SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After doing a lot of reading, obsessing and a bit of gentle test driving, I'm fairly certain my '06 S40 T5 AWD has a leaking slave cylinder. This seems to be a fairly common problem with the M66 transmission, as there are a ton of threads talking about it on here.

The first hint was during my pre-purchase inspection: "transmission plug has oil sweating". Nobody flagged this an indicative of a slave cylinder failure (the inspector might not have even known where the cylinder is located) but doesn't that makes sense? It would leak into the bell housing, and end up by the transmission drain plug, no? It wasn't repaired, and all issues flagged in the report were conditions of sale, so I will be sticking the dealership with the bill for this..

Next was the clutch pedal not springing back up. It only did this a couple of times, until I pumped it enough that the system had (some) pressure. When this happened, I could barely put the shifter into any gear, especially reverse.

The clutch just doesn't engage/disengage properly, it's as if I'm only pushing the pedal in halfway - this causes a bit of grinding between gears, and it's better when I drive it very carefully and watch my revs during shifting. Downshifting is brutal, I won't even do it until I get this repaired.

Does this make sense, or is there another issue that could cause these problems?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Yes, you have problem with the clutch hydraulics. Although it's possible a master could be to blame the slave is way more common. If the leak out of the bell housing is brake fluid you have your answer. A bleed with fresh fluid might buy you some time....

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Doesn't the clutch system share a master cylinder with the brake system? And if so, wouldn't I be experiencing braking problems as well?

I should note that I haven't seen any (noticeable) leakage or drop in reservoir level - but my driveway is sloped, so a very slow leak could just be pooling in my bellhousing. If the cylinder is my problem, it hasn't failed catastrophically at this point, but I'm confident it isn't actuating fully.

I'm going to get it into a good Volvo shop asap (not a stealership) and do my best to stick my used car dealership with the bill - this "sweating" was flagged in a pre-purchase inspection that defined conditions of sale, and I bet their non-M66-savvy tech just wiped it off. In his defense, most cars have slave cylinders on the outside, and a bit of oil on the bottom of an engine or tranny isn't always cause for alarm.

I will update this thread once I have more answers...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure what you mean by "these cars don't leak" - M66 transmissions are known (on this forum anyway) for having slave cylinder issues. And when the slave cylinder goes, it leaks brake fluid into the bellhousing and out via a hole at the bottom. (http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?82075-Looks-Like-Another-Bad-Slave-Cylinder-After-All...)

What is a PVC update? Are you talking about a PCV valve? The answer is I don't know, but I also don't know what that would have to do with clutch actuation, can you please elaborate?

And I don't know for sure if it's brake fluid. I will go take a look myself, but I won't be able to confirm the fluid type.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Doesn't the clutch system share a master cylinder with the brake system? And if so, wouldn't I be experiencing braking problems as well?
Just for general knowledge... The clutch & brakes share the same reservoir but the brake & clutch master cylinders are two separate items. A hose runs from the brake reservoir to feed the clutch master.

PCV is another common issue. It can pressurize your crankcase if ignored too long & force oil past the seals. Nothing to do with your clutch. It's most likely already been replaced on your car.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm good to know. I had assumed they shared a master cylinder because I'm having trouble sourcing a clutch master cylinder on the web. I'll find out in a couple of days once I get it to a shop, but for now my money is still on the slave cylinder. After this repair I'll be a (mostly) DIY guy, but considering I had this problem after <24hrs of owning the car, I don't feel I should pay for something the dealership agreed to fix as a condition of sale.

I think I remember seeing something about a PCV valve replacement on the service records.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Hmm good to know. I had assumed they shared a master cylinder because I'm having trouble sourcing a clutch master cylinder on the web. I'll find out in a couple of days once I get it to a shop, but for now my money is still on the slave cylinder. After this repair I'll be a (mostly) DIY guy, but considering I had this problem after <24hrs of owning the car, I don't feel I should pay for something the dealership agreed to fix as a condition of sale.

I think I remember seeing something about a PCV valve replacement on the service records.
The Tech - should Know what Brake Fluid Smells like . As Term of Sale - I take it You already Noted it , and Being a DIY Guy - You should Know what it smells like .
I Mentioned all the other to Cover all the Bases . The PVC Item is more like a Small Vortex manifold , but it also - Holds Your Oil Canister .
A Quick Check , If You have the older style crinkle type Hose running up and into the Spark Plug Cover or a Soft smooth Hose - which would be the New Version .
A Few ( Not so Lucky Owners ) missed that and Blew out the - Rear Oil Seal . Just want a New Owner to be able to have some : Catch Up ,Catch Up - on
His Fries and NOT GET FRIED - in the Process of Buying a Used Volvo .

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Tech - should Know what Brake Fluid Smells like . As Term of Sale - I take it You already Noted it , and Being a DIY Guy - You should Know what it smells like .
I Mentioned all the other to Cover all the Bases . The PVC Item is more like a Small Vortex manifold , but it also - Holds Your Oil Canister .
A Quick Check , If You have the older style crinkle type Hose running up and into the Spark Plug Cover or a Soft smooth Hose - which would be the New Version .
A Few ( Not so Lucky Owners ) missed that and Blew out the - Rear Oil Seal . Just want a New Owner to be able to have some : Catch Up ,Catch Up - on
His Fries and NOT GET FRIED - in the Process of Buying a Used Volvo .
I appreciate it. I am fairly certain the PCV valve has been replaced but will double check the service records.

As for the fluid - I have not personally seen the leak. I'm going to need new ramps before I can get under the car, I've had a Protege (with much higher bumper clearance) for the last 7 years so my ramps and jack aren't going to cut it anymore. I can't explain why a tech wouldn't put effort into investigating/diagnosing the leak. Either he knew what was up and didn't fix it on purpose, or he just didn't understand the car and didn't smell/taste the fluid. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, besides, my real issue is with the dealership whose management gave him direction. I have a paper trail, including the conditional sale agreement, inspection report, and email correspondence between myself, the inspector, and the dealer.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So she's in the shop, and the mechanic (who has 40+ years experience with Volvos) has concluded that there's a problem with the clutch that requires pulling the tranny.

What's funny is I went in there, and said "there's a problem with the clutch, you'll probably have to pull the tranny, I suspect a slave cylinder failure". And then I had to wait 2 days for him to tell me what I already knew. That's a bit frustrating, but then again.. He's the Volvo expert, I'm just a Volvo owner who does "research" using online forums. He wouldn't do anything before taking it for a road test, which I guess is good. He didn't find a leak.

9.5 hours, he's charging me 9 (lucky me!) at $95/hr. So, before even knowing the problem, I will owe this guy close to $900. Good thing I'll be chasing the dealership down to recover my costs..

·
Registered
284 Posts
How common is this problem? Having just unnecessarily replaced a suspected failing dual mass flywheel in the B6 S4 I am trading in for my S40 T5 AWD on Monday for $2500, I'm really hoping to stay out of the transmission repair game for a while. The car has 91,000km. Is this an age related thing? Use related? I'm in the habit of double clutching my downshifts from driving forklifts with unsynchronized straight cut gears way back. Should I stop this to avoid extra wear on the slave?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
No - Don't double Clutch

How common is this problem? Having just unnecessarily replaced a suspected failing dual mass flywheel in the B6 S4 I am trading in for my S40 T5 AWD on Monday for $2500, I'm really hoping to stay out of the transmission repair game for a while. The car has 91,000km. Is this an age related thing? Use related? I'm in the habit of double clutching my downshifts from driving forklifts with unsynchronized straight cut gears way back. Should I stop this to avoid extra wear on the slave?

Shift It like a Motorcycle - just feather it most of the time ,,except for slow stroking around town .
There is a Shift Kit - which makes It - much easier to do .

The Issue in Discussion - has NOT been a Issue out of 20,000 Cars , maybe 100 I'd say .

It just the place where Volvo decided it have It Installed , It makes for a Bigger Job .

Clean Fluid , During Brake Bleeding - Use Gravity or a Pressure set upset
( If You Know what Your Doing ) on the ladder . I Personally don't ever push Peddle to Floor
During a Bleed ( If the Person inside goes to Fast ) too Floor could Catch a O-Ring in Master cly.. .

New Purchase - I'd certainly be checking it all over ( Records ) etc.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Shift It like a Motorcycle - just feather it most of the time ,,except for slow stroking around town .
There is a Shift Kit - which makes It - much easier to do .

The Issue in Discussion - has NOT been a Issue out of 20,000 Cars , maybe 100 I'd say .

It just the place where Volvo decided it have It Installed , It makes for a Bigger Job .

Clean Fluid , During Brake Bleeding - Use Gravity or a Pressure set upset
( If You Know what Your Doing ) on the ladder . I Personally don't ever push Peddle to Floor
During a Bleed ( If the Person inside goes to Fast ) too Floor could Catch a O-Ring in Master cly.. .

New Purchase - I'd certainly be checking it all over ( Records ) etc.
Thanks! Coming from a place where blown engines are more common than this issue, I look forward to the peace of mind that will come from owning this car.

Is the fluid shared between the braking and clutch system on these cars? A brake fluid flush at the Volvo dealer was actually part of the deal. It would be nice to know that is already taken care of.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Thanks! Coming from a place where blown engines are more common than this issue, I look forward to the peace of mind that will come from owning this car.

Is the fluid shared between the braking and clutch system on these cars? A brake fluid flush at the Volvo dealer was actually part of the deal. It would be nice to know that is already taken care of.
Yes!

I suspect that part of the reason for clutch slave cylinder failures has to do with poor maintenance of brake fluid. Air in the system, old fluid, overheated fluid, etc. We've seen clutch slave cylinder failures on R's during track days, but with plenty of friction material remaining on an in-tact clutch disc...

·
Registered
8,379 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks again for all of the info. I think I'm going to like this place... Now that I have new brake fluid, I've done all the preventative maintenance I can there, so hopefully I don't get unlucky. I think shortly after taking delivery I'll be doing the dif/transmission fluid. I almost bought an S40 T5 AWD instead of my S4 back in 2008, so it's pretty exciting to be finally getting my hands on one and get to give both vehicles a crack. This one seems like it will be much, much cheaper to own.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts