SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've used the local Krown oil spray for my vehicles for many years with good results (mostly Japanese vehicles), and am wondering if the same can be used on the S60 without detriment? This of course to minimize rusting, as during the winter months we do use a lot of salt on the roads.

Thanks,
Chris...

·
Registered
856 Posts
If ya had good results on Jap cars, why not on a Volvo? I am curious about this stuff. Wish I had used it on my Outback! The rust on my 07 was terrible on the brakes. So bad that I fixed it and then sold it! Did not want to go through that again. But at the same time I have had Volvo's and never had issues. Volvo uses better metals especially on the fasteners.
That makes for a big difference on the rust problem. They will still corode but not nearly as bad as the Jap imports. What is this ****?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Hi all,

I've used the local Krown oil spray for my vehicles for many years with good results (mostly Japanese vehicles), and am wondering if the same can be used on the S60 without detriment? This of course to minimize rusting, as during the winter months we do use a lot of salt on the roads.

Thanks,
Chris...
No need. Volvo's anti corrosion warranty is one of the longest in the industry and there is a reason for that.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I would be really concerned about letting them drill holes into perfectly good sheet metal to apply their product. Breaking through the factory corrosion inhibitors like that is asking for trouble IMO. The last time we had a Volvo with any rust in a Volvo-heavy family (far more than my little list) it was my '85 740. That took more than a decade in salt happy New England to show any rust whatsoever and it was only near the end (when it was totaled in an accident in 2002) that I started to get a little worried about what I saw from underneath. That car's rust protection was stone age technology compared to anything built since the early '90. If it were my car I'd pass.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Volvos dont rust ;)

But seriously though. One of the most corrosion resistant makes of car I've seen.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Modern Volvo body panels, like most European cars, are made of galvanized steel with zinc coating, where not aluminum or plastic. Save your cash my friend.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I would be really concerned about letting them drill holes into perfectly good sheet metal to apply their product. Breaking through the factory corrosion inhibitors like that is asking for trouble IMO. The last time we had a Volvo with any rust in a Volvo-heavy family (far more than my little list) it was my '85 740. That took more than a decade in salt happy New England to show any rust whatsoever and it was only near the end (when it was totaled in an accident in 2002) that I started to get a little worried about what I saw from underneath. That car's rust protection was stone age technology compared to anything built since the early '90. If it were my car I'd pass.
Volvos dont rust ;)

But seriously though. One of the most corrosion resistant makes of car I've seen.
Modern Volvo body panels, like most European cars, are made of galvanized steel with zinc coating, where not aluminum or plastic. Save your cash my friend.
+1

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I also use a similar product. I've used it on my 2004 S60 R and now I'm using it on my 2012 T6 RD. Never had any issues with it. The underneath looks brand new. I reapply annually.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts