SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read this in Car and Driver last night. Is that old news? I don't remember seeing it anywhere. Could be they are focusing on building the concept? Looked on Boston Volvo.com and they don't have any 2010's S60's for sale but do for the S40 and S80.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Re: S60 Dead for 2010 (Bioran)

They are stopping production on a few things. The 2009 XC90 V8 R Design is done, a one year production. V6 is all they will offer now.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Re: S60 Dead for 2010 (Bioran)

there was a press release or something when the last s60 came off the line. read it on SS, and elsewhere. love the design but excited to see whats next as i've liked recent designs as well. too bad none are performance oriented manuals.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Re: S60 Dead for 2010 (atacamaR)

What model is the concept going to be? Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Re: S60 Dead for 2010 (dave_n_ruth)

Quote, originally posted by dave_n_ruth »
They are stopping production on a few things. The 2009 XC90 V8 R Design is done, a one year production. V6 is all they will offer now.

Not to nitpick but Volvo hasn't built a V6 in quite a long while.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Re: S60 Dead for 2010 (Dextrobrick)

OK, they will only offer the lame XC90 now.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Re: S60 Dead for 2010 (Dextrobrick)

Quote, originally posted by Dextrobrick »

Not to nitpick but Volvo hasn't built a V6 in quite a long while.

Yeah, not since 1979 with the 260.

The S60 isn't "dead", it's just seeing a refresh.. It happens. They already stopped production a couple months ago, and there is no reason to continue producing a car that isn't selling when there are much much newer competitors out there. The S60 will return for the 2011 model year.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: S60 Dead for 2010 (cmurphy2266)

Quote, originally posted by cmurphy2266 »

The S60 isn't "dead", it's just seeing a refresh.. It happens. They already stopped production a couple months ago, and there is no reason to continue producing a car that isn't selling when there are much much newer competitors out there.

Really? It's only been the best selling car in June and July...two months straight...

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: S60 Dead for 2010 (GrecianVolvo)

Quote, originally posted by GrecianVolvo »
Really? It's only been the best selling car in June and July...two months straight...

Amazing what FAT incentives will do.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

That's like saying the best of the worst. Volvo isn't selling cars. Plus, the big three have much better offerings that are MUCH newer, it doesn't make sense to buy an S60 at this point.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: S60 Dead for 2010 (cmurphy2266)

Quote, originally posted by cmurphy2266 »

That's like saying the best of the worst. Volvo isn't selling cars. Plus, the big three have much better offerings that are MUCH newer, it doesn't make sense to buy an S60 at this point.

Perhaps for you, which I appreciate. For many others, owning a brand new Volvo, which gets very good mileage, is priced in the mid to high $20Ks and has 5years/60,000-mile warranty, paid maintenance for 5 years/60,000 miles (incl. wipers and brakes), 5 years roadside assistance plus 5 years/60,000 miles wear and tear is a proposal that is too good to pass up.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

Most manufacturers run a 5-7 year product cycle. After a 9 year run, the only way to sell the S60 (or most Volvos for that matter) is through heavy discounting AND the Safe/Soud Package combination. Even this will get stale without more new product. The landscape is far too competitive to rely on the old 1/2/GL mentality.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

Perhaps for you, which I appreciate. For many others, owning a brand new Volvo, which gets very good mileage, is priced in the mid to high $20Ks and has 5years/60,000-mile warranty, paid maintenance for 5 years/60,000 miles (incl. wipers and brakes), 5 years roadside assistance plus 5 years/60,000 miles wear and tear is a proposal that is too good to pass up.

Are you trying to sell me a car? BMW offers the same thing, and they have updated their car already, which is better than the S60 in so many ways.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Okay, the coverage plan is slightly better. BMW still produces a much better midsized sedan, right now. it's not about who is better than BMW, it's who is the most like the 3-series, and the S60 just isn't. It sells no where near as many cars as BMW, and you know that. Until Volvo makes a proper AWD or RWD S60, it will never be as good as the 3-series.

With their coverage plan.... You know what they say about desperate times and desperate measures...

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: (cmurphy2266)

BMW does make a nice car. However, there are a lot of people who don't want or like that kind of car. Lexus makes a good living selling IS and ES class cars. So does Mercedes with the C Class.
The new S60 will be a credible alternative for someone who simply doesn't want a 4 door sports car. Also, the best selling of the 3 Series have always been the slowest,least expensive ones. Which means people are looking at the sizzle not the steak. The new S60 is going to be a better car than the base 3 Series. If we can slow someone down and get them to really evaluate what they are getting for what they are spending, we will be ok.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Re: (VolvoMax)

Quote, originally posted by VolvoMax »
BMW does make a nice car. However, there are a lot of people who don't want or like that kind of car. Lexus makes a good living selling IS and ES class cars. So does Mercedes with the C Class.
The new S60 will be a credible alternative for someone who simply doesn't want a 4 door sports car. Also, the best selling of the 3 Series have always been the slowest,least expensive ones. Which means people are looking at the sizzle not the steak. The new S60 is going to be a better car than the base 3 Series. If we can slow someone down and get them to really evaluate what they are getting for what they are spending, we will be ok.

What a completely stupid comment. You've never driven, nor has anyone actually driven a production S60, and you're saying it's automatically going to be better than the 328i?

For actual car enthusiasts, which is what we are, we look at balance, performance, handling, control, etc. I will guarantee that the FWD/AWD S60 will not be as good as a perfectly balanced RWD car. If it has the 3.2l i6 is going to be WAY underpowered, just like the S80. It won't sell because most people won't care for the design. As much as I love my car, and I like Volvo as a whole, I don't refer to a company that I have no other affiliation with as "us", or "we will be ok", and I look at cars objectively. I've said this so many times. The S60, as good as a car it COULD or MIGHT be, is too LITTLE to LATE, the witting is already on the wall for Volvo. People bought their cars in the past for the majority reason that they are safe cars. And with most cars having the same advanced safety features, it's hard to justify. No one who is a car enthusiast really wants a Volvo because they are just boring cars, and the people who drive them, are BORING. I'm just being honest, and you're just deluded because you make a living selling the cars, and I understand and respect that.

On top of all that, Volvo doesn't really have any desirable cars in their lineup to car enthusiasts. No performance cars, and nothing with any power. The V8 is WAY underpowered for its size, and it comes in a very boring, and overpriced car.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts