SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This S40 is going to make me drink..I purchased this S40 2.5 AWD 2 months ago with a broken timing belt. I replaced the head with a rebuilt unit, New timing belt, etc..I used the correct tool to lock the cams and set the timing. I originally had a P0016 and P0017 code. I have now removed and re-installed the timing belt using the correct tools at least 5 times, The P0017 code is gone, but P0016 remains, and I have a lumpy idle now, Car runs fine down the road, but idles poorly, and posts the code on the next restart. I have swapped the cam position sensors between intake and exhaust cam, but problem does not travel with the sensor. This job is relatively simple after you assemble/disassemble so many times. Does anyone out there have a suggestion? Thanks in advance..Rich..PS- I currently have the timing belt off and VVT sprockets loose..Also, I see NO timing marks at all on the pulleys

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I just want to be sure you have the basics correct. Lets review...

You have installed the camshaft locking tool 999 5452 & the crankshaft locking tool 999 5451 ?
With the camshaft pulleys loose you have installed the timing belt?
The timing marks on the camshaft pulleys (which you can't find) are lined up with the marks on the plastic cover?
Thread
showing timing marks on both cam gear & crankshaft.
After all this you have torqued cam gear bolts to 120nm ?

After you have completed all the above post back & we can proceed with further troubleshooting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may have found my own mistake. The timing cover had no marks as usually found on the timing belt cover, BUT, I did notice 2 small notches in the rubber just under the cover. These lined up with the center of the camshafts..After looking real closely at the sprockets, I found a VERY small mark on each sprocket. I was looking for a very visible mark. I guess a Volvo tech would know this. The Volvo repair software had drawings, but the marks were large there..After 5 removal and re-installations( yes, with the correct tools) I am taking a break and mowing the lawn today. I will post tomorrow when finished. This has been a very interesting project to say the least, but in reality, it is not all that difficult, once you know the "fine" details..Thanks, Rich

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Great to hear! A fresh perspective is always helpful. Good call on mowing the grass as well, it often helps to let stuff sit overnight. Somehow you always think of an alternate way of doing things that's better than the original. Can't argue about the Volvo timing marks, not the greatest setup I've seen.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Don't forget prior to installing the belt the VVT units need to be set by rotating forward and then back 1/4 rotation. This is to verify that they are at their reset limit avoiding potential faults.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kyle, now I am a bit confused. The pulleys are loose and the cams are locked.I thought when the belt is installed and tension set, then I double check that all 3 timing marks are lined up and then tighten the VVT pulleys to spec, remove the locking tools and rotate the engine manually 2 revolutions and make sure all timing marks line up. Rich

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
If ur setting the VVT units themselves u need to strictly follow the Volvo procedure in VIDA. I was referring to when you have everything together and would be going a timing belt replacement you want to rotate the assembly forward and then back 1/4 cam rotation.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I have made the decision to sell this 2005 S40 AWD 6 speed. I have taken all the suggestions, and implemented them. I have removed and re-installed everything 6 times. The car runs down the road great, but still has an intermittent idle and reposts the p0016 on the second restart. I had bought this for my daughter and her 3 yr old son because Volvo's are safe. I am not a quitter, but I have had enough. The car has 106k miles and I have all the receipts from the original owner, including a $3400 clutch job just over 1000 miles ago. It is dark blue with a grey interior. I will post pictures when I list it in the classifieds. If you are interested, shoot me a pm here or at [email protected] to the folks who shot me a note on suggestions..Rich

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Nuts, a little too far for me. Perhaps a fellow SS member with VIDA/DICE could come over & give you a hand. It's possible you have a bad VVT solenoid or similar. If you can grab the Volvo error code we can give you the exact troubleshooting procedure. After 6 times we can safely assume the basics are covered. Happen to do a compression or leakage test just for fun?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I first put it back together, it ran perfect, including idling, but I had a p0016 and p0017..Whrn I redid it, it rana nd idled perfect till I took it up the road..Ran fine then, but the idle problem started and I had a p0016..The p0017 was gone..Pulled it apart 3 or 4 more times since then. It is perfectly drivable, but lumpy idle and p0016..Not a compression issue. Rich

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have one more question before I give up. Can I swap out the VVT solenoids between the intake and exhaust? Thanks, Rich

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
When I first put it back together, it ran perfect, including idling, but I had a p0016 and p0017..When I redid it, it ran and idled perfect till I took it up the road..Ran fine then, but the idle problem started and I had a p0016..The p0017 was gone..Pulled it apart 3 or 4 more times since then. It is perfectly drivable, but lumpy idle and p0016..Not a compression issue. Rich
Now things are making more sense. It does sound like one of the VVT units is stuck. ForceFed would be more knowledgeable in this area, I really haven't run into any problems other than sticking solenoids. This is where the factory codes would be extremely helpful. Almost all dealers are doing a free 1 hour "engine light on" diagnosis at the urging of Volvo. Alternatively you could post up for someone with a DICE unit in your area.

I have one more question before I give up. Can I swap out the VVT solenoids between the intake and exhaust? Thanks, Rich
Nope, the part numbers differ. :( Rebuilt units are available from Volvo so you know this is somewhat common. They generally just stick very intermittently though. I wonder if you have an electrical issue in one of the plugs? Need those codes, here are just a few related to cam timing.... Each one of these has a specific troubleshooting procedure that should get to the root of your problem.

ECM-3400 Camshaft position (CMP) sensor, intake. Faulty signal, B5254T3
ECM-340B Camshaft position (CMP) sensor, intake. Signal missing, B5254T3
ECM-340C Camshaft position sensor, intake. Signal too high, B5254T3
ECM-340D Camshaft position sensor, intake. Signal too low, B5254T3
ECM-3410 Camshaft position (CMP) sensor, exhaust. Faulty signal, B5254T3
ECM-341B Camshaft position (CMP) sensor, exhaust. Signal missing, B5254T3
ECM-341C Camshaft position sensor, exhaust. Signal too high, B5254T3
ECM-341D Camshaft position sensor, exhaust. Signal too low, B5254T3
ECM-342B Camshaft position (CMP) sensor. Signal missing, B5254T3

ECM-6110 Camshaft position control, intake. Slow, B5254T3
ECM-611B Camshaft control, intake. Faulty, B5254T3
ECM-612B Camshaft reset valve, intake. Signal missing, B5254T3
ECM-612C Camshaft reset valve, intake. Signal too high, B5254T3
ECM-612D Camshaft reset valve, intake. Signal too low, B5254T3
ECM-6140 Camshaft control, exhaust. Slow, B5254T3
ECM-614B Camshaft control, exhaust. Faulty, B5254T3

ECM-673C Camshaft position, exhaust. High, B5254T3
ECM-673D Camshaft position, exhaust. Low, B5254T3
ECM-674C Camshaft position, intake. High, B5254T3
ECM-674D Camshaft position, intake. Low, B5254T3

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have 2 more questions, while I wait out the hurricane..Does anyone have a copy of the exact VIDA procedure for setting the VVT, and if so, could you email to me? Also, when the head was removed, and I had the crank timing mark lined up with the mark on the oil pump housing, number 1 piston was still several degrees from topping out. Is this normal? Thanks for those who have helped with this problem..Rich

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I have 2 more questions, while I wait out the hurricane..Does anyone have a copy of the exact VIDA procedure for setting the VVT, and if so, could you email to me? Also, when the head was removed, and I had the crank timing mark lined up with the mark on the oil pump housing, number 1 piston was still several degrees from topping out. Is this normal? Thanks for those who have helped with this problem..Rich
This is why you can't trust those marks for setting if you have the cam gears loose. In my original post I mentioned "crankshaft locking tool 999 5451". Did you in fact remove the starter & insert this tool? If not, your cam timing is off those few degrees. VIDA procedure is basically what I outlined in that original post.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used the cam locking tool, but not the crank locking tool. The procedure also states to insure the crank timing mark is still lined up with the mark on the oil pump housing after installing the crank locking tool. All timing marks are lined up...but as I stated, the piston on number 1 is not quite at TDC..Rich

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Cam timing is critical... You are almost surely off a few degrees.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts