SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after buying my R and completely de-modding my 2.5T and giving it to my sister it now has problems. The transmission fluid is toyota type IV, still red and fluid level checks out fine. Fluid has less than 10,000 miles on it. The car was always maintained well until she got her hands on it.

Now for the issue: when the temperature drops below 60 degrees the transmission won't get into gear for a few minutes on a cold startup, it also grinds slightly at speed.

I'd be willing to bet it's a failing transmission fluid pump, but figured I'd post up here and get some other opinions.

Any idea how much it would cost or how difficult it is to replace the pump on these 5spd automatic transmissions?

Edit: turns out coffee was spilled on the region around the gear shift knob, the coffee sunk down into the electronics and required a thorough cleaning that we did with MAF cleaner. Afterwards it ran perfectly...weird but that was the fix.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
if you want to repair it looks for a breakdown pdf or get a copy of vida/vadis... possible hook it up to a DICE tool and run some diagnostics

there are also some port holes on the transmission case for plugging in pressure meters, maybe this is just for automatics

for the 5spd it could be a master/slave cylinder issue... like the clutch isnt fully disengaging, check the clutch fluid levels

you werent clear about what year and what type of transmission

slave cylinder:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
2.5T's only came with the 5spd automatic transmission in the USA, but yes I should have specified.

I changed it in the original though.

It's frustrating trying to figure an issue out when you're 2 hours away and can't view the car in person.

It can't be a bad transmission, just a pump maybe...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts