SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

S60 and OSD questions

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  C 70 Convertible OSD 
#1 ·
First off, let me just say that this is an excellent forum!

Now that Volvo is offering 2 free tickets until 4/19, I am really drooling over an S60 AWD. Before I go to the dealership, I'd like to inform myself on a few issues:

1. Financing. Are Volvo financing offers (if any) applicable? Alternatively, if I go through my credit union, won't they need a VIN to give me a loan? The reason I ask is that payment is due 30 days before pick-up and I'm not sure I'd have the VIN at that time.

2. Would I have to pay state sales tax? (CA) If so, when?

3. (this is just out of curiosity...) If the S60 is built in Belgium, why is it more expensive to pick up in Belgium than Sweden? (I have family in Belgium)

Thanks for all replies!

#2 ·
Welcome to Swedespeed!

quote:

1. Financing. Are Volvo financing offers (if any) applicable? Alternatively, if I go through my credit union, won't they need a VIN to give me a loan? The reason I ask is that payment is due 30 days before pick-up and I'm not sure I'd have the VIN at that time.
1. From what I know, working with your local dealer, you agree on a price for a custom-made vehicle and put down a deposit. The balance is due when the car receives its vehicle identification number (VIN), usually eight to twelve weeks later. You then finance the deal just as you would if you were picking up the vehicle stateside.

quote:

2. Would I have to pay state sales tax? (CA) If so, when?
2. I am pretty sure you have to pay sales tax since you finance the deal just as you would if you were picking up the vehicle stateside, but I am not exactly sure about this one though.

quote:

3. If the S60 is built in Belgium, why is it more expensive to pick up in Belgium than Sweden? (I have family in Belgium)
3. Included in the Volvo OSD program, Volvo picks you up from the Landvetter Airport or Göteborg Central Station and they drive you to the Delivery Center or to the hotel, depending on your time of arrival. This is something that is part of the OSD package 'deal' in Göteborg, Sweden. Basically, any plans you make outside of this will probably cost you extra. They have a special factory 'Delivery Center' in Göteborg just for this purpose.

I hope this helps a little!

-Drew

[This message has been edited by InDy (edited 02-03-2002).]

#3 ·
Drew,

just to clear a couple of things on your excellent response.

One cannot take advantage of any special financing/leasing and/or cash incentives when placing a TDS order. He/she will have to go through regular financing.

Taxes/tags are paid when the car arrives to the US Retailer that the customer designates for delivery. The only disadvantage of financing a TDS deal is that you will start paying on the loan about a month early, before you even see the car.

Yannis

#4 ·
It appears that many of you have not done this before. My wife and I took advantage of this program and it was great!

Some errors, however. There is NO negotiation of a price with the dealer, unlike the BMW OSD program (at least that is what I was told and did). In fact, that was the beauty of it, for the price was like buying a Saturn -- no way one could get taken for a ride, so to speak.

Given the OSD price which is availalbe on the Volvo website, and the Dealer Invoice price here in the US, it was a no-brainer, as the OSD price for our car and options was LESS than Dealer Invoice -- so we could not have gotten a better deal had we bought it here! In addition, there was the free trip to Sweden and the use of the car for 2 weeks. In fact, there is no destination charge when you do the OSD, so the insurance charge for the 15 days use in Europe was less than the $695 destination charge you have to pay here.

Although many dealers may not like to do it, they are paid buy Volvo, and they really don't lose out that much if the buyer knows exactly what they want, as it takes little time to process the paperwork.

I am settin my sights on the S60R, next!

Hope this has been of help to you.

#5 ·
Yup, I paid CA tax and yup, it's made in Belgium & shipped to Goteborg which is why the S60 TDS order takes 4 weeks longer than the S80's or V70's which are made in Sweden.

You can, of course, pay the extra $$$ and pick up the car in Brussels at the volvo center. It's a nice facility, I dropped off my car there.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone for your great responses! Looks like a trip to my local Volvo dealer will take place this week. T5 Dave just added a new concern, though. The extra 4 weeks for an S60 may put us out of the 4/19 travel deadline. My wife may have to pay her own way! I will find out all details at the dealership.

Thanks again!

#7 ·
quote:

Originally posted by C 70 Convertible OSD:
It appears that many of you have not done this before. Although many dealers may not like to do it, they are paid buy Volvo, and they really don't lose out that much if the buyer knows exactly what they want, as it takes little time to process the paperwork.

A couple of corrections on your post (since we are into corrections, here!
)

I do this for a living (selling cars through the TDS program) and I have also picked Volvos up in Europe 4 times. A Volvo Retailer who does not like to place an order through the TDS department is out of their mind...it is a much ore profitable (and easier) sale than selling a car in stock.

Yannis

#8 ·
quote:

Originally posted by futboldad:
The extra 4 weeks for an S60 may put us out of the 4/19 travel deadline. My wife may have to pay her own way! I will find out all details at the dealership.

Thanks again!
Don't worry; all you have to do is place the order by 4/19/02. You have up to three months (from the day your order is ACCEPTED by VCNA) to travel.

Yannis

#9 ·
quote:

It appears that many of you have not done this before. My wife and I took advantage of this program and it was great!

Given the OSD price which is availalbe on the Volvo website, and the Dealer Invoice price here in the US, it was a no-brainer, as the OSD price for our car and options was LESS than Dealer Invoice -- so we could not have gotten a better deal had we bought it here! In addition, there was the free trip to Sweden and the use of the car for 2 weeks. In fact, there is no destination charge when you do the OSD, so the insurance charge for the 15 days use in Europe was less than the $695 destination charge you have to pay here.

Although many dealers may not like to do it, they are paid buy Volvo, and they really don't lose out that much if the buyer knows exactly what they want, as it takes little time to process the paperwork.

I am settin my sights on the S60R, next!

I too am waiting for S60 R's to appear. Well they be available via OSD this year Q4 or earlier? Am thinking about a T5 on a short term one payment lease if the availability is beyond 16-18 months. Any insightful news of availability schedules will be great. thx

#10 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:

A couple of corrections on your post (since we are into corrections, here!
)

I do this for a living (selling cars through the TDS program) and I have also picked Volvos up in Europe 4 times. A Volvo Retailer who does not like to place an order through the TDS department is out of their mind...it is a much ore profitable (and easier) sale than selling a car in stock.

Yannis

Grecian, my statements were not directed to you as I thought you were a dealer? No?

In any event, my guys said they made mopre on a negotiation, but if the dealer does at least as well, then it is a win win situation.

Am I correct that there is no negotiation?

#11 ·
quote:

Originally posted by VintageArt:
I too am waiting for S60 R's to appear. Well they be available via OSD this year Q4 or earlier?
We are not going to see the S60R this year. Early to mid-2003 as a 2003.5 model, according to my friend at VCC in Sweden. And when they come out, TDS will not pick that model up until (I am hypothesizing here) Fall 2003, due to the extremely low availability of that car.

Yannis

#12 ·
quote:

Grecian, my statements were not directed to you as I thought you were a dealer? No?

Am I correct that there is no negotiation?
Oh, don't worry, I was just "playing" with you!

As far as the latter part of your post, please allow me to write "no comment".

Yannis

#13 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
We are not going to see the S60R this year. Early to mid-2003 as a 2003.5 model, according to my friend at VCC in Sweden. And when they come out, TDS will not pick that model up until (I am hypothesizing here) Fall 2003, due to the extremely low availability of that car.

Yannis

Oh Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Yannis, as to the "no comment" was that in regard to your being a dealer or whether one can actually negotiate the TDS price like BMW?

Pleeeeeeeease do tell!

Thanx!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.