SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just upgraded from 17" to 18" wheels off a newer S80. Fitted 235-40R18 on all 4 corners. Now, the rears are fine but the front tyres will rub the inner fender on full lock.

Was thinking about swapping the fronts to 225-40R18 and leaving the rears 235-40R18.

Any chance this will trigger the DSTC? I believe the difference in diameter is about 1.28%.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I understand you are using OEM wheels? If so, they have high offsets. Just a suggestion, a cheaper option to buying new tires may be to at least try hubcentric spacers first to push the wheels out? I used to have 235/40/R18s on my Heico Volutions before and they didn't rub. HTH

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand you are using OEM wheels? If so, they have high offsets. Just a suggestion, a cheaper option to buying new tires may be to at least try hubcentric spacers first to push the wheels out? I used to have 235/40/R18s on my Heico Volutions before and they didn't rub. HTH
Hi, I am using the Sleipner wheels off the newer S60/S80. They are 8 x 18" ET 55. I had to add 15mm spacers at the rear else they would rub the shocks. And yes, they are H&R hubcentrics.

The issue now is some rubbing of the inner fender up front on full turn. No spacers up front though.... Just thought the smaller 225/40 might help.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi, I am using the Sleipner wheels off the newer S60/S80. They are 8 x 18" ET 55. I had to add 15mm spacers at the rear else they would rub the shocks. And yes, they are H&R hubcentrics.

The issue now is some rubbing of the inner fender up front on full turn. No spacers up front though.... Just thought the smaller 225/40 might help.
If I remember correctly, my Heicos were 18X8 ET43 or 45 (can't remember the exact specs) against your ET55. That's still 10mm. Maybe spacers up front could solve the rubbing? ...Just have to make sure they're hubcentric.

Well, 225/40 should help. Was just trying to give you options before you purchase new tires.

Your current wheels/tires setup are a bit close to the inner fender. Spacers or thinner tires should help. :D

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Thanks Kova...

Guess you have tried this "combo" before?

Cheers...
I haven't, I have tried different types of front vs rears but same dimension which is pretty much the same thing as traction is different. However, DSTC will continue to monitor what is happening with all your 4 wheels, center of gravity within 2 axes of horizontal plane and God knows what else and will react only when needed. You shouldn't be worried that DSTC or ABS or any other system will be "confused" with that. How that combination of dimensions will impact general handling of the car is another issue, but to discuss that you should fill in some more details about your suspension setup.. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't, I have tried different types of front vs rears but same dimension which is pretty much the same thing as traction is different. However, DSTC will continue to monitor what is happening with all your 4 wheels, center of gravity within 2 axes of horizontal plane and God knows what else and will react only when needed. You shouldn't be worried that DSTC or ABS or any other system will be "confused" with that. How that combination of dimensions will impact general handling of the car is another issue, but to discuss that you should fill in some more details about your suspension setup.. :)
Hello Kova,

Am running with the stock suspension set up...

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Hello Kova,

Am running with the stock suspension set up...
I would expect no issues running 225/40R18 as front vs 235/40R18 as rear. I advise you to add front strut bar to enhance front grip in curves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts