SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that the Chinese built S60 Inscription is now available at the dealerships.
Has anyone purchased one? Or test driven one?
I'm curious as to thoughts/opinions on the first Chinese built import to the US !

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I see that the Chinese built S60 Inscription is now available at the dealerships.
Has anyone purchased one? Or test driven one?
I'm curious as to thoughts/opinions on the first Chinese built import to the US !
You should go drive one! The extra leg room is quite noticeable. The rest of the car feels like any other S60.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
So the inscription level is now the only way to get the platinum pkg without doing OSD, right?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
So the inscription level is now the only way to get the platinum pkg without doing OSD, right?
If you want the T5 Drive-E motor or T5 AWD, but the T6 Drive-E comes in Platinum trim if you want.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
989 Posts
Inscription package must be pretty nice. Rolling magazine reported it's the most preferred package (right now) on the new XC90.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The S60 Inscription and XC90 Inscription are very different.

The S60 does not include the higher trim interior.

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
Probably should have called it something different like S60L or S60 and a half.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I just test drove one today with the Platinum package and it certainly rides well with the 19" wheel package. The space in back is now similar to the S80 and on par with the A4, 3 Series and C class, trunk is the same size. I did notice it had the lane keeping aid not just warning and Park Pilot Assist, didn't test them out though. Took it on some bumpy roads and it did quite well for having 19" wheels, I was expecting it to be harsher but was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't worry about quality as I'm sure they use the same manufacturing process and attention to detail. The things I did notice however, which concerned my wife as well is how the transmission has a slam when moving off, it felt like it was shifting down to first when you step on the gas. It happened after driving the car for a bit, in addition the P7 tires seemed to have flat spotted and cause a vibration when we first took it out but got better over time, other than that it felt fine. The T5 engine had sufficient power to keep it going and roll with traffic, it was very good overall. I'm tempted to get one but we may just end up going with the XC60 as the wife prefer that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I’ve driven the S60 Inscription Platinum with the base 18” wheels and regular S60 Premier with 17” wheels and base seats.

By far and away the best feature of the Inscription is the backseat leg room. It has more than my current gen Lexus GS. I’m 6’ and can sit behind myself with room to spare.

Other findings: The Inscription also:
1) The Inscription is slightly quieter

2) The standard Inscription contour seat is between the base seat and sport seat as far a bolstering goes. I found the base seat more plush with a wider seat base though the backrest has the typical Volvo bump in the middle of the upper back. The contour seat has slightly too much bolstering and therefore pushed on the underside of my thigh. I believe I could live with it, though. For reference, the sport seat on my 2015.5 XC60 is super aggressive and used to push on my thigh making my left two toes go numb. Fortunately, now that it’s broken in, I suffer less.
My backseat passenger prefers the comfort of the base seats but not the legroom.

3) The Inscription’s ride is more luxurious. The bumps and undulations were better isolated than the standard S60. It had more of that ‘molasses’ feel to the ride like luxury cars do. The standard S60 pitched and bobbed a bit more. I attribute the better ride to the longer wheelbase, tires, weight, and probably slightly different suspension setup.

The Inscritption’s 18” wheels have 235/45 tires versus 235/40 for the T6. The taller sidewall doesn’t degrade the ride. My 2015.5 XC60 has the 20” 255/45 tires which look awesome but make lots of noise, seriously degrade the ride, and induce torque steer. The Inscription’s wheel/tire set up showed none of this.

4) The standard S60 faster and more agile and tossable. Sportier.

5) The Inscription has more elegant interior touches. For instance there’s extra metal around the nav screen and vent in the dash and the back of the center armrest, incidental lighting, and beautiful matte wood inserts for the dash and four doors.

With the exception of the rear leg room, the differences are subtle.

I’m trying to decide between the two. I prefer the everything about the Inscription except the driver’s seat and (I assume) no Swedish delivery.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Probably should have called it something different like S60L or S60 and a half.
That was my impression, too, but it was pointed out to me that calling it the Inscription says "this is our top model" and that having the top model and not the bottom built in China makes a statement.

I still think it should be the S60L Inscription or something like that.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The "L" designation is usually reserved for the larger vehicles in the US and used in China when they extend the wheelbase of compact luxury cars. The additional room is a welcome feature, well more like what it should have had. It's now what it should have be, to compete on equal footing with the other compact luxury cars.

It is a nice setup however, that transmission issue needs to be resolved. I don't know if the other Drive E engines are experiencing this but for their top level car, they need to fix that bug before selling them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
510 Posts
I only drove the one so, store had 2 and one was on the showroom floor, the other was for test drives.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
S60 and a half.
Or S60.5 in keeping with the half year model rollouts :)

The "L" designation is usually reserved for the larger vehicles in the US and used in China when they extend the wheelbase of compact luxury cars. The additional room is a welcome feature, well more like what it should have had. It's now what it should have be, to compete on equal footing with the other compact luxury cars.
I think the key word here is "compact" The S60's shorter length is what attracted me to the car in the first place. It's positioned in line with the Lexus IS250 and BMW 3 Series. If more rear leg room is needed there's the S80. It wasn't that much more in cost.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The 3 extra inches in my opinion, provides some much needed room for taller passengers. Granted I'm typically in my car alone or with the wife but for those times when we carpool with friends, the extra space would make it more comfortable back there. I'm sure Volvo realized that they were losing some sales to other brands that have more legroom in back and decided to offer this version. I also like the fact they have been putting the sport style seats in all the new models they are putting out in the 60 range. I really like the seats in the XC90 but as it's a new design I guess that will only come with the newer body styles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts