SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sure, I have a performance chip done by Giac, which I am very happy with. There is a link on the banner on this page to PES, and i do beleive that they sell the chip made by GIAC, or you can check out their websight at www.giacusa.com If ya would like me to post the dyno of the before and after the chip let me know, I just have to dig up the sight...

SPencer

·
Premium Member
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by gts60t5:
Does anyone know anything with regards to availability of performance chips for the s60?
I have a 2002 s60T5.
Thanks in advance
gt
iPd also has the TME software upgrade for 2001 S60s. The version for 2002 models will be out end of August.

Yannis

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
iPd also has the TME software upgrade for 2001 S60s. The version for 2002 models will be out end of August.
Does GIAC have one for the 2002 models yet? Or they are going to have it miraculously one day right after IPD release theirs?

·
Premium Member
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by The_one_n_only:
Does GIAC have one for the 2002 models yet? Or they are going to have it miraculously one day right after IPD release theirs?
I am not sure about GIAC, Kai. I don't want to slam another company here but during my research for my upgrade, I noticed GIAC's "superior" HP and torque numbers (vs. that from iPd/TME) but a few people I have contacted were less than ABSOLUTELY pleased with the results. On the other hand, every single person I have talked to or e-mailed who used either iPd or TME directly had nothing bad to say about the results and/or customer service. You can add my name to that long list.

BTW, the delay on the 2002 model upgrade has occured because the 2002 models are using a slightly enhanced version of the Motronic system that the 2001 models are using to perate on.

Yannis

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by TurbobrickT5:
I have heard there there are less problems with the IPD/TME chip because it is flash programed. Is this true?

If you want to change the program more often it would be much better because the tuning chip can only be soldered 2 or 3 times before the PCB leads let go.
If you are planning on multiple upgrades over a given time it would be wise to install a chip socket.
If you are as sick as I am you could change chips at least 14 times :)
My latest figures are around 270 HP @ the wheels.

·
Premium Member
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Johann:
If you want to change the program more often it would be much better because the tuning chip can only be soldered 2 or 3 times before the PCB leads let go.
If you are planning on multiple upgrades over a given time it would be wise to install a chip socket.
If you are as sick as I am you could change chips at least 14 times :)
My latest figures are around 270 HP @ the wheels.
What company have you used, Johann?

Yannis

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
quote:

RICA

Thanks for answering...

Ok, this time I did it myself!
I placed the chip completely on my own!
I pulled the ECU and opened it with a torx screwdriver!
The Nice thing is that I received an even better chip and I can really feel a difference!
You guys might think why I need so much chips but this is the 3rd version for the 19T compressor which I installed a few weeks back.
We had some bad luck with a broken dyno and a lambda meter which was damaged because of the exhaust which fell off from one of the rubbers in the back.
This probably happend after fitting the new turbo, I guess the exhaust was not properly "de-stressed(?)" after the install.
The second chip was made with a simulator using both dyno and open road but the weather was really warm with high humidity, Florida style :)
Since RICA was not completely satisfied they made a third version by only reprogramming the gathered information and today I installed the chip and it runs great!
I even killed a beamer by accident, I wasn't really aware until stopping at a trafficlight and the guy pulled up next to me.
He looked totally in shock.
I must say the car really launched just before that and it felt like a 4 second 0-100 kmh without any wheelspin.
One of those things that only happen at a moment when you do not really need it...

My over all experience however is that some dyno's do NOT represent the real power of the car which is mostly due to bad cooling for the turbo engine.
RICA could show me the difference in numbers on a dyno test and open road.
There really is a gap of at least 10HP.

Numbers are nice but the car feels really strong now and it runs very smooth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
quote:

All I can say, is that my Dyno Plot compared very "favorably" to that of GIAC that I've seen floating around here on the forum. TME/IPD may be more expensive but you can't argue with the bottom line numbers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.