SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read through the sss forum, and that is somewhat symptomatic of my problems, but my issues are a bit more severe. My car had no problems prior to 30,000 miles...<p>1.) In early May, while visiting La Quinta, CA which was experiencing 100 degrees, my car started shuddering, making horrible noises (sounded like a squeal) and the check engine light came on when I started it. I drove it to the the location I was staying, with the noise persisting, but had it towed to dealership the next day, because it was 30+ miles away and I did not want to take a chance. After having it for two, days the service dept. realized a part was needed that was not in stock, so I had to extend my vaction for two days, fly husband home, etc... The summary was that the breather box was replaced and the part they needed was a hose of some sort.<p>2.) Memorial Day weekend in Bakersfield, CA - once again approximately 100 degrees. I started my car, reversed several feet and the engine lost power. I attempted frantically to start 15-20 more times (I am blocking traffic in a parking lot) and all warning lights went on and there was still no power. A nice person assisted me in pushing car out of traffic... Finally am able to start car with absolutely no problems. <p>3.) First week in June. Monterey, CA - Approximately 80 degrees. Husband calls me from side of the road while waiting for tow truck. The car completely lost power while he was driving (this is my worst nightmare!) and he was unable to restart. Upon arrival at dealership, the car started with no problems. They looked it over and could find no problem, except maybe bad gas. They recommended using High Octane Chevron. I alway use high octane, just not alway Chevron brand. <p>4.) Today - approximately 70 degrees. Started my day with call to set up service appt. because I got recall notice in the mail for PA12 campaign. At lunch while on an errand, I started car and there were tremendous vibrations. I turned off and restarted and there were still vibrations. Next restart, all of the warning lights came on and car dies. It also has reduced engine power warning. I call service dept. which is 1/2 a mile away for recommendation. I can either drive it over a call Volvo On Call for tow. Like a fool, I figure the 1/2 mile should not be a problem. Ha! At exit to shopping center, the car dies. The loop back into the shopping is a painful process with non-starts, starts with reduced power that allow me to go a few feet, and then finally enough power to safely get into parking lot and call for tow. After parking, car is now able to start immediately, however there is a check engine light on... It is now at dealership waiting for service.<p>Has anyone else experienced these sorts of problems? I love my car but am getting very concerned about the reliability. I have a 440 mile drip planned for next weekend, and a 800 mile trip planned for the weekend after that and I do not want to get stranded.<p>Thanks for any thoughts!<br>

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: S40 T5 with 30k miles - 3rd tow in two months (geoggirl)

Do you remember the exact message that read "reduced engine power"?<p>These problems all certainly sound related, and probably there is a simple cure. I'm a bit surprised the dealer isn't doing more, frankly. Do you have any other options?<p>Tom.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that was the exact message that came up. It appeared in the info area that usually has the tracking on mpg, mph, etc.<p>This will be the second visit for the problem at the local dealership. Breather box and hose replacement were done at Palm Springs dealership while I was on vacation.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: (geoggirl)

Well, there's a good chance it logged an error. With that info, the dealer will have something to go on. It sounds to me like a sensor, perhaps the ones related to the air intake since that's where you had an issue earlier. Let us know what they say.<p>Tom.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Re: (tmtalpey)

lemon law, dealer has three chances to fix, and then a final chance, make sure the this is the last time, so don't delay get the lemon law fix in and if the car dies again you call Volvo and say hey come pick up your car..

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: (Oldman)

This doesn't sound like a lemon at all. In addition to being a 2yo car with 30k miles, it's rather obviously a single problem that the dealer hasn't even attempted to fix yet, though one could fault them (and not the car) for sending it away as no problem found...<p>It could be as simple as a loose wire due to the earlier airbox replacement. I'm sure they'll spot something due to the message log.<p>Tom.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
When i picked up my car in january had the same problems. although i live in GA it certainley wasnt 1000 degrees out. I thought that i had gotten a bad Evolve/Powerchip "burn". Whatever happend it finally resulted in an unfixable ECU and the car in limp home mode. Got a new ECU. I suggest you make the dealer look into this more or you may wind up stranded. By the way I rechipped the car afterthe new ECU and no problems.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Oldman</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lemon law, dealer has three chances to fix, and then a final chance, make sure the this is the last time, so don't delay get the lemon law fix in and if the car dies again you call Volvo and say hey come pick up your car..</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Be careful giving advice based on your state to people from a different one... The California Lemon Law is applicable only within the first 18k miles or 18 months.<p>UKMatt

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The service department called and they will be replacing the fuel pump and doing the service needed by the recall. My fingers are crossed!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Re: S40 T5 with 30k miles - 3rd tow in two months (geoggirl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>geoggirl</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I love my car but am getting very concerned about the reliability. I have a 440 mile drip planned for next weekend, and a 800 mile trip planned for the weekend after that and I do not want to get stranded.<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Good Luck with your repairs. I've owned nothing but Hondas up until now, so I've never really experienced dealer visits until I got my S40. In my experience, unless the problem is blatantly obvious it won't get fixed. At least not on the first visit. I bet I'd have better luck having a bunch of monkeys look at my car. One of my bigest pet peeves are software updates. With a car like this, updates are inevitable. Yet when I've asked my dealer for uptades for my Radio locking up issue, I've been met with blank stares. I guess it's partially Volvo's fault too. It seems there's a lack of training, and equipment on Volvo's part. There's no reason a tech shouldn't be able to hook a VADIS (or whatever it's called now) to my car and have the computer tell them exactly what updates are necessary. Well enough of my little rant. Hope your car gets fixed.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: S40 T5 with 30k miles - 3rd tow in two months (lrosales)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>lrosales</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> There's no reason a tech shouldn't be able to hook a VADIS (or whatever it's called now) to my car and have the computer tell them exactly what updates are necessary.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>VIDA (the VADIS replacement) does that. Using that is another training issue though.<p>Plus, it's a policy thing. Many owners don't want to update things that aren't broken. I certainly feel that way.<p>Tom.

·
Registered
77 Posts
<A HREF="http://www.californialemonlawattorneys.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.californialemonlawattorneys.com</A><p>I have one more key computer error to go before mine gets claimed. Is it wrong to be so confident that it is just a matter of time? OR is it just a shame that this car has instilled that confidence?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Re: (tmtalpey)

lemon law is for the SAME problem. It is as simple as that, if the dealer can't fix it after 3 times they get one more chance or they buy you a new car. It would be foolish not to file this car as a lemon.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Oldman</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lemon law is for the SAME problem. It is as simple as that, if the dealer can't fix it after 3 times they get one more chance or they buy you a new car. It would be foolish not to file this car as a lemon.</TD></TR></TABLE><p><A HREF="http://ag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon.htm" TARGET="_blank">Lemon law in California</A> is the same problem occurring within 18 months or 18 thousand miles. It appears the OP is in California.<p>The Song-Beverley act still covers the vehicle for the duration of the warranty but it's not simply 3 strikes and you're out - the manufacturer can go to arbitration and demonstrate that they should be given more time to fix the problem.<p>UKMatt

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Re: (ukmatt)

thanks, and so it would be smart to start the lemon process now instead of giving the dealer any more slack.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Oldman</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks, and so it would be smart to start the lemon process now instead of giving the dealer any more slack.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>My point all along was that the OP can't 'start the lemon process' as he/she has exceeded both the duration and mileage limitations of California's Lemon Law... Based on the (admittedly few) people I know who've faced similar problems (not with Volvo), arbitration after the Lemon Law expiry doesn't not always end favorably.<p>UKMatt

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Re: (KMischief)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>KMischief</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><A HREF="http://www.californialemonlawattorneys.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.californialemonlawattorneys.com</A><p>I have one more key computer error to go before mine gets claimed. Is it wrong to be so confident that it is just a matter of time? OR is it just a shame that this car has instilled that confidence? </TD></TR></TABLE><p>By the way - I just read the information at the link you posted... they directly contradict the State of California Office of the Attorney General. I wonder who's really right?<p>UKMatt

·
Registered
1,752 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Oldman</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got it, sucks that the car craters after 30,000 miles your screwed. I'll look up Texas's law later.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I actually was looking at this recently for completely unrelated reasons, so I had the <A HREF="http://www.dot.state.tx.us/mvd/lemon/statute.htm" TARGET="_blank">link</A> right at hand. For completeness, I'll post the entire set of rules for duration and number of repair attempts:<p>§ 2301.605. Rebuttable Presumption—Reasonable Number of Attempts<p>(a) A rebuttable presumption that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to an applicable express warranty is established if:<p>(1) the same nonconformity continues to exist after being subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer, converter, or distributor or an authorized agent or franchised dealer of a manufacturer, converter, or distributor and:<p>(A) two of the repair attempts were made in the 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first, following the date of original delivery to the owner; and<p>(B) the other two repair attempts were made in the 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first, immediately following the date of the second repair attempt;<p>(2) the same nonconformity creates a serious safety hazard and continues to exist after causing the vehicle to have been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer, converter, or distributor or an authorized agent or franchised dealer of a manufacturer, converter, or distributor and:<p>(A) at least one attempt to repair the nonconformity was made in the 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first, following the date of original delivery to the owner; and<p>(B) at least one other attempt to repair the nonconformity was made in the 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first, immediately following the date of the first repair attempt; or<p>(3) a nonconformity still exists that substantially impairs the vehicle's use or market value and:<p>(A) the vehicle is out of service for repair for a cumulative total of 30 or more days in the 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever occurs first, following the date of original delivery to the owner; and<p>(B) at least two repair attempts were made in the 12 months or 12,000 miles following the date of original delivery to an owner.<p>(b) A period or a number of days or miles described by Subsection (a) is extended for any period that repair services are not available to the owner because of:<p>(1) a war, invasion, or strike; or<p>(2) a fire, flood, or other natural disaster.<p>(c) The 30 days described by Subsection (a)(3)(A) do not include any period during which the manufacturer or distributor lends the owner a comparable motor vehicle while the owner's vehicle is being repaired by a franchised dealer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow...Lots of Lemon Law info. Well the latest is that there is a national back order on fuel pumps (of course) so they have the car over the weekend and I will hopefully be able to claim on Monday. The recall work was actually already done at Palm Springs Volvo at the beginning of May, which I was not aware of.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts