SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this question has been asked, and I did search but I couldn't find my answer for the current generation of S60.

I am thinking about putting lowing springs on my 2013 S60 T5 AWD. I've got the dual active xenon lights, I was wondering if those will need to be adjusted after installing springs?

Additionally, if anyone has any suggestions for springs, I'd love to hear them. I was thinking about the ELEVATE springs, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I lowered my 2014 S60 AWD T5 with H&R and didn't bother. I have the plain low quality halogen HL's. (Wish I had the HID's now. LOL!). I had them done after I noticed they weren't in line up/down. Right was aimed lower. I think there all kinds of sensors on the suspension that check and self align the active HL's.

The H&R gave a nice drop, ride was almost softer then the stock Sport Springs. Took them out after 14K miles for the full on KW V3 coil over kit. Reason, my after market wheels have 3/4" MORE offset to the outside so the tires rub. Not BAD, but they do. With the KW's I can raise the height and or make the adj shocks firmer to reduce the rubbing. Problem now it's to firm to reduce rub makes the ride very poor. Looks like I'll get the fenders rolled come spring when I take the snows on stock wheels off. They DON'T RUB! Want some H&R'? PM me. I can send you pic's also if you'd like. I think someone started a tread asking for pic's with different springs/wheels. I haven't had luck posting pic's here.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The more I research this, the more I'm thinking that replacing the springs + struts at the same time would be the way to go... Although I've got less than 12,000 miles on the car, so it may not matter as much... Any suggestions here? It seems like the mileage is low enough that I could get away without doing the struts too.

I'm pretty confident in my ability to make this modification myself, and have seen it done on other vehicles and for the most part, they should be about the same. My only worry is that I am a bit nervous about using a spring compressor. I've also been looking all over for a service manual, but again, can't find anything for this platform.

Does anyone have any experience with this install (springs/struts) that could give any advice? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Had the Eibachs and just swapped them out for the H&Rs. I have the Xenons so they're self-levelling.
H&Rs ride softer than the Eibach IMO. The drop is much nicer on the H&Rs too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
A shorter spring will require that the auto leveller relearn the new zero position. A shorter spring will make the car dip the lights since it will think the car is loaded. On VAG cars it is a quick relearn with the dealer tool or VAGCom.

Do these cars have a level sensor on the front and rear, or only the rear? If on both then a relearn may not be necessary since the delta between the spring sizes may be considered.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Had the Eibachs and just swapped them out for the H&Rs. I have the Xenons so they're self-levelling.
H&Rs ride softer than the Eibach IMO. The drop is much nicer on the H&Rs too.
Sorry to threadjack but could you please post a couple of pics of your car on the H&R springs? I'm considering these but haven't been able to find very many clear pics of the drop.

Back on topic, I have xenons too but my headlights were adjusted too low and pooled light just past the bumper. I adjusted them to aim slightly higher with two turns of the adjustment screws on top of the headlights.

·
Registered
369 Posts

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
That looks great! Thank you, I really appreciate it. Any chance you could get a couple more, capturing the whole car from 10 or 20 ft away? Thanks again, and sorry for the bother.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Adjusting the lights is easy, you only need a long nose set of pliers. Below the front crash support on top of the headlight is a white plastic tab shaped to accept a tiny socket head. Twist it the respective way for up and down to manually adjust the lights, its the easiest thing to do. I haven't needed to look for the right/left adjustment so am not sure if there is a second tab, but either way its right there. Just do it on level ground with a good marker, and do a couple drives to make sure you're happy with it.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
It's probably easier to do it with the proper-sized long socket/extension/ ratchet like I did. It took about a minute on each side. I went exactly 2 turns each. My lighting now projects much further without blinding anyone in the process, whereas before the HIDs pooled far too close to my bumper, leaving the rest of my sightlines in pitch darkness. When I made the adjustments I did it up with the lights on and watched how the cutoff line moved up and down (using objects in front of my car as a reference to get the lights even and at the right height), then I street-tested the car to confirm they were adjusted properly.

I wonder if the lighting setting the car came with didn't take into account the slight rake of the springs? My car sits really high and has more wheelgap in the rear than the front. This seems to be a common stance for many US market cars, presumably because the manufacturers are expecting the car to be shuttling obese passengers back and forth between McDonalds and Walmart and they want the car to have sufficient suspension travel fully loaded. I suspect the original headlight settings would be perfect for a lower but more level drop.

Edit: I followed these instructions when I did mine. Quoted from an S80 thread but the basics are the same, and I believe it's an 8mm socket you'll need, too:
There is. Just look through all the holes above your lights and in one of them for each light you will see a little white hex nut about an inch or so down (use a flashlight).
Get a correct socket (8mm I think?) and an extension and with the lights on in a location where you can see the beam move up and down turn the nuts. I suggest one full turn "up" to start. Go for a drive and see how it is. Make sure you turn both sides the same amount for best results.
I have both cars adjusted this way (one halogen, one xenon) and the low beam extends very far down the road yet nobody ever flicks their brights at me.
Stock they are both pointed too dang low.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts