SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My S60 T5 has arrived at the dealership (as of Saturday). They will do the prep this week and the car should be ready on Thursday. Probably going to pick it up on Friday. That will officially indoctrinate me in the Volvo club! :thumbup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
My S60 T5 has arrived at the dealership (as of Saturday). They will do the prep this week and the car should be ready on Thursday. Probably going to pick it up on Friday. That will officially indoctrinate me in the Volvo club! :thumbup:
Congrats and welcome! The color combo sounds awesome!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
You know, they always say they have to prep the car. Aside from registering and insurance, what else are they doing? My friend bought a used Audi A3 and they took two weeks to prep the car. Told him they were cleaning it. On the day he took delivery of the car, the car was dirty, mismatched tires, etc. Definitely no sane dealership would have sold a car in that condition.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You know, they always say they have to prep the car. Aside from registering and insurance, what else are they doing? My friend bought a used Audi A3 and they took two weeks to prep the car. Told him they were cleaning it. On the day he took delivery of the car, the car was dirty, mismatched tires, etc. Definitely no sane dealership would have sold a car in that condition.
I know for my car a portion of the travel was by train... it gets covered by brake dust so they use special chemicals to clean it off.

Welcome to to the Volvo club:)

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
The car arrives in what we call "transport mode"; only part of the software needed to operate the car is downloaded (to avoid excessive battery drain during potentially long storage times), there is an electronic governor that will not allow the car to go over 20 mph and that has to be removed, there are suspension spacers that need to be removed, tires arrive inflated to 55psi- 60psi that have to be adjusted in the high 30s, plastic wheel covers are on and must be removed, etc.

Furthermore, each arriving car has to be thoroughly inspected and have its version of software checked in case any updates were issued from the time time it left Europe to when it arrived in the U.S.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car arrives in what we call "transport mode"; only part of the software needed to operate the car is downloaded (to avoid excessive battery drain during potentially long storage times), there is an electronic governor that will not allow the car to go over 20 mph and that has to be removed, there are suspension spacers that need to be removed, tires arrive inflated to 55psi- 60psi that have to be adjusted in the high 30s, plastic wheel covers are on and must be removed, etc.

Furthermore, each arriving car has to be thoroughly inspected and have its version of software checked in case any updates were issued from the time time it left Europe to when it arrived in the U.S.
If the Volvo dealership needs the time to make sure all the updates are installed, perform required software and mechanical adjustments, responsibly wash any travel dust/dirt from the train ride to the dealership then I have no issue waiting for the car. What is a few days of waiting for a car that is prepared correctly? This is a small amount of time compared to having to bring in the car to correct these issues after delivery.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Signed the paperwork for the S60 T5 but it remains at the dealers. The car looks terrific and drove as good as it looks! However, the front control panel needs replacement due to a sticky media button. On the way through Denver, I hit a rather large pot hole and damaged my right front rim and tore the sidewall of the tire. Needless to say, I went back to the dealership. Before I initially left the dealership I did opt for the tire and road hazard warranty so that will be covered. Chrome tail pipe covers not ordered by dealership even though my order sheet includes them. The dealership has ordered them and will install them gratis (very nice!). I also opted for the 7 year/100,000 mile warranty and that includes window tint and clear bra installation for hood, mirrors headlights. As this car will be used as my company vehicle, my consulting business will pick up the tab on this (nice tax deduction).

I should have the car back mid week this week. In the meantime, I have a generic S60 T5 as a loaner.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Three pictures of my S60 T5. I am not planning on doing much to it as the car is spec'ed out like I wanted it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts