The spray comes out hard and hits the angle of the lens and goes in all directions.

I haven't checked yet but I doubt there is a software setting to turn this off, so the only other option might be to pull a fuse to disable the headlight washers completely. The only time I would like to use these would be during the winter when there is a fair amount of road spray that can cover the lights - other than that, they can remain off.

Thanks. Going with your potential fuse idea, I did some searching and found this:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?169049-Headlight-washers

I checked my owner's manual and it looks like the "fuse" in question is only used for the headlight washers which is good news.
However, it also stated this particular fuse (fuses 1 - 15, 34 and 42 - 44 for MY model) is one of the "relays / circuit breakers and should only be removed or replaced by a trainer and qualified Volvo service technician."
This warning does not apply to some of the other (standard) fuses that they say "may be changed at any time when necessary" (i.e. by the owner).

Does anyone know what is different about the relay / circuit breaker variety and whether I can easily remove one myself without risking any issues?
I'll do some googling now in the meantime.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
If you are doing 35mph+ does it still get all over hood?
And it does not matter if it gets all over the hood as it will not harm the paint.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
This is how it is in most vehicles I've driven with pressure washers for the headlights.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Does it all the time. I dropped my car off for the 15,000 mile service and was told the only option is to disabble it.:facepalm:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And it does not matter if it gets all over the hood as it will not harm the paint.
Thanks. So that is with standard windshield washer fluid right?
I was reading up on this exact topic this afternoon and someone suggested that those newer windshield washer fluids that also contain an anti-freezing component could potentially harm the car finish?

My main reason for wanting to disable it, which someone else mentioned on another forum, is simply that it causes a lot of unsightly spotting on the hood when it dries up, even if it is temporary (till the next car wash).

I am planning to remove the fuse tomorrow if it easily accessible.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Maybe it's because I live in Seattle, but are you people deploying the washer when it's not raining???? I only use it when it's raining (Seattle!), and the rain takes care of any overspray. If I want to clean the headlights and windshield when it's not raining, I don't use it (duh!), I use a hand cleaner.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maybe it's because I live in Seattle, but are you people deploying the washer when it's not raining???? I only use it when it's raining (Seattle!), and the rain takes care of any overspray. If I want to clean the headlights and windshield when it's not raining, I don't use it (duh!), I use a hand cleaner.
Interesting. I would think that if it's raining, you have no need to wash the headlights... the rain does it for you. The washers work well when they are dry and dirty or wer and dirty (think dirty slush).

·
Registered
92 Posts
In Seattle, you have need to wash the muck off the headlights and mainly windshield. There is rain and there is Seattle rain, it is frequently not enough to clean everything (think mist), I only use it to get the gunk that has accumulated since the last rain. As far as I know, you cannot selectively invoke the headlight washer, it only comes on at a fixed ratio of wash cycles. I still don't get the idea of using the washer when it is dry out! You certainly can't expect a high pressure blast on the headlight to stay only on the headlight.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Yes. In arid climates such as what we have in Southern California, you need to clean the windshield often from dust, bugs, etc. It only rained once here, in the entire summer, and that was for a few minutes with a very minimum amount of water..

·
Registered
92 Posts
I hear you, we just set a record for no rain in August, here in Seattle. I still get out my bottle of Windex and a micro-cloth and clean my windshield. The last thing I would ever think of, is to use the windshield washer to clean the windshield. The fluid still goes somewhere after the wipers are done with it. I want my glass spotless.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Such a simple solution would have been to use a separate switch for the headlamp washers. Maybe use that dead button next to the rear fog light. I too would only need them in the winter and then only after a snow. Perhaps pulling the fuse 10 months out of the year would be the easiest solution..

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I wonder if they are trying to conform to ECE regulations (which apply to Europe to standardize
products across European countries) and just left it that way. Regulation No. 45 - Rev.2 - Headlamp cleaners
at http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs41-60.html:

6.5.4 The control of the cleaning device shall be operable from the driver's seat and may
be coupled with the controls for other cleaning devices.
In addition, when the cleaning device is required to be fitted according to Regulation
No. 48, and in the absence of any automatic activation of the cleaning device, it
must operate through at least one cleaning period when, the headlamps being already
switched on, the windscreen washers are operated.

I bet a lot of how functionality is implemented in a car is regulated somewhere, by someone
(and regulations trump logic). Also, I wonder if the headlights were switched off if it would clean them?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
...it must operate through at least one cleaning period when, the headlamps being already switched on, the windscreen washers are operated.
And there's the graceful solution by a simple software change. Don't wash the headlights if they are off or in parking light mode!

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
You can't turn the headlights off in the US, can you?

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
How on earth are you guys getting windshields so dirty that you need the washer while keeping the rest of your car so clean that a little overspray bothers you?
Whenever I need to use the sprayer my car is already filthy and in need of a wash anyway... helps that the dealer here gives you free washes for life of course... :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts