SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
S60 D5 R-Design - MY 2012
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

This is my first post here and I already asked this to a smaller local Forum but they were just as clueless as me. So here goes sky second attempt in fixing this issue.

First of all, my car:

Model: S60 D5 AWD with R Design from 06/11

Engine: D5244T15 with 215HP

Mileage: 172.000KM (106.000 Miles)

Last Oil change about 10.000km and last transmission oil flushing about 20.000km ago.

Had my front passenger side drive axle replaced (together with the transmission oil) as the bearing was beyond damaged.

Now, to my problem.

It all started a few weeks ago, when, after driving 400km for holiday (of course), the car suddenly lost power. I had my cruise set to about 130km/h but started getting slower. When pressing down the accelerator the engine speed would increase but the car wouldn't transfer the power to the transmission.

After a minute or so, the power would come back and i could continue driving normally. Even let me go 170-180km/h no problem (yes, this happened in Germany).

A few minutes later the power loss came back, and this time it stayed. I couldn't even climb a 1% inclination. And I just barely mad it off of the Autobahn and onto a parking spot. Last few meters the car only jerked forwards while accelerating from standstill. Turned the car off. Waited a few minutes and it wouldn't turn back on. Sounded like killing of a manual due to letting the clutch come to fast (i have automatic transmission fyi).

Okay, so I called the ADAC (Germany's triple A) and he checked the high pressure pump (which thank God was okay) and then had a look at the DTCs. There were multiple errors which didn't inherently make sense (I'll post them below). After deleting the errors, the car immediately started and was totally fine like nothing ever happened.

The ADAC person told me I could try to continue driving as the ECM may just have been a bit lost. But if it would come up again i should immediately call him back.

So I started driving again, being careful to only accelerate slowly. But after 8km it went into limp mode again and I hade to call him back.

When he arrived back there were about the same errors again (not identical but close) and we deleted the again. Drove to a parking space and called a tow.

Got a free replacement car and my car was shipped home.

2 weeks later I got back from holiday and my car was there. I read the codes out with Vida and Dice (I'll post them below).

Barely wants to start until I delete the DTCs. Couldn't yet make out a pattern when the codes start to come in but i think the car has to be somewhat warm for them to come up. First is always camshaft position sensor circuit Low and the Particulate pressure sensor circuit low. The others don't always come up and are rather random in their order of occurrence.

What I have done so far:

-replaced the battery

-replaced the intake manifold gasket seal

-replaced the injector seals and rings as well as cleaning out the injector 'chamber'

-checked the ECM plug for water damage.

-checked basically all fuses i could find

-replaced the broken cable for the crankcase ventilation heater (stupid thing pours oil all over my engine bay) (picture down below).

And now i am out of ideas. I did test drives with graphs and tried to check voltages and measure cable/signal continuity etc.

I just can't find the problem.

Really hope you guys can give me a helping hand.

I have a lot of tools and I am not exactly afraid of measuring every cable in the whole car but i need a place to start searching.

As far as I've understood from the DTCs there is a short somewhere. However, i can't really see where that short would be.

I don't have an oscilloscope - sadly and I don't have a real car lift but i sometimes have access to one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, really :)

Readout as per Vida at home:

• ECM-P246386 Diesel Particulate Filter Restriction - Soot accumulation - Bus Signal/Message Failures - Signal Invalid
• ECM-P034000 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or single sensor)
• ECM-P040500 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit Low
• ECM-P052400 Engine Oil Pressure too low
• ECM-P046C85 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance - Bus Signal/Message Failures - Signal above allowable Range.
• TCM-P074468 Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit Intermittent - Algorithm based failures - Event information
• ECM-P245202 Diesel Particulate Filter Pressure Sensor A Circuit - General Signal Failure
• ECM-P034100 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/ Performance (Bank 1 or single sensor)
• ECM-P034200 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Low (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)
• ECM-P06A700 Sensor reference voltage B Circuit Range /Performance.

(As i just accidentally deleted my text, I'll cut this post short and just post the paper the ADAC guy gave me. Left is first readout, right is second readout)
Plant Font Electric blue Paper Pattern

Also, my battery seemed to have leaked, which is why I replaced it. But some of the battery fluid leaked onto my transmission but it seems to be working completely fine.

If anyone could give me an idea where to start searching or where to look I'd greatly appreciate it. If you need any additional info, just ask, i will provide it.

Greetings
-
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system

Nose Eyebrow Eye Eyelash Human body

World Font Wall Flooring Urban design

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Tire Automotive design

Hand Automotive tire Finger Nail Rim

White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hand Automotive tire Finger Nail Thumb

Tea

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, I had some time and was able to measure (nearly) all the pins on the ECM, but I'm not too sure wether or not I've found anything. Def. Seems odd that there is no change in voltage on the DPF pressure sensor when pushing the pedal down, compared to idle.
Font Material property Paper Paper product Document

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, Hows it going? I was just searching a similar problem. I have seen a number of the same errors on My D5244T15 V70. Did you get to the bottom of the problem? I have found loads of wiring broken over the last few months and slowly resolved them as it was just so many short circuits on the loom. Anything I can compare?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, Hows it going? I was just searching a similar problem. I have seen a number of the same errors on My D5244T15 V70. Did you get to the bottom of the problem? I have found loads of wiring broken over the last few months and slowly resolved them as it was just so many short circuits on the loom. Anything I can compare?
Hi.
So for me it was the battery, which corroded the grounding wire form the battery to the chassis and to the power train. If there are irrational errors, and weird stuff happening it's either some bad ground connection, broken wires (animal damage for example) or a bad ECU/CEM.

If you got vida you could post the error codes here that would help a lot. If not, you should visit a vivo shop who can read out the codes for you, should be expensive. Maybe 10 bucks in the tip jar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts