SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I previously owned an XC90 and loved the build quality and ride of the Volvo. That vehicle has been sold and I'm now in the market for a new "used" vehicle and have my eyes set on another Volvo.

I'm a single father with a 13 year old, 11 year old and 5 year old. My driving consists of a shuttling the kids to school, a short comute to work, concessional (couple of times a year) longer trips, and weekend errands.

I've test driven a couple of used S60's and found one I really liked. I got to talking to the owner of it and he told me that he was selling it because he has 2 kids and that he needed more space because the back seat was too cramped once they put backpacks, winter jackets, etc. That started to get me worried that perhaps the S60 wouldn't be practical for me.

I'm looking at a 2009 AWD Turbo with 90k miles for $9,000

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Well the s60 does not have a ton of rear leg room if you move the seat back. I myself am 6' tall and have to move the seat forward when I have a passenger behind me.
That being said, the 09's come pretty well equipped and for me personally, is perfect size (use the wife's crv for hauling things)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am 6"3 and i can tell you there is no way we take the S60 anywhere as a Family. There is no longer room for my toddlers car seat behind me. My teen daughter can not sit behind me in it either (not even close)

I never had these issues with my old S80 have you considered them?

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Funny - I have the same thing going on and have an '05 s60. My kids are tall now, and we squeeze it. The trunk is massive, and we've driven from MD to GA and back with essentially all our luggage in the trunk. I am 6'-0.5" (never made 6'-1"). My daughter and son are only getting taller at 16 and 14, respectively. Only things I can really complain about with this car are the poor turning radius, the terrible FM reception. Otherwise, it's a perfect car for me, and the one I always wanted. 9K for an awesome car is hard to match. I say pull the trigger if the mileage and history are clear. I picked up a set of OEM roof bars that hold the yakima rocket box and now beach trips with the chairs are a breeze.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I admittedly drive with the seat pretty far back, and rarely load 3 passengers so I'm fine with it myself. The s80's are more executive, less sporty, so that's one issue stepping up for a few more inches of leg room.
As for the car, definitely look for maintenance records. Coming up soon will be the timing belt service, and may be a good time to do pcv system too (cheaper than a rebuild).
Check out the awd, although the 2.5t is civilized and not as prone to shredding the angle gear like the R's.
:)

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Why not look at an 06-07 XC70. Same engine, same AWD, just more space.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Since you're not looking for another XC90 I'm guessing you don't want an SUV which is what most people concerned about having enough space for the family would want. Most people seem to make these decisions based on the 5% of the time when they really wish for a cargo van or limousine. I think you're family as described would be happy with the S60 most of the time. I think AWD sedans are keen and I can always rent or borrow something bigger if I really need it once in a while.

A few years back I had 2 wagons, a V70 and an XC70. My 6'3" son usually got the front passenger seat when we had a long ride, my wife didn't mind sitting in back. The rest of the time it wasn't a problem. My wife and I loved them, very comfortable and plenty of space for college related hauling. They were great cars for my son to drive too.

I would suggest that you be cautious and get a pre-purchase inspection, along with budgeting some $$$ for repairs or an extended Volvo warranty. My experience with my P2 wagons at 100k + miles was expensive. My favored independent mechanic sent me a giant tin of butter cookies at Christmas because I was such a good customer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I say go for it. Your oldest will be getting his/her license right around the time your youngest starts getting cramped in the seat behind you :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Every time my 8 and 12 year olds get in the back of my S60, the ask, "Dad when are you going to get a bigger car?" They are cramped back there. Looking at an S80 or XC60 now.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yeah S60 back seats suck. V70 has 2 more inches of leg room which isn't much but makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Well, I have both ... an S80 and an S60. Please do yourself a huge favor and give up on the S60 for your kid's sake (and yours too). I also have an S40, and this may seem weird, but I honestly feel more comfortable in the backseat of that car versus the S60. Anyway, you will love the S80 for your situation ... plenty of room in ALL the seats, and a massive trunk. If the S60 you're looking at is a 2.5T (versus the T5), then the S80 has the same motor. Look for a 2006 S80 if you can find one because they have the sport seats, but a 2005 is just fine too. Btw, we always take the S80 when the whole family is together in the car (16 and 21 year old kids). We gave the S60 to my daughter, lol.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yeah S60 back seats suck. V70 has 2 more inches of leg room which isn't much but makes a huge difference.
I didn't realize that the P2 v70/xc70 had more rear legroom than the s60 sedan version. Aren't they the same wheelbase?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Same wheelbase iirc, but the rear bench was able to be moved back a bit due to the extra space behind it.

Sent from my HTC

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
No the wheelbase is actually longer in the V70. That's why body kits from the S60 don't work on it, the side sill is longer. Also why exhuasts are different, aftermarket exhausts have slide couplings to work in both.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Same wheelbase iirc, but the rear bench was able to be moved back a bit due to the extra space behind it.

Sent from my HTC
As said in the post above ^^.

Find images of the S60 and the V70, you will see the rear doors are VERY different because of the wheelbase and rear wheelwell.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
As said in the post above ^^.

Find images of the S60 and the V70, you will see the rear doors are VERY different because of the wheelbase and rear wheelwell.
Noted, thanks. Should've known better to reply from my phone at a car wash before looking it up first :facepalm:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts