SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just topped off the tank when the gage reading was 3/4 FULL on the dash, yet the tank took 7.2 gallons. Seems way off.

Also, the online spec sheets show the tank capacity as 17.8 gallons, while the owners manual states it's 18.5 gallons. Which one do we believe?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, I meant to ask if anyone knows what the low-pressure trigger is for the TPMS to indicate a low-pressure condition on the dash. ?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Sorry, I meant to ask if anyone knows what the low-pressure trigger is for the TPMS to indicate a low-pressure condition on the dash. ?
The ability to check pressure via Sensus would be a great added feature. The computer is already reading it...

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
TPMS will trigger at somewhere around 30PSI or below, in my experience.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I just topped off the tank when the gage reading was 3/4 FULL on the dash, yet the tank took 7.2 gallons. Seems way off.

Also, the online spec sheets show the tank capacity as 17.8 gallons, while the owners manual states it's 18.5 gallons. Which one do we believe?
I haven't had any issues with either of my S60's fuel readings yet or noticed anything funny. 18.5 gallons is the size, 17.8 might be how much the guage reads before what is in reserve?? Try a different gas station to see if it was maybe the pump.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't had any issues with either of my S60's fuel readings yet or noticed anything funny. 18.5 gallons is the size, 17.8 might be how much the guage reads before what is in reserve?? Try a different gas station to see if it was maybe the pump.
Thanks! I'm sure your right - 17.8 gals of usable fuel before the fuel pump starts sipping "air". Seems reasonable to assume that there would be .7 gals remaining in the tank at that point.

The pumps calibration may have been way off (in their favor), and my reading of the gas gauge may have been a bit too optimistic with the graphics in the speedo, so i'll keep an eye on it for the next few fills. (I had no odd discrepancies during a 1250 mile trip recently.)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Tank gauges are not proportional. Their designed to go down faster in the 2nd half. Its meant to scare the s**t out of the driver.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Tank gauges are not proportional. Their designed to go down faster in the 2nd half. Its meant to scare the s**t out of the driver.
Because I'm old will share...GM and Toyota to name just two were brands that had floats in the tank that didn't move until about 1/4 tank of gas was gone. Toyota even had a commercial that bragged about it, all the while the truck in the ad didn't get good mileage at all. We used to think "wow, 70 miles and still on full" but as previously stated, when it started moving to "E" it went fast. My S60 moves within one gallon (only guessing), but moves right off full.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Because I'm old will share...GM and Toyota to name just two were brands that had floats in the tank that didn't move until about 1/4 tank of gas was gone.
My Pontiac did that! I figured it due to the shape of the upper portion of the tank. But the quarter marks were right. I got about 100 miles per quarter. I haven't noticed any inaccuracies with the S60. Just today the gauge was at the halfway mark, I filled for a trip tomorrow, it took 9 gallons..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Pontiac did that! I figured it due to the shape of the upper portion of the tank. But the quarter marks were right. I got about 100 miles per quarter. I haven't noticed any inaccuracies with the S60. Just today the gauge was at the halfway mark, I filled for a trip tomorrow, it took 9 gallons..
9 gallons at the halfway mark looks "dead on" to me.

On long trips, I have a tendency to squeeze as much fuel into the tank as possible, going past the 1st fuel shut-off click to the second or even third shut-off click. It's possible this "over-filling" is throwing the gage calibration off somewhat, but I doubt that I'm adding much more than a 1/2 to 1 full quart of gas at that point, not that much.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
9 gallons at the halfway mark looks "dead on" to me.

On long trips, I have a tendency to squeeze as much fuel into the tank as possible, going past the 1st fuel shut-off click to the second or even third shut-off click. It's possible this "over-filling" is throwing the gage calibration off somewhat, but I doubt that I'm adding much more than a 1/2 to 1 full quart of gas at that point, not that much.
On my past 2 VWs I would do the 2 - 3 click method. I could almost get another gallon in doing this. When I attempted to add more gas after the first click on my S60 I immediately got spillover. After my first two fill-ups and getting a mess I call it filled after the first click now.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
On my past 2 VWs I would do the 2 - 3 click method. I could almost get another gallon in doing this. When I attempted to add more gas after the first click on my S60 I immediately got spillover. After my first two fill-ups and getting a mess I call it filled after the first click now.
I'm the same way. Old car was 2-3 click, Volvo is 1 click -- 2 clicks if I forget (with spashback 1/2 the time).

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
You guys shouldn't overfill it. I recall reading somewhere that overfilling it will cause gasoline to spill into some oxygen chamber or something and screw everything up.

I once watched a guy get 5 clicks in, rock the car, 2 clicks, rock the car, 2 clicks, rock the car, 1 MORE CLICK!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My experience has been after 1 click on a Volvo and you'd best be prepared for a splash.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
You guys shouldn't overfill it. I recall reading somewhere that overfilling it will cause gasoline to spill into some oxygen chamber or something and screw everything up.

I once watched a guy get 5 clicks in, rock the car, 2 clicks, rock the car, 2 clicks, rock the car, 1 MORE CLICK!
Adding more fuel after it clicks off risks ruining your charcoal canister which means gas tank replacement (not cheap).
Honestly if you do this habitually you're pretty much guaranteed to ruin the thing eventually.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts