SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm thinking about replacing my lexus es330 for a S60 AWD and i was wondering after what year is best? I've read and heard about haldex issues in later gen systems, but im not sure when they started becoming more reliable. Any other major issues that these cars are known to have? Thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
2007-2008

·
Registered
563 Posts
Just jumped on this thread... as I'm also thinking of looking at an S60. My heart is on an S80, but one's I like are a tad out of my price range.

Could you (Strong Man) or anyone else elaborate on what makes the 2007-2008s the ones to look for? What about an 02' or 03'?

There are (2) in my area here in the Midwest that I'd consider going to look at. Both have reasonably low miles on them (especially the 02'), but the asking prices for both seem high... again, especially the 02'. KBB values aren't even close to the asking prices, unless I'm missing something.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/627138255/overview/ (02')

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/626768648/overview/ (03')

Thanks for any additional info. you could provide.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just jumped on this thread... as I'm also thinking of looking at an S60. My heart is on an S80, but one's I like are a tad out of my price range.

Could you (Strong Man) or anyone else elaborate on what makes the 2007-2008s the ones to look for? What about an 02' or 03'?

There are (2) in my area here in the Midwest that I'd consider going to look at. Both have reasonably low miles on them (especially the 02'), but the asking prices for both seem high... again, especially the 02'. KBB values aren't even close to the asking prices, unless I'm missing something.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/627138255/overview/ (02')

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/626768648/overview/ (03')

Thanks for any additional info. you could provide.

I agree with you seem quite overpriced. I have a 2002 S60 AWD, I bought it new and it now has 178k on it. I have had pretty good luck, but I am good on oil and transmission service. I believe it is common to have transmission issues on the pre 2004 S60. Personally I like the interiors of the 2005+ better (note on the second link the 2003 it is missing its cupholder door on the console, this is common).

The AWD system, I have had zero issues with mine, but I bought my R with a AWD issue and a friend bought a 2004 S60 AWD also with AWD issues. Both were the DEM controller ~$450 repair. So make sure the AWD is working. The R had a visible fault, but the 2004 showed no visible faults (figured it out doing troubleshooting under the car). might be good to get the car scanned on a VIDA before buying.

Anyway, what I understand is you should target a 2005+ for better electronics (that reminds me my 2002 DIM is dead) and the nicer interior. For the price of those two you could find a nice 2005+ (maybe not with 44k on it, I admit the red one is tempting, just the price is really off the chart).

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the 06+ come with the haldex gen 3 system too. Any difference between the 06 and 07-08?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thank you for the info. Kenta... I appreciate it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I think the 06+ come with the haldex gen 3 system too. Any difference between the 06 and 07-08?
06 is the "instant traction" haldex just like 07-08.

On the S60R, the 2006 has a metal DEM cover, whereas the 07+ have a plastic one that many consider to be less robust, so in that sense 2006 is the best year. :D

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Even with ultra low miles, a 10 year old car is still 10 years old. Not at all a big problem, but to be aware. 09's all came well equipped, but being the last model year prices will usually reflect that. (although some still have warranty coverage too which is nice)

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
So i'm thinking about replacing my lexus es330 for a S60 AWD and i was wondering after what year is best? I've read and heard about haldex issues in later gen systems, but im not sure when they started becoming more reliable.
From what I have seen later is always better as far as the Haldex AWD.

Also, I know you posted in the P2 S60 forum (2001-2010) but your question doesn't specify... the best years are 2011+ S60 models that are the newer gen... :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I have seen later is always better as far as the Haldex AWD.

Also, I know you posted in the P2 S60 forum (2001-2010) but your question doesn't specify... the best years are 2011+ S60 models that are the newer gen... :)
Of course newer is usually better, but after buying the xc60 I'm now broke for a few years. The xc60 is supposed to go to my wife and im supposed to drive the es330, but i cannot seem to get the seat setup in such a way that it doesn't create back pain for me. Being 28 and having back pain already is definitely not a good thing lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts