SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am looking to buy an S40 T5 facelift. I live in Argentina, and they are very VERY rare over here.
Facelift manuals were only sold from 2008-2010, and there are about 20/30 of them in the whole country.

At the time, there are none listed for sale (only with auto trans, but I want a manual only).
One of my best friends has a 2009 manual T5 he uses as beater with around 100.000 kilometers (60.000 miles).

He let me try it several times and I love how it drives. It has every option that was available when it was new and it is dark grey, the color I like the most for this car.
He’s had it for 2 years now, he always did maintenance at a Volvo dealership and always used original parts, and the previous owner was an old man that didn’t really use it very much.

However, he doesn’t really mind taking care of the car: he drives really really hard, always does burnouts, hardly ever washes it, and the interior is pretty worn.

Nevertheless, he is planing to sell it cheap when it is about 120.000-130.000 kilometers (75.000-80.000 miles), so I was thinking:

Would it be smart buying his car cheap even though it was abused and has high mileage?
What are the risks of buying that car? (Keep in mind it has always been serviced at official Volvo dealer, always did maintenance and oil changes on time, you name it, but it is driven hard everyday)
Or should I wait until another manual with lower mileage and better looked after is listed for sale?
This would be my first car, I am 17

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have 196000 miles on my V50 T5 manual (over 300000 kilometers). They can definitely last a long time when taken care of.

Something to think about at that mileage is the timing belt and water pump service at 100000 miles/160000 kilometers, kind of an expensive one but good for another 100000 miles when you do it.

At that mileage, it's worth looking at the PCV too, these cars will start leaking oil from everywhere if that's neglected.

I say go for it, keeping those and other maintenance items in mind. If you plan for them and find a reputable mechanic to do them, it'll last a long time :)

Reactions: az2020

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
Would this be your daily or a weekend fun car? If it's just for fun I'd buy it in a heartbeat. You can always upgrade if a better one becomes available. If it's a daily.... well it's been run hard so that will catch up with it someday sooner than later. The reason Toyotas last forever is they don't inspire performance and boring people drive them. A hopped up S40 doesn't live that life =-D

Reactions: az2020 and BKXC90

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would this be your daily or a weekend fun car? If it's just for fun I'd buy it in a heartbeat. You can always upgrade if a better one becomes available. If it's a daily.... well it's been run hard so that will catch up with it someday sooner than later. The reason Toyotas last forever is they don't inspire performance and boring people drive them. A hopped up S40 doesn't live that life =-D
Thanks for answering, this would be my daily. I plan on doing ~100 kilometers (60 miles) going to college everyday starting next year. What are the risks I take by buying my friend's car for cheap? I mean, what are the things that could go wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
Thanks for answering, this would be my daily. I plan on doing ~100 kilometers (60 miles) going to college everyday starting next year. What are the risks I take by buying my friend's car for cheap? I mean, what are the things that could go wrong?
With any T5 there are generally two concerns. The timing belt and the PCV. Both are preventable. The timing belt should be done based on either time or miles. you an look up the maintenance interval in the online owners manual. These are interference motors, so a broken belt is a bad day for the engine. The PCV system is pretty cool and better than many other cars for environmental concerns, but when they fail, they can blow out the seals in the motor if you don't notice it. When they do fail, it makes a whistle noise, you can find examples on youtube. I bought a new PCV system from Volvo and plan to do it on my T5 as preventative maintenance since the car is 15 years old and it's not failed yet. IDK if you guys have safety inspection there, but it never hurts to pay a good Volvo mechanic to look over the car and tell you what it needs. The bill might be huge and you might simply decide some things aren't important or you can tackle them yourself, but it's good information worth the cost.

Reactions: az2020
1 - 5 of 5 Posts