SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

S60 AWD regular maintenance question

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  moocat 
#1 ·
My S60 AWD is coming up on 7500 miles. So far it has been a great car! No complaints at all.

I am leasing the car for 36 months, I have a 15K mi/yr allowance and I drive about 12K mi/yr. I am considering purchasing it at the end of the lease. I should also mention that this is my first "fancy" car (I have owned a Corolla and a Celica in the past).

Here are the questions:

1. Do I have to have the car serviced at the dealer? The prices there seem a little astronomical:

7.5K service = $175
15K = $289
22.5K = $305
30K = $529

(and these prices are with coupons!)

There is an article in Car and Driver (http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2002/august/0208_longterm_s60.xml?&page=2) where the services on a S60 T5 appear to be a lot cheaper, and the services are really nothing more than oil changes, tire rotations, and visual inspections.

2. If I have the car serviced elsewhere, will that cause problems with my lease? Does it make a difference if I go to my friendly mechanic or to a "Volvo specialized" mechanic?

3. What does the dealer do at 7.5K miles to justify $175? Maybe the "free" loaner is the difference? Or am I missing something?

I almost hate to say this, but Volvo is behind Audi and MZB which provide free maintenance for the first 50K miles. Some may argue that the maintenance is built in to their selling price, but my S60 and an audi A4 3.0 Quattro were similarly priced at the time I got the car. (BTW, I opted for the Volvo b/c the Audi was little uncomfortable for me to drive and I like the S60 styling a bit more. However, the A4 is also a beautiful car). When I leased the car and told the dealer that Audi provides free maintenance, he countered with the fact that modern cars require minimal maintenance and that my costs would be negligible.

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated. I still have about 3 weeks before I hit 7500.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: S60 AWD regular maintenance question (futboldad)

You can ask the dealer for a list of things done at 7,500 miles and get them done by who ever you want. If you know someone who you think will do as good a job as the dealer for less, than do that. The fews times I have taken my car else-where to get things done (supension installed, window replaced) I didn't think they did as good a job as the dealer.

In the case with my supsension, I had to take my car to the dealer after I was done at the shop, and this was a shop recommneded by two of my friends. Oh yea, and I had to go back three times to that same shop. heh, ok now I am ranting.

I guess for me, I don't need to save the money, and my local dealer always does a great job, so for me it is worth the extra money.

#3 ·

I thought that my 7500 mile service was expensive. I paid $98.88 plus tax. When I did the service it seemed like a $100 oil change to me. I did ask what they did for the service and the dealer gave me a list. For a 7500 Mile service they do the following:

1. Check and adjust coolant level
2. Check all codes and reset reminder light
3. Replace Oil & Oil Filter
4. Check battery charge and level
5. Check and adjust Brake fluid
6. Inspect break pads
7. Inspect Power steering
8. Inspect steering and front suspension (tighten suspension components if needed).
9. Rotate Tires if needed
10. Inspect Doors, hood, trunk, sunroof and lubricate hinges, latches, and sliding parts
11. Adjust washer fluid level

I didn't get a loaner because I would have to wait another 2 weeks. My 22.5k one is also 98.88 and does all the same as above.

At 30k it was pretty bad for my S70 T5 the bill was $720 because I had the service $400 plus engine Flush $120 plus alignment $75 and also brake pads $125.

Hope this helps out. If you have questions on what services they performe at 15k, 30k, 60k it is also listed on the brochure that I have

[Modified by TurbobrickT5, 6:58 PM 9-20-2002]

#4 ·

"1. Do I have to have the car serviced at the dealer?"

You do not really have to do anything but keep in mind that the car you are currently enjoying is not yours; you are renting it from a Bank. That Bank (and I assume it is Volvo Finance) will want to see, at the end of the lease, that you have followed the required maintenance schedule and used genuine Volvo parts, in the process. Otherwise, they have the right to charge you a penalty plus any additional wear and tear. Also, if you have followed the scheduled maintenance program to the tee, they will be less apt to scrutinize the exterior and interior of your car, at the end of the lease. Of course, if you are 100% sure that you will buy the car at the end, then do whatever you want.

The services performed at the Retailer are usually more money than at an indie shop for quite a few reasons but primarily because the labor rate is higher at the Volvo Retailer and because the parts used are not aftermarket. Furthermore, the Retailer is going to follow every single step required to service your car. Most independent shops do only "the major stuff" and leave out the rest.

$175 may be slightly higher than average for a 7.5K service but keep in mind that most Retailers' labor rate is at least $85/hr...

Yannis

#5 ·
Re: S60 AWD regular maintenance question (GrecianVolvo)

quote:

$175 may be slightly higher than average for a 7.5K service but keep in mind that most Retailers' labor rate is at least $85/hr...

Yannis
$85/hr... damn middle of the country *%&#$!
We in CA pay $92/hr http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#6 ·
Re: S60 AWD regular maintenance question (Kaizai)

Hey just a question if it is a lease... why spend the money for maintenacne??????? Don't get me wrong, get your oil changed and all that, but why spend that much money on a car your just going to turn in, in 3 yearss...

Spencer

#7 ·
Re: S60 AWD regular maintenance question (Kaizai)

Wow, you guys pay higher labor rates in American dollars than I pay in Canadian dollars from the dealer!! Last I checked it was $70- some odd dollars an hour. My money is worth two-thirds of yours! Ouch. But yeah, a Volvo dealer will do many extras without question. It is the better route in the long run. I'll do any major service with the Volvo dealer and little oil/filter changes inbetween elsewhere out of convenience.
I did source new brakes much cheaper outside the dealer though on my 850. $900+ with Volvo and I ended up with brembo rotors (OEM replacement, not oversized crazy awesome kit) for around $500-600 bucks. My pads are replaced for free now with mufflerman. They don't seem any worse and don't seem to cause more brake dust than the OEM pads (as if thats possible http://********************/smile/emwink.gif ) I'm running a free set now from the premium perchase before. As long as I go there for pads with this car they will always cost nothing. Not a bad deal.

[Modified by Spearzy, 12:26 AM 9-21-2002]

#8 ·
Re: S60 AWD regular maintenance question (GrecianVolvo)

Yannis, I understand what you mean about following the recommended service instructions. I write owner's manuals & technical literature for loading dock equipment, you have no idea what idiotic stories I here from service that customers do to their equipment. It is amazing that the Darwin's guidelines of survival of the fitest can explain these people's existances. What they should have is a regular service people from the OEM manufacture (or lisenced/supplied by) to upkeep the equipment as hardly any end user actually reads the literature I send with the product. I have included a maitenance schedule, safety warnings in a ANSI Z535 format, proper operating instructions and a complete parts list and people still do things that defy logic and put the warranty to the test. (and legal issues when someone actually gets hurt). Cars don't seem that different in the fact people just get in them and go, understand service as what seems reasonable to them. Even though this is a sofisticated peice of technology that is designed so well as to fool the end user into believing it is a mass hunk of steel made of 100 parts or less that should have little wear and a high resistance to neglect. Volvos are a car to be serviced properly and are highly rewarding for the proper care as they are above average on so many levels.

Here is to the good health of our cars! http://********************/smile/embeer.gif http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

[Modified by Spearzy, 1:05 AM 9-21-2002]

#9 ·
Re: S60 AWD regular maintenance question (Spearzy)

Here is to the good health of our cars!

Ditto! http://********************/smile/embeer.gif

#10 ·
Re: S60 AWD regular maintenance question (Gotballs)

"Hey just a question if it is a lease... why spend the money for maintenacne??????? Don't get me wrong, get your oil changed and all that, but why spend that much money on a car your just going to turn in, in 3 yearss..."

Here is why as explained previously:

"You do not really have to do anything but keep in mind that the car you are currently enjoying is not yours; you are renting it from a Bank. That Bank (and I assume it is Volvo Finance) will want to see, at the end of the lease, that you have followed the required maintenance schedule and used genuine Volvo parts, in the process. Otherwise, they have the right to charge you a penalty plus any additional wear and tear. Also, if you have followed the scheduled maintenance program to the tee, they will be less apt to scrutinize the exterior and interior of your car, at the end of the lease."

Furthermore, if everyone would start following your suggestion, I can guarantee you that all future lease customers would suffer as those [increased] costs of restoration would be passed along from the lease institutions to the customers.

Yannis

[Modified by GrecianVolvo, 4:11 AM 9-21-2002]

#11 ·

I just brought my car in for it's 7500 mi check up. I regularly have the oil changed by a shop that services high-end vehicles (bmw, mercedes, porches etc.) and have the mechanic use volvo filters etc. The oil change is half the cost of the dealer. Any way I save the receipts for warranty purposes.

When I brought the car into the dealer told them that I had the oil changed and tires rotated so all I wanted them to do was do the additional checks of the fluids etc. and had them apply one of the service software upgrades. They said it would cost me about $30.00. They gave me a car for the day and I went on my way. When I picked up the car I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't charge me a thing. Definitely was a good day! Typically the charge for the 7500 mi at this dealer is $79.95 I was told.

..dl...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.