SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have a 2012 S60 i purchased 6 months ago and I am finally getting some free time to start looking into this question i have had since i purchased the car. The S60 had nav prep on the car when i purchased it and i figured oh thats nice i might want to play with that later and see what i can do. I have done some research on this topic and been in contact with the dealer and i am confused. From my research and contact with the dealer it appears you need to have a few items to make nav work. The level three multimedia package, the nav prep, the 7"bezel, the software, and the steering wheel button and center console button. The package for about 1800 bucks contains all of these items...great.....

I thought about this today and it doesn't make sense to me why i would pay around 1800 bucks when i already have these thing....all but software.

I have the dvd player....i can put a dvd in and it plays...no problem

I measure the screen and diag. it is a 7" screen and the bezel is appropriate

I have bluetooth, and usb Phone, sirius.

I explained this to the parts/service guy and he says he sees only one part number to add nav which is around 1800 and it replaces everything....even the usb cable and connector. He says this does not make sense and is not needed.

What am i missing in this puzzle? Do i just need the software uploaded? I do not care about the buttons...even though they are less then a hundred bucks according to him.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Iirc, nav prep is for hardwiring the Volvo portable nav system in to the car. It is not the same as having the necessary setup for Sensus based navigation.

·
Registered
301 Posts
no you need the navigation kit. its new hardware and software to make it work.we have installed a few of them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I know the prep is only a cable, not the system needed. And the necessary software needs to be uploaded to the vehicle as well. That was never in question. What is in question is why would i need to replace the screen when i already have that. I asked the parts guy and he stated the screen i already have is the correct screen....maybe a connector needs to be hooked up to it. As he stated at most i will only need the new dvd/nav system (rti module) and software not the screen. Or is he completely wrong

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
The screen does not need to be replaced. Other than some other internal hardware, the Nav will be activated with software and this will also enable Voice Activation which, for me, is invaluable because you can work not only the Nav system via your voice commands but also the entire Telephone/Bluetooth function of Sensus.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You can't use the voice commands with the base system? I had no idea...I though you could at least control the functions that the car did have in it if you didn't have the Nav...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info.

Just so i understand this right..... to complete and activate the nav i need to replace the dvd module with a dvd/nav module, add buttons to the center console and steering wheel (but don't need to) and the dealer will need to activate the software. And this should take care of it?

I like to try to do my own work on what i can so another question would be could i grab the needed module(s) from a salvage yard and save some money? If so any recommendations on where to order it from if i went this route?

Thanks again for all replies!

The screen does not need to be replaced. Other than some other internal hardware, the Nav will be activated with software and this will also enable Voice Activation which, for me, is invaluable because you can work not only the Nav system via your voice commands but also the entire Telephone/Bluetooth function of Sensus.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Don't do this yourself. Dealer has to program everything anyways. Besides, I highly doubt you will find parts for a new S60 in a salvage yard!

·
Registered
687 Posts
i have a nav prep car too & i checked into having it done & i have the list & everything that is needed & the link that KRN put up is pretty much it minus a couple things but i priced it out & it came out to around 2,300-2,400 dollars installed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts