SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Closed on a deal for an S60 Inscription on 5/31 and enjoying my first few days with this beautiful car. I only started considering the car a week ago and literally never looked inside the trunk of one before taking delivery. I was shocked to find that not only wasn't there a cargo net for the trunk floor, but there don't even seem to be any anchors to add one from Volvo or the aftermarket! When you look closely you can see little indentations where the anchors would probably be installed, and page 561 of the owner's manual describes the "Load anchoring eyelets" that are apparently supposed to be there. In some pictures I've seen in reviews the anchors also don't appear to be installed.

Every single competitor in this segment (and most lesser segments!) provides anchors for a net and usually includes the net, especially at upper trim levels. What's up with Volvo? Over the years, I've just kept the net in place because I use it frequently. Does anyone have the anchors in their S60 or do they not exist in USA models?

Another nitpick, the "carpeting" in the trunk and the panel covering the spare feel like the cheapest they could find. The tire cover isn't doesn't even have a way to lock it in the closed position so on speed bumps and rough pavement you can hear it bouncing around back there. Now I know what the $470 "Premier Protection Package" is added to the sticker of so many of these cars (all weather trunk and interior mats). Really Volvo?

Let me be clear, I love the car and none of these would have been dealbreakers for me if I'd noticed them prior to the purchase. They are just so automatic in this segment that I never thought to look! Has anyone found any aftermarket solutions?

I'll post something about all the great things about the car when I get some time later. Great, great car.

Reactions: quattro4awd

·
Registered
278 Posts
They did the same for the V90, sort of. They provide the two at the rear of the cargo area, but only plastic covers where the two behind the rear seats should go, yet refer to all four in the Owners Manual and as anchor points for the Cargo Net accessory they sell.

Your dealership parts dept can get you the part # for the anchors. You can then do an internet search for the cheapest source. Note that, at least for the ones in the V90, special bolts are required to attach them and those are sold separately, so get that part # too.

When I pointed out to US Customer Care that these are not represented as an 'option/accessory' in the Owners Manual and therefor I should rightfully be entitled to them, they provided them free of charge.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply. I spoke with the dealer who was equally surprised that neither bolts nor net was included. The service manager looked it up and found what you found (I think). They priced it out and it came to about $300 for parts and $200 for labor! These guys are new to Volvo (South Bay Volvo, L.A.; part of McKenna Auto group. I had a really good dealer experience with them through the leasing process and didn't put a lot of pressure on them to "comp" the parts/labor. Thanks for the suggestion to contact Customer Care. I think I'll do that and see what happens. Totally agree that the Owner's Manual describes a standard feature for every S60. I imagine that the SC factory is trying to save a few bucks where it can and management hoped it wouldn't be noticed by potential buyers.

For what it's worth, that same page in the manual describes pull down hooks under the parcel shelf that are apparently standard as well. The grocery bag hooks on the each side of the trunk compartment are worthless.

Did Customer Care comp you parts to install the bolts and did it include the dealer labor to do it? Did they also comp the net itself, though I notice the picture is of straps connected to the "load anchoring eyelets"? Thanks again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
...Did Customer Care comp you parts to install the bolts and did it include the dealer labor to do it? Did they also comp the net itself? Thanks again.
I didn't think the net should have been provided, at least for the V90. Nowhere did Volvo represent that it was a standard feature, and they offer it as an accessory on their website. The anchoring eyelets are another story. In the Owners Manual (again, this is all only for the V90; don't know if this is true for S60), they describe them and without an asterisk, which is provided for all options/accessories. So, presumably, the anchor eyelets are not an option/accessory. Plus, for the description of the net accessory, they describe the anchor/eyelets to which it attaches, but don't offer the anchor/eyelets as an accessory, so again, suggest they should be there.

For the V90, there is an anchor/eyelet and a bolt used to secure it that fits a pre-drilled hole behind a plastic cover where the anchor/eyelets would go. It was easy to pop off the plastic covers and attach the anchor/eyelets. Volvo Customer Care asked who my dealer was and the dealer Service Mgr contacted me to tell me they had the parts and were ready to install them at no cost to me. I understand that the dealer would bill Volvo for parts and labor.

Frankly, I have no faith in the dealer from whom I bought my V90, so I gladly accepted the parts and installed them myself. I don't doubt they charged Volvo for the labor, though; their ethics and integrity are so woefully lacking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you on not providing the net, I just wondered how far they would go! In fact, I don't even see a cargo net listed on the volvo accessories website. It does have a pair of straps designed to hook on the eyelets and lash down a box, but that's not what I use the net for anyway. It's more for various smaller, loose items that the net will keep in place rather than sliding around.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
I like net very much. Right now I keep a shipping box in trunk as my organizer. Quite handy but I still feel two boxes will be better.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the cargo nets and rarely use them - just put the groceries in the trunk - wedged against something, or the front seat footwell - is this really an issue for you?
Yes all my cars have a cargo net in the trunk its very convenient, seems odd that volvo would rather offer dog harness for $115 than to have some plastic mounting points and sell a cargo net for $50-60

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The cargo nets always get a lot of use in my car because I tend to leave a lot of things in the trunk and the net helps "control" the chaos back there. I also used the pull down grocery bag hooks often. The stupid little hooks in the S60 are useless. Just seems like a chintzy way to save a few bucks by Volvo in a car that's supposed to compete in the luxury compact segment. Again, not a dealbreaker for me (I love the car), just puzzling that Volvo cut corners on something like this.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
They did the same for the V90, sort of. They provide the two at the rear of the cargo area, but only plastic covers where the two behind the rear seats should go, yet refer to all four in the Owners Manual and as anchor points for the Cargo Net accessory they sell.

Your dealership parts dept can get you the part # for the anchors. You can then do an internet search for the cheapest source. Note that, at least for the ones in the V90, special bolts are required to attach them and those are sold separately, so get that part # too.

When I pointed out to US Customer Care that these are not represented as an 'option/accessory' in the Owners Manual and therefor I should rightfully be entitled to them, they provided them free of charge.
Can you share those part numbers (front & rear anchors) with the rest of us? I would like to do my price search before visiting the dealer.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Can you share those part numbers (front & rear anchors) with the rest of us? I would like to do my price search before visiting the dealer.
Sure. Bear in mind that these are for the V90 and XC90. Since many dealership parts depts have fairly robust websites of their own, one can find parts diagrams for most any current model on-line, I suppose.

Cargo hook: 31467823 (this has charcoal plastic surround; I think there's one with blonde surround too)
Screw: 30640966

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Does anybody know if the threaded holes for the front tie-downs exist in the 2019 S60? There is a rectangular depression in the side trim at the tie-down location, but no hole for the bolt. If I punch a bolt hole, will I find the threaded hole?

The bolts for the rear pair of tie-downs are clearly visible.

Front tie-downs are index number 36 in the attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
powered rear sunscreen and shift knob

Closed on a deal for an S60 Inscription on 5/31 and enjoying my first few days with this beautiful car. I only started considering the car a week ago and literally never looked inside the trunk of one before taking delivery. I was shocked to find that not only wasn't there a cargo net for the trunk floor, but there don't even seem to be any anchors to add one from Volvo or the aftermarket! When you look closely you can see little indentations where the anchors would probably be installed, and page 561 of the owner's manual describes the "Load anchoring eyelets" that are apparently supposed to be there. In some pictures I've seen in reviews the anchors also don't appear to be installed.

Every single competitor in this segment (and most lesser segments!) provides anchors for a net and usually includes the net, especially at upper trim levels. What's up with Volvo? Over the years, I've just kept the net in place because I use it frequently. Does anyone have the anchors in their S60 or do they not exist in USA models?

Another nitpick, the "carpeting" in the trunk and the panel covering the spare feel like the cheapest they could find. The tire cover isn't doesn't even have a way to lock it in the closed position so on speed bumps and rough pavement you can hear it bouncing around back there. Now I know what the $470 "Premier Protection Package" is added to the sticker of so many of these cars (all weather trunk and interior mats). Really Volvo?

Let me be clear, I love the car and none of these would have been dealbr

eakers for me if I'd noticed them prior to the purchase. They are just so automatic in this segment that I never thought to look! Has anyone found any aftermarket solutions?

I'll post something about all the great things about the car when I get some time later. Great, great car.

hi - just wondering if your inscription has the powered rear sunscreen and how useful it is? I have a 2017 R design, which did not come with it. Also, wondering if you have the glass crystal shift knob that I believe to be standard on the inscription. If so, I should offer you a trade for the black leather R design one. Interested?

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
hi - just wondering if your inscription has the powered rear sunscreen and how useful it is? I have a 2017 R design, which did not come with it. Also, wondering if you have the glass crystal shift knob that I believe to be standard on the inscription. If so, I should offer you a trade for the black leather R design one. Interested?
Hi Kemosaabe.
No, I don't have the powered rear sunscreen or crystal shift knob. They may be part of the luxury interior package (Napa leather, etc) that I didn't get.
Also, I prefer my leather-trimmed shift knob to the crystal one. It has smooth leather trim. Was the 2017 R-design knob smooth or stitched leather?

The crystal shifter is just a little too much bling IMHO. I understand the crystal one may be standard on the 2020 R-designs, but it seems more like a luxury-style than a performance-style item to me...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 2020 S60 T6 Inscription with Polestar - my dealer gave me the rubber truck mat - NOTHING slides on it! I have a trunk organizer I have pushed as far back as it will go (see on Amazon: Rola 59001 M.O.V.E. Rigid-Base Trunk Organizer, Customizable Storage). I keep reusable grocery bags in it, and a few other things. I use reusable flat bottom grocery bags and they never move with the rubber trunk liner. I can also put them in the organizer as well.

·
Registered
2019 S60t6
35 Posts
Here is a kit of parts offered by IPD.

Trunk Cargo Area Hook Kit SPA S60 2019-

There are no instructions included and no cutting template for the trunk side panels.
Who wants to be the first to try to locate, size, and document the cutouts for the front hooks?
Thank you for this, I too was not happy when I saw that the tiedowns were not included, and a price tag at $120+ is obnoxious. I hope they will have a real "sale" on these at some point (right now they are giving a measly $6USD discount)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I want to put dynamat or something under the rear tray. It is too light and noisy. I saw another user added eye bolts to the truck for a net and a quick search lead me to this hook on amazon (link) I think I am going to try to use these to keep an oem(ish) look.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts