SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked around and didn't see much on the forum so I thought I'd ask a few questions.

I'm considering an auto to manual swap and want to know what parts are needed and if there are any quirks I should know about.

So far I have the m66 and transfer case and clutch flywheel. I need pedal box.

Do I need to swap the computer or will the auto ecu work with manual?

If I need to ecu swap than do I need to change wiring?

Do I need different tail shaft?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
If you can get a junker and have a few months - it's relatively doable. But again - this'll probably cost you $3,000 to start and go from there.

You'd need to remove every module and replace it with the junker's that stores the information it looks to compare between modules - so they all match and you don't have any issues.

These are NOT easy cars to transfer over. That being said is it possible? Yes - but you'll need a whole other car to do it. Volvo made sure everything talked to everything else and compared notes before starting up and not flashing any warning lights.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome. Thanks. This might be my parts car if insurance company will let me keep it. If not I'll need some goodies sent to Australia.

Are the auto diffs and manual diffs the same ratio?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Australia... a bit of a hike from North America. I have shipped to Australia but the shipping is costly and the more weight the more the cost.

I do not know if the gear ratios are the same auto vs manual. The subframe for the front and rear are different. A manual AWD front subframe and rear subframe will only work with a manual set up. Be sure to get the Subframes.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Australia... a bit of a hike from North America. I have shipped to Australia but the shipping is costly and the more weight the more the cost.

I do not know if the gear ratios are the same auto vs manual. The subframe for the front and rear are different. A manual AWD front subframe and rear subframe will only work with a manual set up. Be sure to get the Subframes.
According to pic I found a while ago, ratios may vary on gearbox types, by a lot. Not sure if that matter that much, but it is noticeable between my AWD and other FWD T5 when testing speed-per-rev etc
see pic
Text Document Paper

1 - 7 of 7 Posts