SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been interested in the long-term ownership of cars- usually most people post shots of their new car and a quick 5,000mi update and disappear unless it's to complain of a problem or to post pics of new mods. So what's going on?

Model: 2005 S40 T5 AWD, bought it brand new
Miles: 83,500mi
Plans for your Volvo: will drive it into the ground
Reliability: Had to replace the battery early on, but that's it. Very reliable. *knock on wood*
Mods: None
Running costs: It's been reasonable now that I found a good shop- with Volvo, as soon as the warranty expires, run away from the stealer. Well I can't say that as an absolute truth, my dealer in the city I lived in previously was amazing.
Would you do it all over again: Yup, no regrets.
Would you consider another Volvo: Sure- S60, S80, XC60 all look good.

It's been a great car experience aside from the bum service at my local dealer.

The city mpg is lousy- I can get as low as 19mpg if I do all city. But on the highway, it can crush the miles and give me 30mpg without breaking a sweat. I average about 20mpg.

I've been involved in two fender-benders. This car is a tank. S40 vs. LX450- I got swiped by the SUV. I had one minor scratch on the wheel arch and the foldable door mirror was pushed back (I just pushed it back into place), the LX450 had all these scratches and dents in its side.

The second accident was when I rear-ended by an old Honda- the Honda's front end was destroyed- the bumper was totally detached, the front crumpled a bit, and the hood was crumpled at the front. It did not look good. When I saw that my heart sank thinking by car would look the same. My car? Nothing- I had to look until I found a 2in, slightly deep scratch in the bumper. EMS and police were shocked that this was the only damage sustained as well. I still don't get it how the S40 walked away with no real damage.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Good thread, I thought there was a similar one a while back. Anyway, I'll play!

2005 V50 T5 AWD - bought in 2008 with 26K.
Currently sits at 96K.
Plans - will sell and go back to an Audi when I can afford to (only because I love their styling and miss my A4)
Mods - purely aesthetic - hids/18"wheels/mesh grille/rear spoiler/halo mod/etc.
Reliability - it has been great! I've only had to replace the battery, both front wheel bearings, and fix a leaking CV boot. Oh, and PCV (under warranty) and a few software updates (under warranty). TCV and FPS went around 85K, but I replaced myself, so that wasn't too bad.
Costs - besides the one bearing, CV boot fix, and battery, all was under my CPO warranty, so I can't complain!
Do it again? - If I had more time when buying, I would have preferred an A4 avant. But, I suppose I'd buy it again.
Consider another Volvo? Not too sure. Likely not.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bought my 05 AWD GT new 07/2005 Currently at 134,000 miles. Have been happy with the car and no regrets. My local Volvo dealer has been great, no complaints. Most of the maintenance I do myself. No plans to sell it any time soon. Car is completely stock.
As far as problems other than recalls and normal maintenance. Off the top of my head, probably forgetting something.
1. Installed rear adjustable camber arms. Car was eating the inside of rear tires before installed. Well worth the money.
2. Trunk failed to open 2x times. 1st time was repaired under warranty, second time I had to pay. Trunk on the car is used as much as drivers door.
3. Brake master CYL. failed at 107K. I could be to blame for this , fuid had only been changed once at that time.
4. Replaced cracked coolant overflow tank.
Gas mileage is around 24mpg over all. Can get 30mpg on long highway trips. Car has been quiet at rattle free. Leather driver seat doesn't look very good. Only issue I have is the low beams no longer work anywhere as good as they did 7 years ago. On 3rd battery. Not much else to add. Would consider a new s60 to replace.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Good thread, I thought there was a similar one a while back. Anyway, I'll play!
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?164446-Lasting-ownership/page3
:D

Model: 2005 S40 T5 FWD, bought it brand new
Miles: 49,500mi - need to plan more car travel trips :cool:
Plans for your Volvo: will drive it for as long as it stays in good condition but will possibly change it before things go down hill. Plus, there is so little time in life I'd like the pleasure of driving something else before too long.
Reliability: Had a few issues. Nothing major but yet very expensive at the dealership, front axles, Hub with cross threaded lugs, 2 recalls for free, 1 PCV under warranty, change battery, rear chocks and front trust shot, no good roads around here).
Mods: most listed below except for brake stuff.
Running costs: Expensive! repairs service done at dealership. Looking for a good alternate mechanic comfortable enough to work on it. Dealer experience is mix. Nice crew but not always attentive to concerns. A little too detached but overall clean work always. Most problematic, very expensive imo!
Would you do it all over again: Yes, within the same conditions of the time, even though I am quite disappointed of the wheel/suspension components. Engine as been very good so far. Except for a flat and having forgot my keys in the car, I've never got stranded anywhere so far and I like that :thumbup:
Would you consider another Volvo: I would if their were something appealing to me. Like the C30 (but too old/similar interior to the S40 now not to mentioned no AWD which I would like to get for my wife next) and V40 which isn't sold in the US. S60 is okay but dislike head lights very much and we have no need for a larger car so why would we get one. Considering the C70 but I'm quite concerned of expenses with it. So it is very uncertain we are going to get an other Volvo for our next car purchase which is likely to happen this spring. Also the S40 has never felt a smooth car to drive, engine has always been rough and quirky on acceleration. I would likely consider that a lot more in my next car.

Yes lousy mpg but I'm okay to live with it since I personally get something back from driving the car. It is not a point A to point B kind of car even though that's what I end up doing most.

I'm still find the S40 series among the best overall looking cars out there and that makes me feel good though I also can't deny it is starting to show it's styling age unlike the C30 for now...

To repeat what someone had sort of said before This car is a love/hate relationship. It can be quirky and frustrating many times but I would protect it like it was my child :p

·
Registered
128 Posts
Model: 2004.5 S40T5 FWD
Miles: Bought it used in 07 w/19k Now? 237k
Plans for your Volvo: More than likely, I'll get rid of it by 250k while it's still ok. Never kept a car this long LOL.
Reliability: This is my first Volvo and quite frankly, I'm shocked...it's been dead reliable...outside of regular wear and tear parts, nothing too unusual or prohibitively expensive has happened yet but I'm meticulous with maintenance. Never left me stranded anywhere. If I had to identify the biggest issue, it would have to be the wheel hubs. Only 1 corner has the wheel hub it left the factory with and one corner had it replaced twice. Interior leather is wearing well, but the center console cover and the driver's armrest cracked...got the armrest reupholsterd for 75 bucks at a local upholstery shop and I bought a used door panel on ebay and took care of that. Headliner is starting to come down a bit in the corners now though.
Mods: Just minor cosmetic stuff....swapped out the dark wood for the golden oak trim from a later year and upgraded from original 16" caligo rims to 17" Serapis when I bent a rim on NJ and NYC's awful potholes. Oh yeah, and Bilstein HD's up front when I replaced the front stuts.
Running Costs: Average...I do oil changes every 5k and all maintenance at the dealership. My dealer is great though...they allow me to bring my own parts and just charge labor to install and I get coupons before every service. Usually stick to Volvo parts I buy online at a great savings which helps keep costs down a lot. Only parts that aren't Volvo is the battery, a/c compressor and front axle. I still average 26 mixed and I can get 30+ highway at 70-75 using cruise control.
Would I do it all over again: Absolutely....love, love, love my S40....just the right size for me. I'd buy a new V40 or an S40 off of the new V40 in a minute if it was offered here.
Would you consider another Volvo: Was trying to hold out for a new V40/S40, but it's not looking like we'll get em so an S60 is at the top of my list along with a few others.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Model: 2006 V50 T5 AWD, bought it brand new
Miles: 156,000mi
Plans for your Volvo: will drive it into the ground, then pick it up and drive it into the ground again
Reliability: no complaints. a few things under warranty (pvc, steering wheel issue) and def some wear items post warranty (rotors, brakes, suspension, wheel bearings x 3, MAF)
Mods: plenty both cosmetic & powahhhh.
Running costs: do as much as i can myself. sometimes time prevents that and am lucky to have decent dealership (doylestown) close to my office and decent indie (Kingwood Foreign Auto) near my house.
Would you do it all over again: Yup, no regrets.
Would you consider another Volvo: v70r

·
Registered
25 Posts
Model: 2005 S40 T5 FWD Manual, bought with 42k miles
Miles: 171,500 mi
Plans for your Volvo: Retired from wife daily driver duty / my dd with mods
Reliability: Died on road twice - once from recalled fuel pump control module, once from poorly placed fuse panel coming loose in passenger footwell.
Mods: Koni FSD shocks, IPD swaybar links (front), Elevate trans mount, 225/45R17's on stock rims
Running costs: About $1k per year averaged over almost 6 years. More expensive than some, better than others. If you just walk in to the dealer, you will be raped.
Would you do it all over again: Yes, but I do wish that it was more BMW / MB / Audi-like. In some ways it is just a really expensive Focus.
Would you consider another Volvo: Maybe, but not crazy about the Chinese ownership and parts. Also, would only buy a manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Model: 2005 V50 T5 AWD Manual
Miles: 149,219
Plans for your Volvo: Daily driver, currently less than 100 miles per week.
Reliability: A few major repairs within 50k miles, including new front axle, but smooth sailing for the last 100k. Recently had the parking brake cable stick, my Indy was able to swap to the new cable without changing the handle assembly or any major disassembly. I do not know how he made a $1000 dealer repair where they wanted to drop the drivetrain into a $125 repair including parts.
Running costs: About $1.5k per year.
Would you do it all over again: Yes.
Would you consider another Volvo: Yes, but only for another proper small wagon. The xc70 is too large and SUV like, and the xc40 is a hatchback. Already pricing the A4 allroad, which they can/will order with their 6spd manual and 3.0 tdi.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I do not know how he made a $1000 dealer repair where they wanted to drop the drivetrain into a $125 repair including parts.
I found a typo which may answer your mystery. Dealer may be pronounced with a "d" but it's spelled: stealer.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Good work on this thread. Coming from a world of blown engines and $8000 timing overhauls at 100,000 miles, this makes me feel really good about my purchase :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Model: 2005 S40 2.4i, Geartronic, Passion Red. Bought it in great condition @ 69K.
Miles: ~109,150 miles.
Plans for your Volvo: Another 100K.
Reliability: Replaced Battery almost immediately when I bought it @69K miles. Had front wheel hubs replaced and timing belt. Warranty work included PCV issue and PEM module relocation. Replaced myself: Aux Belts, FPS sensor, Rear sway bar, Engine Torque Mount (it was falling apart when I took it out), Upper Engine Mount (rubber was also falling apart). Replaced front rotors and pads (typical).
Mods: ELEVATE: Rear Sway Bar, Grille, Engine Torque Mount. More to come...
Running costs: Nothing that is too repetitive. Preventative Maintenance.
Would you do it all over again: Yep.
Would you consider another Volvo: S60R or possibly a V40.
Comments: 1) Finding a reliable & HONEST shop and 2) Learning your car, is key to a performing car like this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good work on this thread. Coming from a world of blown engines and $8000 timing overhauls at 100,000 miles, this makes me feel really good about my purchase :)
Yes, if I had gone by some stuff I've read, I would never have bought the car. But either I have been extremely lucky or they are built fairly well. No problems with wheel bearings, electrical (for the most part), turbos, etc. The only thing that worries me for the future is for control modules and software for HVAC, windows, locks, etc.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Model 2007 V50 AWD M66 - Keyless , Leather , Premium Sound . Climate Package .
Miles ~ 66,500
Reliability - V. Good have had a few Issues , ( ECU - TCV , Software Issues ) Early #68 Vin which had those Issues .
1 Wheel Bearing Which I believe Tow Truck Driver did , when Towed in for Bad - E-Brake Cables - ( Locked On )
I found the AOC to be a little low on Oil and It smelled - Bad swampy . ( Did My Own Fluid Changes )
Running Cost Brakes have been an Issue and Cost , but I'm a little Hard on those - I also had a Bad set of Red stuff - Pads which made Brake Problems .
Mod Cost - took My time 5 yrs. so only $800.00 a yr.
What would I do Over - Gotten a Car Cover early on . ( Bird Poop ) etc. & Sunroof maintenance

Swede Speed
- saved Me - these New Cars today are Complicated and It takes more then ( 1 Line of Information to get a Great Snap Shot of a Solution . )

Vibration at Speed or Power Application : Alignment and All LCA Bushings got most of It . Some of It was Tires .
Battery Replaced Normal Time Line.
SunRoof Leak : Reading Other Car Manufactures having Issues from time to time _ I'm chalking it up to Manufacturing Communications being Off during the Ford Sale -Years .
Fixed it all by Myself and Cost Me only Time . ( Volvo has Offered Others to Help on some Cost )

·
Registered
957 Posts
WOW.... some of you guys actually caught up to me in mileage and a couple have even passed me!
2006 S40 T5 FWD picked up brand new 6-28-2005
123,000 miles to date.
Plan to keep it a couple more years as long as it stays reliable.
Do most repair work myself. Only been back to dealer 3 times, first was for a recall for SSS, and a gasoline leak, and oil/filter change, all warranty except for labor on oil/filter change. Second was warranty again when vacuum pump died @ 48,500 miles. Car has been suprisingly reliable since then. Had dealer replace timing belt a couple months ago compliments of a 15% off coupon.
Car still has factory brake pads & rotors, factory battery, hoses, lights, etc. Car uses NO oil in 5000 mile service intervals. Gets 25 MPG city & 30-32 highway. Car is pure stock, no mods at all.
Not regretting getting the S40 but it will be my last Volvo.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Model: 2007 S40 T5, bought it brand new
Miles: 73,500mi
Plans for your Volvo: will probably drive it into the ground...or 150K+
Reliability: Battery replaced under warranty, front wheel bearing around 60K miles, nothing else other than typical breaks etc.
Mods: None
Running costs: Other than wheel bearing and one set of tires that didnt' wear great nothing really?
Would you do it all over again: Yep
Would you consider another Volvo: Yep, have a 09 C30

·
Registered
116 Posts
Model 2006 V50 T5 AT
Miles 106ishK
Long term plansDrive it 'till she dies
Reliability Nothing major other than normal wear and tear replacements, had a front axle and timing belt replaced at about 103K.
Mods K&N intake, Eibach Sport Springs, adjustable rear camber arms, IPD rear sway bar,Heico sport exhaust, 18" Heico Volution wheels, SS brake lines
Running costs GTO and any routine maintenance that I try to do myself to save $$. Seems to go through brake pads a little quicker than my previous cars.
Would you do it again In a heartbeat. I absolutely love this wagon
would you buy another Volvo Only if it was another wagon!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Model 2005 V50 T5 AT Dyn Trim / Sport
Miles 103K
Long term plans Keep it as long as it's reliable
Reliability PCV, water pump early on (or dealership ripoff), starter / control unit (hugely expensive), rear brake pads
Mods K&N intake
Running costs Still have the original front brake pads, which is amazing. Rears still in good shape. Otherwise just expensive oil changes.
Would you do it again Probably. I got a great deal b/c my car was in an auto show and then the dealer show room throughout the whole model year, then they needed to sell it. I still miss having a manual transmission, but the dynamic trim makes my car better looking than just about any other wagon.
Would you buy another Volvo Only if we get another V50. The V60 is a maybe, but still seems too large.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Model: 2004 S40 T5 SE bought it at 15 months old with 9,500 miles
Miles: 91,000mi
Plans for your Volvo: One of us will die first, it or me.
Reliability: Rear wheel bearing, fuel pressure regulator, washer pump, boot lid loom, battery, oil filter housing all replaced. Never broken down.
Mods: Jetex S/S exhaust, OEM strut brace, OEM Body Kit. Internal facelifting with more modern OEM parts.
Running costs: Fuel-wise a bit brutal with the cost of petrol in the UK but this is offset by the endless reliability of the car. Servicing bills have always been low.
Would you do it all over again: Absolutely. Best car I have owned.
Would you consider another Volvo: Yes, we already have a V50 as well but we'd like an XC60

·
Registered
32 Posts
Model: 04.05 S40 T5 AWD GT, bought used from original dealer who leased with 22k Mi 9/2006
Miles: 97,000mi
Plans for your Volvo: Run it to the ground...
Reliability: Few repairs and issues along the way... SSS trouble, fuel pump recall, PCV recall and as a result of my hard driving:
replaced front end links 2x (1x due to slide in snow and curb impact), replaced upper and lower (rear) engine mount, replaced front and back rotors 1x each throughout (plus 2 sets of pads on all 4 corners), replaced wheel bearings on 2/4 axles over the last 3 years, timing belt replaced @ 90k
Accident Repairs: Massholes are the worst drivers! I've been hit on 4 separate occasions (4 0% fault determinations, one of which was when the car was parked!) which resulted in: replaced front bumper (2x), front right headlight assmbly, front right fog assembly, headlight washer pump, replaced rear bumper (2x), replaced driver door (inner steel support bar was bent), pulled dents from driver-side rear qrtr panel
yeah... just a few repairs/replacements

Mods: bilstein HD shocks (front) still stock rear shock, eibach pro springs, IPD rear sway bar, mesh grille (Eurosport), HIDs, tinted tail lights (full covered in 20% tint), tinted windows (20% all 4 windows & rear), 18" IPD 'VMS' wheels w/ Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS tires (225/40/18)
Mods in hand (waiting for warmer weather to install): IPD HD TCV, Injen intake
Mods upcoming (when I have the money): DP & Exhaust, Bell interocoler, zenon fogs
Running costs: I drive hard and live in the northeast (sh*t roads)... fuel economy is a bit rough, mainly city driving and I hover around 19/20mpg, heavy potholes and road imperfections has probably helped contribute to how many drivetrain repairs I've had, beyond major services and collision repair as noted above car has been pretty nicely reliable in snow, sleet, flooding rain, mountains, desert you name it, I've driven it
Would you do it all over again: Yes. Would go for a silver/grey exterior... black shows dirt way too much for my OCD (and a darker interior... tan shows too much dirt/salt in floor)
Would you consider another Volvo: Possibly, not a fan of new Volvo ownership... want to see what QC looks like in a few years on models released since company changed hands...

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Model: 2005 S40 T5 AWD, bought it used at about 120,000km private sale from a guy who had the Volvo Extended warranty and did all the maintenance with all records at the dealer.
Miles: 265,000km currently
Plans for your Volvo: will drive it into the ground, drive it for work, pass it down to wife. I drive over 50,000km a year, and this car is running very well.
Reliability: Has been okay, the passenger side window motor has failed, going to repair in the summer, wheel hub worn, replaced timing belt,
Mods: in sig
Running costs: The major cost of this car, premium (91) fuel. I get 570km to 670km before I really need to fill up the tank. The AWD tank is only 57L so it's understandable. I drive it for work so I can believe it.
Would you do it all over again: Yes, but with the sport package trim
Would you consider another Volvo: V40 looks really good, S60R is a great looking car that I'd drive if I won or came into a lot of money. The XC60 will always be in my top choices for a family crossover. Has to be an R or R-design at the minimum.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts