SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...

Which car do you prefer for its looks - S80 or S60? Does your choice relate to the 'reason' for buying one of these cars? (i.e. the S60 is more sporty and the S80 more a luxury cruiser?)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Re: S60 or S80 - which car looks the best and why? (oliver2015)

I love them both. I personally would get an S80 if I could. Just look at the S80 forum picture. I think that S80 is sexy.

·
Registered
84 Posts

No contest, really.
The S60 has just the right proportions, leaving the S80 looking like an oversised version of an otherwise well tailored vehicle.

Clearly there is a distinction between a sportier "coupe-like" look (S60) and a larger "caddy-like" image(S80)...so, there are two different goals to be achieved here, and the team at Volvo has done a nice job with each.

Still, I'd give a nod to the S60 due to what some at Volvo have termed "representing motion even while sitting still" or words to that effect.
Even the Italian Press has called the S60 the "Most Beautiful Car in the World."

The S80 does look handsome, but in a way it just looks like "excess car" when parked next to the S60.

If space is an objective, I'd suggest getting the Cross Country instead...or getting both the wagon and the S60, best of both worlds.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: S60 or S80 - which car looks the best and why? (Harrison)

quote:

No contest, really.
The S60 has just the right proportions, leaving the S80 looking like an oversised version of an otherwise well tailored vehicle
Perfect description!

Yannis

·
Registered
300 Posts

Uh, Oliver, I actually own an S80 2.9 AND an S60 T5. My wife likes the larger back seat when she takes friends to lunch and I'm perfectly happy with the S60.

We didn't buy the cars for looks, we felt they'd actually be safer than an SUV because of the lower cg (and less propensity to rollover), side protection, whiplash protection, laminated side glass, and a stronger roof (10g) than required by the pathetic 1.5g federal standard. Plus the gas mileage is WAY better than any SUV. All-in-all, SUVs--loser, S80, winner. Then my T-bird got smashed by a hit-and-run and I was then a launch customer for an S60 TDS.

And we didn't buy them for their "luxury" image, either. We got both cars without sunroof and without leather seats. In our minds those were a total waste of money. With the TDS delivery, that put the S60 on par with the IS300 (and now G35), price-wise.

But, come to think of it, my wife took one look at a CTS and would never consider one for the driveway because it was just so ugly. So I guess it's a good thing the Volvo wasn't bad looking, I guess.

FWIW

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Re: S60 or S80 - which car looks the best and why? (T5 Dave)

I voted S80. I spent a couple of hours in August with Doug Frasher (designer of the S80 and the XC90). That may have made me biased.

The S80 was the first of the modern non box Volvos. It began the rounded pronounced shoulder design that a lot of companies are now copying and that Volvo design is now based on.

More of the reasons I chose the S80 though were the better proportion of the headlights and grill mainly....as the cars are very similar. I like the larger, more pronounced setup on the 80. It reminds me more of the strong Volvo designs like the 240.

While the 60 has more of an aggressive line, it almost looks snub-nosed in comparison.

Last, you rarely see an S80 dressed aggressively. 17s look small on the car, and the ride height is almost always too high. Lower it slightly and put on some 18s and it's a GREAT looking car. FYI, that's what I did to the one on the header of the S80 forum...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: S60 or S80 - which car looks the best and why? ([email protected])

Hi George,

Thanks for your comments.

Wasn't it Peter Horbury who designed the S80? He was in all the magazines in the UK when it was launched...

I agree with what you said about S80's often being "badly dressed" - nothing better than seeing one with lower suspension and 18" Nebulas

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Re: S60 or S80 - which car looks the best and why? ([email protected])

quote:

Last, you rarely see an S80 dressed aggressively. 17s look small on the car, and the ride height is almost always too high. Lower it slightly and put on some 18s and it's a GREAT looking car. FYI, that's what I did to the one on the header of the S80 forum...
You are the reason I love it so much then. I guess if they still have s80's around when I can afford such a car, I'll have to do that.

·
Registered
339 Posts

no, doug frasher designed the S80 but an interesting point that needs to be remembered is that the S60 was designed before the S80, even though the S80 was launched earlier. the design of the S60 was the real groundbreaker for volvo but was kept under wraps while the S70 was sold down.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Re: S60 or S80 - which car looks the best and why? (mjbr24)

Interesting point, mjbr24.
It does make some sense (and sort of bolsters the argument for the S60 a bit).
The design seems a perfect fit for the S60 and something of an application on the S80.
From what you've offered here, I'd say the designers took pages from the S60 and slapped them (carefully and with precision) onto the S80 in order to sustain design harmony.
It's kind of like what they are doing by renaming the V70-XC into the XC70, in order to better harmonize with the XC90.
While I know the move to XC70 is a name-only change, it does speak to Volvo's commitment to product-line unity.
It would appear that the look of the S80 is in line with that philosophy.

While I don't think for a minute that looks alone sell Volvos (in fact, I'd guess that would rank somewhere near the middle of the list in selling points- it did for me, at least) I do appreciate the design elements put in play on the S60.

The S80 is not an ugly car, but it lacks the S60's feisty aggressiveness.
The S80 sort of looks like (to use an American Football analogy) a Linebacker next to the S60's Running Back.
A bit lumbersome, less agile, but certainly game for the job at hand.

If what mjbr24 states here is true (and I have no reason to doubt mjbr24), then the delayed offering of the S60 is probably for the best, as the S80 was (infamously) troubled by system bugs.
The owners of S60 doubtlessly benefited from the pains of those who purchased early S80's.

BTW, it was the well respected Italian motor mag Automobilia , which proclaimed the S60 to be "The most beautiful automobile in the world" and the German Bild am Sonntag which bestowed apon it the coveted "Golden Steering Wheel".

Naturally, both occured after the release of the S80.

Food for thought.

[Modified by Harrison, 12:07 PM 12-30-2002]

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

quote:

Wasn't it Peter Horbury who designed the S80? He was in all the magazines in the UK when it was launched...
He [Horbury] was the CHIEF designer and oversaw/approved everybody else's work (I am sure that he had a big part in the finishing touches of the entire P2x platform)...

Yannis

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

quote:

no, doug frasher designed the S80 but an interesting point that needs to be remembered is that the S60 was designed before the S80, even though the S80 was launched earlier. the design of the S60 was the real groundbreaker for volvo but was kept under wraps while the S70 was sold down.
The S60 and also the V70; I saw, back in the summer of 1998 five REAL pictures of the V70's butt and rear quarter panels when they were inside a WINDOWLESS building in Gothenburg. The person who showed them to me was on a training trip there and he was given those pictures...he also had the entire car but he would not show me those...The S60 was also in the background of those pics but completely under wraps. I was told, then, the it was the successor to the S70 (although he did not tell me that it would be called S60) and that it was a way early pre-production model.

The S60 and V70 were designed earlier but were not finished before the S80. Actually, the V70 was the first non-clay model of these cars but the S80 was the true derivative of the now infamous PCC car.

An interesting point here: during that summer (1998) the prototype of the XC90 was cruising the forests of Sweden... http://********************/smile/emwink.gif If we only knew!

Yannis

·
Registered
84 Posts
Re: S60 or S80 - which car looks the best and why? (GrecianVolvo)

" An interesting point here: during that summer (1998) the prototype of the XC90 was cruising the forests of Sweden... If we only knew! "

Hmmm...Kind of makes you wonder whats going on up in Sweden right about now .

Could it be a breakthrough hybrid engine?
Maybe even a hydro-powered commuter...

Time will tell, I suppose.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Re: S60 or S80 - which car looks the best and why? (Harrison)

Without a doubt, it is the S80. It is bold, sleek, and pronounced.

But, lets not talk just exteriors, how about interiors? Sorry guys (and gals) but the S60, to me, was simply too small in the back passenger seating. Besides that, I don't like feel of the leather in the 2003 model, as well as the general feeling and size of the seating. But hey, thats my opinion. Its still a great car, handels terrific, but from pure asthetics i prefer the S80 T6.

As you guys can tell i am biased since I own (and very much love) my S80!!! http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: S60 or S80 - which car looks the best and why? (Toronto_S80T6)

Nice. Thanks for your comments. What colour is your T6 and do you have any pictures of it?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

my personal preference is for the s80. i like the way the back looks better. i think the s60 looks short to me--if it was longer, i'd like it better--but then would that just be an s80?

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts

quote:

Okay, so from this perspective, it appeared as if the first exhibition of modern Volvo design was the ECC (also a Frasher design). I had assumed that most modern Volvo design cues came from that car.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The S60 is the hands-down winner, in my humble opinion! From the front & isometric views, it looks clever and taut without being too high-strung. It has a soft, curvaceous, sexy look that is tempered by its bold, strong shoulders/character lines than run from the nose to tail. It's a nice blend of right-and-left brain thinking...a little yin and yang, you know.

From the rear, it's got "hips" and lines that all flow together to meet in an attractive, succinct way. In the side view, it's got the fantastic lines of a swoopy coupe, but it's actually a 4-door sedan. What more could you ask for?! http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts