·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Before any S60 illustration shows up, let's guess, what kind of style you want S60 to be?

Sober family or business style, or
sporty racing style?

S60 has very good chance to contend BMW 3 series... Even a simple T6 S60 with 316HP is so fast, not to mention PHEV version.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'd like to see the S60 show up with a little less sobriety than the S90. It's supposed to be a compact (maybe a little less compact next time?) sport sedan, after all. Critically, I want to see rear end styling that better integrates with the rest of the car. It'll be disappointing if they pull an Audi and just shrink the S90 down to 80% size.

Also note that Infiniti is revamping the Q50 this year with a MB-sourced 4-pot and a pair of twin-turbo 3.0L V6 engines. That thing as well as the attractive and well-positioned XE will be competing for a lot of the same people who would be inclined to look at an S60. Volvo needs to bring their A-game.

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
Before any S60 illustration shows up, let's guess, what kind of style you want S60 to be?

Sober family or business style, or
sporty racing style?
How about something with a more balanced looking trunk?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Nothing really new here. I agree we wont see the new S60 as a 2017 model year car. Volvo have always said (or at least inferred) that the next XC60 will be first of the new 60 series models to appear. And that I believe will be some time during the 2017 calendar year. That pushes the S60 (and V60) back to late 2017 as a MY18 model at the earliest. Volvo have previously said all models will be refreshed by 2019. With the 40 series models being developed on the Volvo-Geely CMA platform as we speak (spy pictures of the current generation V40 body on the CMA platform have already appeared), we should see the first 40 series - most likely the new XC40 - by 2017. That means the next generation S60 and V60 will likely be the models "bringing up the rear".

Tony

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually think S60 should be made before XC60 to sell more sedans. Current XC60 still sells well and could last for one or two more years. Current S60 sale will go down faster.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
S60 sales are dismal, while xc60 is selling like hotcakes, I think its clear which model should be prioritized... The new S60 should have a large trunk and more headroom in the back if it is to be successful; I belive the current generation is ruled by many due to the shortcomings in these two areas.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If volvo sticks to the 6 month lag between car introductions, then we might see s60 in Geneva 2017.
V90 in March, XC90 at frankfurt/detroit then S60 will be in Geneva 2017 as 2018 model.

·
Registered
985 Posts
They need it asap. The current S60 is starting to look data (especially the pre-facelifted models).

Of course a good solution - until the next generation is really - is more horsepower. Always more HP.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There is no way a Volvo or any other brand can contend 3 series.

And frankly there is no need to.

I want S60 as a sane, spacey and a comfy sedan not some stupid sporty car.

Today almost every manufacturer is trying to be sporty and no it's not good.

Volvo should make S60 safe, luxurious and comfortable.

·
Registered
538 Posts
There is no way a Volvo or any other brand can contend 3 series.

And frankly there is no need to.

I want S60 as a sane, spacey and a comfy sedan not some stupid sporty car.

Today almost every manufacturer is trying to be sporty and no it's not good.

Volvo should make S60 safe, luxurious and comfortable.
Totally agree. This will be the $$$ car for Volvo sedans.

Got to use the same philosophy as the Toyota Camry in order to make it profitable.

Sure, some of use likes the sporty but what the majority of buyers would like is the safe, reliable, stylish mid size sedans.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It desperately needs a third pedal and a manual transmission..

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Totally agree. This will be the $$$ car for Volvo sedans.

Got to use the same philosophy as the Toyota Camry in order to make it profitable.

Sure, some of use likes the sporty but what the majority of buyers would like is the safe, reliable, stylish mid size sedans.
If you know how Camry cuts cost crazy on materials, options, and safety features, you won't want any Volvo cars to be like Camry.

Sedan segment is highly competitive. For a comfy safe sedan there are bunch of choices. Volvo got to have someting more visible than safety as a sell point. Handling should be good, if not excellent. Styling better not be for people at age of 30's to 40's as ever gentleman wants to be younger. And still need someting unique to sell.

I believe the styling will not be very aggressive after all. But I hope they don't be conservative on power, and body kits. 316HP is always hotter than 250HP. If there is official affordable body kit to make it look truly outstanding then American will love it. $4k for just an Urban kit on XC90 won't sell.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks like they may have it in Europe but not US.
Definitely. Manual transmission is still the default in Europe, automatic is by many perceived as a luxury option and/or for the lazy or elderly. No kidding! There is a slow shift towards automatic transmission, but it won't be the norm in Europe for many years to come. Only electrification will get Europeans out of their manual transmission cars, eventually.

·
Registered
770 Posts
If you mean rock-solid reliability then sure, I'm with you. I want that. But if you mean you want Volvo to literally build a Swedish Camry then I don't get it. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against competent, reliable midsize sedans. I'm the kind of person who might just buy another one some day by choice. But the S60 is going to be competing in a market that starts at around $40kUSD. A Camry-type experience is absolutely the wrong target to shoot for.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Looks like they may have it in Europe but not US. Do a OSD maybe. Or buy in Europe and ship to US by yourself.

Only on entry level models with the "smaller", now lower power, engine's.
Driving a V40T2 today which comes with the new 2.0 Drive-E engine producing 120 HP and has a 6 speed manual gearbox. The T5 however can only be had with the 8 speed AT. Same goes for the T6.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can someone drop a manual gearbox into T6 car, since it is scalable platform?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can someone drop a manual gearbox into T6 car, since it is scalable platform?

Since the manual gbox is only available with the low end (eco) engines it is probably a lightweight unit designed for maximum efficiency. T6 has probably too much torque for that unit to handle.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts