SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a row of traffic that had to stop quickly - the guy behind me was busy tuning in his radio. He hit me so hard that the body buckled enough to jam the rear doors. This shoved me under a sport-ute in front of me. It had a big trailer hitch, and it came over my bumper. It caved in everything above the bumper and folded it over the engine.

The WHIPS system let the seat back absorb the impact and I just opened the door and got out. No scuffs, no scratches. The 2004 S60 2.5T had only 35K miles and was showroom pristine - absolutely perfect, but it was totaled. Made me sick to loose it, but the Volvo did what it was supposed to do and I walked.

Ironically, it took a Volvo to kill my Volvo. The guy behind was driving one of the old big 800 or 900 series brick wagons. It knocked his bumper crooked, but he drove it away.

Doesn't qualify as a "Volvo Saved My Life" but it did keep me safe!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Congrats on walking away! A family member had the same thing happen to her in an Acura and had years of back problems as a result. Volvos can't protect you from everything, but if you're driving anything else and get injured, you'll always wonder why you didn't buy a safer car :).

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Glad that you are safe! Any pictures of the accident? I'm sorry about your loss, but I'm sure you'll end up in another Volvo after an experience like that.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I'm not sure what's more amazing in that story, a 2004 with only 35k miles or a brick wagon that drove away just fine.

Glad to see you didn't sustain any injuries.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm not sure what's more amazing in that story, a 2004 with only 35k miles or a brick wagon that drove away just fine.

Glad to see you didn't sustain any injuries.
This happened about 2 years ago, so the mileage is not quite as unusual as it would be today. But - the S60 was my baby, and it was pampered. I had a 2000 S40 as daily driver and grocery getter, so the 60 was the special occasion car that I wanted to keep when I retired. One year it didn't leave the garage from November until march, and when my wife got sick we only used one car. The sad part is that I only drove it that day because it had been sitting for a couple weeks and I wanted to keep the battery charged. It was a nice as the day I bought it new, and naturally I got killed on the insurance settlement. I suggested that they just find me another S60 like it, and finally got a better figure but not enough to replace it.

Not only did the brick wagon survive relatively untouched, the Jeep Cherokee in front didn't have a mark on it. The 60 went into it nose down and the trailer hitch came over the bumper and wiped out the front and the hood. Last I heard its driver was trying to get a new children's seat out of the insurance company, even though his was unoccupied in the middle of the back seat.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad that you are safe! Any pictures of the accident? I'm sorry about your loss, but I'm sure you'll end up in another Volvo after an experience like that.
It happened about 2 years ago - I deleted the pix when I bought a new phone last year. After a friend had bad accident in 2003 I went shopping for the safest thing I could find and bought the S60. Now driving a 05 V50, and am trying hard to resist the temptation to buy a new V60.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
This happened about 2 years ago, so the mileage is not quite as unusual as it would be today. But - the S60 was my baby, and it was pampered. I had a 2000 S40 as daily driver and grocery getter, so the 60 was the special occasion car that I wanted to keep when I retired. One year it didn't leave the garage from November until march, and when my wife got sick we only used one car. The sad part is that I only drove it that day because it had been sitting for a couple weeks and I wanted to keep the battery charged. It was a nice as the day I bought it new, and naturally I got killed on the insurance settlement. I suggested that they just find me another S60 like it, and finally got a better figure but not enough to replace it.

Not only did the brick wagon survive relatively untouched, the Jeep Cherokee in front didn't have a mark on it. The 60 went into it nose down and the trailer hitch came over the bumper and wiped out the front and the hood. Last I heard its driver was trying to get a new children's seat out of the insurance company, even though his was unoccupied in the middle of the back seat.
Terrible, and that's not a hollow soundbite, our XC60 is to us what your S60 was to you.

We've had one car for about about 8 years now, and it works for us cause my wife works three miles one way from our house and I work three miles the other way. So we've been carpooling all those years.

And we still do today. The XC60 only gets about 600 miles a month.

Our Volvo has been described to me by my friend as a "Trophy Car". I doubted him at first, but he's right. We don't drive it in the rain if we don't have to. We plan on keeping it in the garage most of the winter too, I don't want all that nasty salt on him.

I understand your pain, but I hope I don't feel it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts