SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'am a new member to these forums. I just bought a 6 speed M 2006 S40 T5 and this question is directed to the members that also own this car.. During what RPM is the acceleration the greatest ? Also, which gear(s) is the T5 fastest in? I heard it picks up after 3rd since the turbo has time to kick in.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Well, depends on what you want to ride it on...

1st, 2nd and 3rd have the best acceleration... Floor it in 1st until about 6.000 rpm, floor it in 2nd until about 6.000 rpm and floor it in 3rd until about 6.000 rpm... That would be using the ponies.

Or rev it until about 4.000 rpm each gear and that is using the torque.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the torque maxes out at 1500 RPM and the horsepower around 5500 if i remember correctly. So when would it be the best to shift if you want a good torque and horsepower combination ?

·
Registered
624 Posts
6000rpms is what I usually go to with just an intake and inlet pipe. if I had exhaust and fmic i would go to redline. If I had a tune it would be different then. higher rpms for turbo cars is what you want

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
If you have access to your torque graph from a dyno run & the transmission ratios you can figure the exact numbers mathematically. HP is simply torque x RPM. Torque = acceleration & the gearbox is simply a torque multiplier. Lots of good info around on calculating shift points for maximum acceleration. This is pretty well written & keeps things simple:
Torque, HP, Shift Points
Maximum acceleration will occur in 1st gear at the engine's torque peak.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Torque is a modern number which people have no relation to.

Example in metric figures:
T5 has 320 nm, 220/230 hp (5 cylinders)
D3 has 350 nm, 150 hp (5 cylinders)
D5 has 350 nm or 400 nm (depending on gearbox), 180 hp (5 cylinders)
2.0l petrol has 185 nm, 145 hp (4 cylinders)

The T5 has the fastest acceleration. We all know that.
The D5 the second fastest. Sure, it is the most powerful diesel in the range (though now dropped since mid 2010)
Both the D3 and 2.0l petrol are equal with their acceleration to 100 km/h (62 mph).

The fact you have to bring into the equasion is not only the torque itself, but also how the torque developes (long constant curve? flat line? peaks/drops?) the revs and something very important: bhp.

People say BHP sells cars, torque wins races, but tell a Formula 1 driver, that his F1 racer has about 390-400 nm of torque and cannot win a race, as most diesels have more ;) But I don't see any diesels outaccelerating an F1 racer... You? ;)

Bring in RPM, BHP and torque and you get the numbers you want...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Has anybody looked @ how little torque F1 cars actually have? Their torque is typically minimal, high on hp, but the engines are designed to have almost NO torque curve; more like a torque line that's solid from the get go. Would LOVE their engineering.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Has anybody looked @ how little torque F1 cars actually have? Their torque is typically minimal, high on hp, but the engines are designed to have almost NO torque curve; more like a torque line that's solid from the get go. Would LOVE their engineering.
F1 weight in comparison to their power is negligible so you would not see much torque!
What creates torques is resistance (like the weight of your car or the load you carry) . . . as a member had on his signature. Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you ;)

So on heavy cars, somewhat like ours :p, the quicker the torque spike the faster you can use the power. Of-course it often increase together.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Audi R18...
It has the power but can't out run an F1 racer ;)

On top of that, the R18 only has a V6 and has more displacement, turbochargers and torque but not enough revs to get the speed :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts